Information Regarding Mods That Can Be Found Both On Nexus and As Paid Content on Steam Workshop.

Erinaea

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boombro, on 24 Apr 2015 - 2:37 PM, said:

Just because mod a needs mod b, does not mean stealing. And wet and cold, I need will update the free version after 39/60 days.

It is stealing if they did not get permission to make money off it. The original creator has lost money in this case. If it is given away for use in free mods then that is the only way it can be used without permission to upgrade to paid for. There was no reason for a paid for mod clause because it was illegal to sell Skyrim mods, that has changed and new permission must be obtained for use in a paid for environment.

My mod, Phenderix Magic Evolved, will now be hosted on the steam workshop. (pending approval now)

The skyrim nexus version will exist as an old version that can still be used.

The new version which requires DLC and adds over 100 more spells will be available only on the steam workshop for $2.99.

I have put more than 1000+ hours into making this mod and would like to be compensated for people using my work.

Many mod authors put a lot of work into their creations and I believe this is a great opportunity for the community to give back.

I have modded for years and only one person has ever donated money to me. This is an obvious sign that the donation system does not work.

No one is entitled to anything, let alone free mods. People releasing mods for free should have gotten a lot more respect and thanks for the amount of time they spent on their creations.

The community needs to settle down and realize that in the long run this is a good thing and will result in much better mods being made.

This development has reinvigorated my interest in Skyrim modding and I will definitely continue to mod for Fallout 4 (whenever it is announced...E3 please!?!)

With every purchase of my mod, Skyrim Nexus will be getting a share of the money.

Please be understanding of this decision. I did not make it lightly.

All of my other 7 mods will be Nexus exclusives and not ever be ported to the Steam workshop.

Everyone needs to hold up a second before making lists. This is dividing the community badly enough as it is. At no point should anyone be upset at the modders involved.

The problem is that this is the modders getting screwed and thrown under the bus by Bethesda and Valve.

The moment you go from being a modder to selling your mod on the Workshop you cease being a peer in an enthusiast in a gaming community to being a merchant selling a product. If you feel you are a professional who deserves remuneration for your work (and I'm not speaking to anyone specifically but anyone thinking along this line) then I strongly encourage you to seek a partitime/full time job being paid professionally for your efforts and investment.

However when you say 'this is something I created, I deserve paid for it' then you're exactly like the phone company or cable company or the guy selling me a TV in Best Buy. You are a merchant and I'm a consumer, evaluating the cash value of the goods you want to sell me.

That functionally destroys the gaming community as it is. It's now business people and consumers and every modder, free or paid, is a business rival. Even the people who make (or made) free mods now have to be careful about their goods being stolen and sold for money. You don't introduce the sordid topic of coin into a social community and expect it not to change completely.

This whole concept has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with compensating modders for their work. This is Bethesda and Valve wanting modders to guilt/shame/compel the rest of the community into giving Bethesda/Valve more money. If Bethesda thinks your work is worth money they can hire you, pay you to create it then sell it to me as DLC. That isn't what's happening. They are throwing modders into the role of being merchants selling goods with no professional support. There is no support or protection in the Workshop. If someone takes all of, say, Bob Modders work and sells it all he has to do is NOT put pictures of the stolen content in this mod desc when it's up for the 7 day 'review' period. After which someone would have to buy it, pay the thief for it, recognize the stolen content, then contact Bob who would then have to pay the thief for it, identify it and file a DCMA takedown notice. The thief will have cash in their bank and face 0 consequences. Nobody gets a refund save people in their 24 hour refund period - at which point they get Steam Store Credit as a refund. The thief can do this again tomorrow with a new account.

Best option is to circle the wagons on Nexus and similar sites and be absolutely welcoming and understanding of the decisions any modder makes regarding their content. This system is designed to f*#@ them and burn the existing modding community to leverage the modders into extracting more money for Bethesda/Valve out of Skyrim. We certainly deserve plenty of blame for any modder who feels unappreciated or under-valued for their contributions but saying that every effort by everyone on any subject is due remuneration is a cruel thing to do. Should every fanfic author charge money for their work? If JK Rowling came out saying every Harry Potter fanfic author should charge and curses on those freeloading fans reading free fanfic... oh, and all those fanfic authors should make sure they get paid for everything they do and kick 65% of that up to her plus 10% for her publisher, or she'll sue them.

It's toxic.

It's not, however, something to blame modders for.

Chesko asked a lawyer on this matter in his sceand post. The lawyer said what I said.

Of course, I'm not a law expert. So I'm ready to stand corrected. If it what you saw is right, then paid mods will have lower quilty.

It is legal to honor kill in some countries, guess that's right too? The only reason Valve doesn't back down right now is because no legal actions have been taken. Thus far it's people thinking Valve and Bethesda would respect intellectual property, but because Bethesda says all public mods are actually owned by them, then to say otherwise would require a legal battle which NO modder will take up, considering Bethesda's team of retainers. You CAN make a case of this in court, but no one will. This is clearly piracy that is uncontested. Valve and Bethesda are big-showing the community while at the same time saying they are defending it.

I am taking a sabbatical from buying from Valve/Steam and Bethesda. I've cancelled all pre-orders citing this reason as why. I refuse to be part of a problem, even if I KNOW that most "gamers" (I quote because the title means nothing these days since few real gamers take a stand against being treated like idiots) will take it with a smile. There are other venues available for me to get my games. Bethesda and Valve will have to make up money lost from me, which is a bad business philosophy. All money lost due to parasitic behavior is money that could've been earned for just not being a bad guy.

So yes, there is legal precedent to take them to court over this and a victory would force both Valve and Bethesda to change their policies. Just because they have company policies now that say they can toss their weight around does NOT make it legal. It just means it hasn't been contested in court yet. No one smaller than a company with lawyers on retainer will have a chance, though.

You can dress it up all you want, Valve and Bethesda are now pirates. It is now proven, no contest.

If Microsoft demanded money for you writing a screenplay using Office, or Gimp demanded payment for you making a gif that got clicked so much it made ad revenue, you would think this is right? Remember, the CK is free. By Valve's own testament, we can use it to create anything we want and release it for money and Bethesda can't do anything about it. Only that's not what Valve or Bethesda will actually say. The difference is they have a team of lawyers that will bury anyone who doesn't in litigation. This is not about legal/illegal it is about contest/no contest. Valve simply knows no one will take them to court for it beyond a hearing.

PS: You argue about lower quality while not giving the other school of thought a gander. What happens when leeching off free mods by pirates uploading their own versions becomes so out of hand, the modding community STOPS making mods/releasing mods because they grow tired of it. This will happen. Mark my words.

Edited by Levantinium