Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I find this to be a horrible thing. Yes, I can appreciate modders wanting to get something for their work but don't make it a requirement, otherwise you'll likely drive off people that simply can't pay for mods in addition to paying for games.

Speaking just for myself, I would avoid any mod that requires payment like the plague for the exact reason I stated above. I have used a ton of mods for Skyrim and for several other games but that was because they were free and added life to the game I had already paid for. I simply don't have the budget to buy both games and mods for them and when it comes to a choice between Game or Mod...the obvious choice is Game every time.

By all means, if modders want to get some money from their work, make a system for letting people donate if they have the money to do so but don't lock those who can't pay out of being able to use mods, in the long term that will only kill the life support system that keeps games from dying after a few years.

In response to post #24561994. #24562179 is also a reply to the same post.

igorlipinski wrote:
hawki9009 wrote: dont forget that modder take their mods off Nexus and put it only on the Steam workshop ... 23.04 MODDING died RIP

I doubt many people will do that since it might not be legal for some of them to demand payment for their mods... The only guy I know to take his mods off Nexus is ThirteenOranges, but that's only since he got banned if I remember well... Another thing is that the bigger mods would be a pain in the ass to upload to workshop since there's a size limit for mods on the Workshop and the limit is quite restrictive... e.g. SMIM is uploaded to Workshop in 3 parts ;) Imagine uploading mods like the vanilla texture optimizers or Interesting NPCs to the Workshop... it would make a total mess out of everybody's mod setups

After seeing steam implementing costs for MODS, I'm gonna be a supporter here and I've never done these "supporting" before in my life. Well it's not much but it's the thought that counts right? If we're paying for a mod than what makes it any different from a DLC?

In response to post #24562094.

JetBoom21 wrote:

I say, if someone spents a lot of time making a good mod, then he should have the right to ask for something in return! Not everyone has a lot of money and this could help some modders to make a living.
Also, I trust the community to make this work out!