Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24731924. #24732119, #24732384, #24732499, #24732644 are all replies on the same post.

Mitch2129 wrote:
Cauldar wrote: Absolutely this. I have quietly sat back and watch the craziness over the last few days and it's been really difficult

I am going right now to donate to SkyUI, Frostfall, Immersive iHud and Wet & Cold. I've used their mods from the beginning and this has served as a good reminder that they've worked hard to make a great game even better. Thank you to all the modders for your great work!
JCDNWarrior wrote: This doesn't even have to be just donations, but supporting with friendly words and understanding, as well as offer even more support for beginning modders and promoting small-time modder's works if found to be potentially good.
spar117 wrote: It makes me realize just how under appreciated and under-rewarding mod developers are. Steam/Valve wanted modders rewarded for their work but went around it the wrong way. That system should have had a donation button in its place. I would certainly donate, but I am not that rich... **** it, I am going donate.
EvilDeadAsh34 wrote: I wouldn't donate to SkyUI if someone gave me the money to donate. Their arrogance has been absolutely ridiculous.

Successfully donated to Frostfall and Wet & Cold but there were no donate tabs for SkyUI and Immersive Hud. Pity. Those are two of my absolute favorites.

In response to post #24732124. #24732174, #24732224, #24732264, #24732339, #24732529, #24732594, #24732694, #24732724, #24732784 are all replies on the same post.

Salazanz wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Those "Greedy" modders are very unlikely to be back with their mods, and it's a damn shame.
JCDNWarrior wrote: I don't know if we could trust such modders anymore, though. We may also have to look out for spite updates from them for being caught between the two forces like this.

Having said that, I do hope they will return to the fold and redouble their modding efforts for the community.
phantompally76 wrote: It is. But others will take their place.
KoZAcK1021 wrote: Why? If they can't monetize it why not make it free?
calfurius wrote: Greedy modders? How is it greedy to sell what you work hard to make? Do you have a job? or have you ever sold a product that you made in your entire life?
Elta1 wrote: Too bad those "greedy modders" are some of the best modders.
akkalat85 wrote: They are part of our community. Remember, every one of them contributed to this scene over the years. If they come back we should welcome them with open arms. Every one of us is one less of them.
Dark0ne wrote: Most of those "greedy modders" you speak of kept all ther mods up on the Nexus, for free, through all this drama.
JCDNWarrior wrote: Once you sell a mod, you're a professional developer. This opens the can of worms, the people that buy and play your DLC also would be vastly more strict and demanding, logically, and you would probably be breaking many rules on commercial use of software that only may be used non-commercially. With Steam having such little quality control (early access, greenlight, even a few normal old re-released games) this would've catched fire easily.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about these things for a while though, until they try it again.

@calfurius, mods were never designed to be sold.

Refusing to pay for alterations to a product one has already purchased isn't greedy. It's common sense. No one forced mod authors to spend any amount of time on any mod. That's simply not how it works.

If mod authors want to make money, they need to stop farting around with video game data files and go get a job. We'll miss their creativity, but we'll get by. Edited by phantompally76

In response to post #24732344. #24732604, #24732704, #24732709 are all replies on the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.
phantompally76 wrote: I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

Riprock wrote: Hopefully time will make him realize that words on the internet are just words. We put way too much stock in typed messages.

The number of vitriol and death threats were insane. I couldn't blame them for leaving this community behind. It'd be depressing, but there you go.

In response to post #24732124. #24732174, #24732224, #24732264, #24732339, #24732529, #24732594, #24732694, #24732724, #24732769 are all replies on the same post.

Salazanz wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Those "Greedy" modders are very unlikely to be back with their mods, and it's a damn shame.
JCDNWarrior wrote: I don't know if we could trust such modders anymore, though. We may also have to look out for spite updates from them for being caught between the two forces like this.

Having said that, I do hope they will return to the fold and redouble their modding efforts for the community.
phantompally76 wrote: It is. But others will take their place.
KoZAcK1021 wrote: Why? If they can't monetize it why not make it free?
calfurius wrote: Greedy modders? How is it greedy to sell what you work hard to make? Do you have a job? or have you ever sold a product that you made in your entire life?
Elta1 wrote: Too bad those "greedy modders" are some of the best modders.
akkalat85 wrote: They are part of our community. Remember, every one of them contributed to this scene over the years. If they come back we should welcome them with open arms. Every one of us is one less of them.
Dark0ne wrote: Most of those "greedy modders" you speak of kept all ther mods up on the Nexus, for free, through all this drama.
phantompally76 wrote: @calfurius, mods were never designed to be sold.

Refusing to pay for alterations to a product one has already purchased isn't greedy. It's common sense. No one forced mod authors to spend any amount of time on any mod. That's simply not how it works.

If mod authors want to make money, they need to stop farting around with video game data files and go get a job.

Once you sell a mod, you're a professional developer. This opens the can of worms, the people that buy and play your DLC also would be vastly more strict and demanding, logically, and you would probably be breaking many rules on commercial use of software that only may be used non-commercially. With Steam having such little quality control (early access, greenlight, even a few normal old re-released games) this would've catched fire easily.

I'm glad we don't have to worry about these things for a while though, until they try it again.

I have very similar feelings regarding this. I feel like a lot of the fears about DRMification would have been alleviated if Bethesda had been this transparent from the beginning. Honestly, that idea terrified me. I have nothing against paying for mods, as a lot of people seem to. I get it. I think that the bad mods would simply have been ignored or whatever. Be that as it may, I'm glad that this is now seemingly over. I'm slightly disappointed that SkyUI 5.0 didn't get released before it Bethesda changed their minds. I would likely have bought it for $0.99, repackaged it for MO, gotten a refund and then donated to SkyUI here on the Nexus. I don't hold this against the SkyUI team like so many seem to, vituperating them as traitors. If they want to be paid, they should be paid. Their mod is good enough in my book. I just didn't want to reward Bethesda for making SkyUI necessary in the first place. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way. Also, it seemed like the SkyUI team were going to make sure the changes wouldn't affect the MCM so there would be no compatibility issues with future mod and version 4.1. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Anyway, as it stands now, I highly doubt we will see SkyUI truly finished. If we do, I will donate, and I hope others are willing to as well. If nothing else has come out of all of this, I will be a lot more likely to donate to my favorite mod authors in the future than I was before this all went down.