ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24644384. #24646799 is also a reply to the same post.

Tigon_3rd wrote:
fetusthebard wrote: Chesko supported the ordeal. They are as much to blame for the reaction as Bethesda and Valve are. Our actions have consequences. When Italy decided it was going to be a part of the genocidal megalomaniacs that started WWII Mussolini made that decision willingly and with full knowledge that there would be outcry. So have the mod authors that supported this.

I'm not supporting harassment, and I'm certainly not angry at Chesko. I'm simply stating that they knew full well what they were getting into, and knew that they were siding with people that wanted to destroy free mods (and they do, Valve and Beth would be idiots not to, think of the cash to be made). This is fair, and if they were displeased with the results of their actions, good. In the future perhaps they won't side with money grubbing companies that care more about profit than the satisfaction of their users.

Like a f*#@ing cable company.

Chesko made some bad decisions, but he doesn't deserve harrassment and death threats. Such horrible behaviour on display by some people.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24637444. #24637704, #24638489, #24647534, #24647779 are all replies on the same post.

Milleuros wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: I completely respect and understand your point of view. For me, it's about the gesture of thanks and support the mod author wants to make to the Nexus. We all rationalise these things in different ways to ourselves, to make it seem bad or make it seem OK. I've rationalised it so that I'm OK with it, and I wanted to share that rationale with all of you.
Kentsui wrote: That first paragraph (from Milleuros) is actually a good way of explaining how I feel about this.

While it not being a secret, I feel coming forward about it in your first post about the paid Workshop opening would certainly have done more good than bad.

Considering how things turned-out between Chesko and Valve they certainly need to make some changes FAST or it'll continue to be a mess for everyone.

That 25/75 split is outrageous though and modders really REALLY should think about it twice.
locomotive1236 wrote: I don't believe in the statement black vs white only. There's always a grey area. It is easy in retrospect to look at a situation and say "You should have done this and I would have done that." That's not how real life works. There are no choices you make that do not have consequences. He made his choices based on what information he has available at the time. The justification he made in this blog justifies his thinking in the benefit of the mod users more than anything. It's not like he's earning money and spend it on himself. He's using the revenue to fund the site for users to download mods for free.

Call me a realist, but the real world cost money and you cannot live by principles alone.
PharCry wrote: Dark0ne, always supporting and get where you're coming from with the scale of a web site.

loco, nothing's ever B&W, it's better to not generalize with statements like that and just take in what there is to offer and decide on it from there (as opposed to, "this is good", "this is bad", "this is grey-ish"). Not bashing, just something a lot fall into. Not only that, it seems pretty obvious *most* protesters are just whining about having to potentially pay for mods, should the creator decide to go that route. I don't think any of us can do anything more than react to this when changes are made, and make a wave if things do start to go sideways. The idea is good, the practice needs a bit of work though, eh?

Please watch a couple of documentaries on the financial crash and see if you still have the stance that money makes the world go round.

In response to post #24646984. #24647104, #24647439, #24647524, #24647569 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote:
SchwererGustav wrote: This post wwll be deleted in...3...2...1...

You will see ;)
bigdeano89 wrote: Way to sound like an entitled 12 year old man. Dark0ne has been honest from the start. Good luck trying to find another site btw, all the others are either gone or ALSO took the service provider option. That includes AFKmods etc.

Dark0ne is not the only site to do that, so stop making them out to be the bad guys. Nexus has been around for years giving mod authors FREE space for mods big and small.
Dark0ne wrote:
As you paint yourself as the saviour of the free modding community

This post wwll be deleted in...3...2...1...

Why would I delete it? It's a perfect example of the people who don't actually read what I write and, in the process, make themselves look stupid.
SchwererGustav wrote: Because 2 of my comments got delleted befor...

The 1st was a bit aggressive the 2nd not at all.

ooooh someone is angry.

In response to post #24637584. #24638209, #24647644 are all replies on the same post.

Laast wrote:
GenBloodhorn wrote: Youre the guy from purity mod.

well done on that mod. still cant pay for it tho :3
locomotive1236 wrote: You were lucky to not be chosen as a scapegoat simply because your new mod was not on the Nexus for free from the beginning. Not to mention you had not promised a new update on the Nexus and then offer it on steam behind a paywall. People get emotional quickly when they feel betrayed, no matter what you have done for them in the past.

Hit edit on another post, my reply ended up here. Nexus, fix? Happened a few times already today... Will be posting a bug report tho, but figured I'd edit in this :\ Edited by PharCry

In response to post #24646984. #24647104, #24647439, #24647524, #24647569, #24647954 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote:

You will see ;)
bigdeano89 wrote: Way to sound like an entitled 12 year old man. Dark0ne has been honest from the start. Good luck trying to find another site btw, all the others are either gone or ALSO took the service provider option. That includes AFKmods etc.

Dark0ne is not the only site to do that, so stop making them out to be the bad guys. Nexus has been around for years giving mod authors FREE space for mods big and small.
Dark0ne wrote:

Why would I delete it? It's a perfect example of the people who don't actually read what I write and, in the process, make themselves look stupid.

rotwhip wrote: ooooh someone is angry.

I read what you wrote and I can only giggle that you have lowered yourself to calling me "stupid" LoL

You can fool all the kids here but anyone with real business and life experience sees right through you.

If I am stupid because I don't take your words at face value then so be it... I am a stupid person who drives a Super Snake and I am laughing at how stupid you may think I am.

