Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24731924. #24732119 is also a reply to the same post.

Mitch2129 wrote:
Cauldar wrote: Absolutely this. I have quietly sat back and watch the craziness over the last few days and it's been really difficult

I am going right now to donate to SkyUI, Frostfall, Immersive iHid and Wet & Cold. I've used their mods from the beginning and this has served as a good reminder that they've worked hard to make a great game even better. Thank you to all the modders for your great work!

This doesn't even have to be just donations, but supporting with friendly words and understanding, as well as offer even more support for beginning modders and promoting small-time modder's works if found to be potentially good.

I have seen some commenting about modders who left and tried to sell their mods, and how they should feel stupid.

Everyone, try to remember what makes us great. We are a community, hell, we're a family. No matter how you feel, or which side of this you were on, we have to put this unfortunate few days behind us, try to heal and move on.

We are stronger than this.

In response to post #24731774. #24731829, #24732304 are all replies on the same post.

SerjoFoxly wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: That time has passed, unfortunately. The friends I was due to go out with are returning tomorrow!
jfisha wrote: Meet me in Kentucky for the horse races this weekend. Bourbon's on me :P I'll be the fat guy in the infield crying because I lost a bunch of money. I'm sure that'll help you find me.

Would it be too soon to say I told you so?

Yeah I feel sorry for Bethesda too - and even more so for the mod authors who were crucified out there.

This is just a case of bad communication in the end, the Marketing/Advertising team of both Beth and Valve did a terrible job. Man, they should know fans are the most ferocious crowd to deal with - as well as their most ardent sales force. Any brand needs to really think twice and prepare long speeches before addressing fans.

In response to post #24731774. #24731829, #24732304, #24732414 are all replies on the same post.

SerjoFoxly wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: That time has passed, unfortunately. The friends I was due to go out with are returning tomorrow!
jfisha wrote: Meet me in Kentucky for the horse races this weekend. Bourbon's on me :P I'll be the fat guy in the infield crying because I lost a bunch of money. I'm sure that'll help you find me.
setiweb wrote: Would it be too soon to say I told you so?

I live in "Louisville" I'll be there as well drunk on Makers-Mark. We can all have a blast.

This is one of the best possible outcomes to the situation. Bethesda tried to push a new idea, lots of very vocal fans pushed back and they changed their minds. Honestly, the fact that they tried this in the first place is not nearly as important to me as the fact that they were willing to respond positively to all of the negative feedback they received and change their minds despite obviously not wanting to. You can say it was done out of greed but I'd much rather a developer that listens to its fans out of greed than one that doesn't because they just don't care.

In response to post #24732359.

Reaper0021 wrote:

There was a massive war machine being prepared and pushed out from various anonymous sites throughout the days too, as well as the massive spreading of the information.

I very much doubt that Beth and Valve would've stopped if it wasn't for the absolutely massive resistance from modders, the community, and the gaming community as a whole.

In response to post #24731774. #24731829, #24732304, #24732414, #24732439 are all replies on the same post.

SerjoFoxly wrote:
setiweb wrote: Would it be too soon to say I told you so?
Reaper0021 wrote: I live in "Louisville" I'll be there as well drunk on Makers-Mark. We can all have a blast.

I'm heading up north in a few months, if you to pay the Canucks a visit. :3

In response to post #24731924. #24732119, #24732384 are all replies on the same post.

Mitch2129 wrote:
Cauldar wrote: Absolutely this. I have quietly sat back and watch the craziness over the last few days and it's been really difficult

I am going right now to donate to SkyUI, Frostfall, Immersive iHid and Wet & Cold. I've used their mods from the beginning and this has served as a good reminder that they've worked hard to make a great game even better. Thank you to all the modders for your great work!
JCDNWarrior wrote: This doesn't even have to be just donations, but supporting with friendly words and understanding, as well as offer even more support for beginning modders and promoting small-time modder's works if found to be potentially good.

It makes me realize just how under appreciated and under-rewarding mod developers are. Steam/Valve wanted modders rewarded for their work but went around it the wrong way. That system should have had a donation button in its place. I would certainly donate, but I am not that rich... **** it, I am going donate.