Basically you are still supporting Pay-for-Mods just that you are calling it by a different name. Many modders like Emma (I guess you think she is stup[id too now eh? Remember her, yoiur old friend who helped you with your uploaded system all thiose years ago?) also believe that this is wrong in every aspect... but I guess we are just stupid.

I can't really tell youwhat I think of you because hey, I'm in an unfair possition where you are able to swing insults but I can't.

Congratulations! *Applause* Edited by Psijonica

Thank you for the explanation. I know right now the plans for the funds are to upgrade the forum servers, then a programmer, mobile friendly site, etc. Perhaps one thing to consider with this money source would be to protect the modders. Steam itself is not going to police for stolen mods, and there are rumors there that Workshop authors can delete and limit comments themselves, which destroys community policing. If Steam stays on this course and the system grows, maybe the Nexus could use this pocket change Steam tosses them to pay someone, part-time or whatever, to scan the Workshop for stolen mods and resources.

Otherwise popular free mod authors are going to have to check the Workshop constantly to catch their stolen work. Really this is Steam's responsibility, but if they continue this system and neglect it, the Nexus could take up the slack as a goodwill gesture to the modders.

It might be beneficial for the Nexus to use its current positive relationship with Steam to open the talks of setting up an official channel, employee, whatever, for the Nexus to report stolen content to Steam for removal.

It seems to me he's only being "transparent" NOW that it's out in the open. Had Chesko (who I'm not at all happy with, either) not made his statement, would we even have known about this?

I'm not as miffed about his non-disclosure as how he tried to spin it like he "predicted" this was going to happen. He knew exactly what was happening. He had already been contacted and had already accepted the bag of silver, then two days ago nonchalantly typed "Hey look, one of my predictions came true!" like he had some great amount of foresight and wisdom. THAT doesn't sit well with me at all.

At any rate, this isn't my website, it's Robin Scott's. It's his to do with as he sees fit, and like everyone else here I am bound to comply with his rules, provided I even continue to download mods from this site (which I haven't since this controversy began, and honestly I'm in no mood whatsoever to even think about mod testing or playing Skyrim right now).

All I can say is that if it WERE my website, there's no chance in Hell I'd be accepting money from the company who is poised to torpedo that site, the modding hobby, my livelihood, my way of life, and my place in the gaming community. At this point, I'd be distancing myself as far away from that company as possible, expressing my displeasure LOUDLY at the forefront of the movement that's organizing against paid mods, and not tiptoeing around in the shadows whispering "I just don't think it's a good idea guys" like Milton from Office Space. Not doing so suggests that perhaps he is afraid of Valve. Shrug, that's not for me to say.

At any rate, it's clear Dark0ne doesn't think he's done anything wrong, and that he feels he has nothing to be sorry for. He doesn't feel like he's betrayed the community he is supposed to protect, or that it's in no way hinky that that he's taking kickbacks...I mean proceeds from Valve. And it's clear he feels like he's standing on firm moral high ground.

I just don't think anything we, the modding community try to say or do is going to change that. So honestly, I wouldn't waste too much energy trying to do so.

In response to post #24643869.

PharCry wrote:

"ZERO IMPACT ON YOUR ABILITY TO LIVE."

Which means it has a very limited shelf life, and as expenses such as housing, medical and other necessities have gone up, people are quitting gaming because they can't afford it anymore. I quit gaming for this exact reason. Many others are too. Yes it is a rough area to navigate and it's not like many of us don't understand why the decision is made, but many of us are also aware that the bottom line of this system will be "Fork over more cash," or leave. that is what happens when your bottom line is profit (Which is the case for most large companies) If one must choose between gaming or hospital, most are going to choose hospital.

The people who this will hurt, are the sharers and the hobbyist those that do this stuff for free just because they want to share. I know that in this day in time it's crazy but those people are out their. If history is any marker, Bethesda and Value will find a way to make it to where any form of free modding is considered illegal by act of piracy and if you want to mod, you either mod in the name of the company, or you don't mod at all.

The one upside I see for this is that we may see people start making games, (After all if I'm being forced to start from scratch, I might as well just make my own game.)

sorry for the long rank. Just don't make the mistake of thinking everybody who can't afford to fork over cash is a freeloader that feels that these people are obligated to provide their content for free. Just don't be surprised when some people are hurt that they can no longer support the author they love simply because they can physically not afford to.

In response to post #24646984. #24647104, #24647439, #24647524, #24647569, #24647954, #24648029 are all replies on the same post.

Psijonica wrote:

You will see ;)

Dark0ne wrote:

rotwhip wrote: ooooh someone is angry.
Psijonica wrote: I read what you wrote and I can only giggle that you have lowered yourself to calling me "stupid" LoL

You can fool all the kids here but anyone with real business and life experience sees right through you.

If I am stupid because I don't take your words at face value then so be it... I am a stupid person who drives a Super Snake and I am laughing at how stupid you may think I am.

Basically you are still supporting Pay-for-Mods just that you are calling it by a different name. Many modders like Emma (I guess you think she is stup[id too now eh? Remember her, yoiur old friend who helped you with your uploaded system all thiose years ago?) also believe that this is wrong in every aspect... but I guess we are just stupid.

I can't really tell youwhat I think of you because hey, I'm in an unfair possition where you are able to swing insults but I can't.

Congratulations! *Applause*

he said you "make yourself[es] look stupid", not "you are stupid".