Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

I wouldn't be so fast to praise Bethesda to heaven again Dark0ne. Sure they offered SDK's for all the games for free. But these were helping them indirectly, raising their reputation and gaining massive popularity by having that huge modding community. This reflects in the number of sells.

You can't deny they wanted to do this for profit now. You are naive if you believe they did this mainly for the greater good of modding, I'm pretty certain they did this exclusivly for money purposes or as a test for future titles, how to raise more money there.

They knew exactly how this would hurt the modding community, even if they say otherwise now.

We have to take care now, I feel like this isn't over in the long run. I hope they are honest with what they say about DRMification; The one thing that is certain is they would not tell the community now if they actually planned DRMification, so it might be aswell not the truth..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would like to see is Bethesda hosting a modding contest where the community votes on mods which they would like to see get the full backing of the studio, essentially turning them into paid DLC with royalties to the author. The mod would go through a full vetting process to make sure it is both properly implemented into the game and into the lore. No waifus.

This would make it so consumers are confident that they are getting a proper product that is worth the money and one that will not totally break your game. The attention surrounding its release will also give modders a heads up that they might have to create a compatibility patch like they did for Dawngaurd or Dragonborn.

Of course, this means that modders can freely use the winner's resources, but what do they care? You have to pay them to.

In response to post #24732124. #24732174, #24732224, #24732264, #24732339 are all replies on the same post.

Salazanz wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Those "Greedy" modders are very unlikely to be back with their mods, and it's a damn shame.
JCDNWarrior wrote: I don't know if we could trust such modders anymore, though. We may also have to look out for spite updates from them for being caught between the two forces like this.

Having said that, I do hope they will return to the fold and redouble their modding efforts for the community.
phantompally76 wrote: It is. But others will take their place.
KoZAcK1021 wrote: Why? If they can't monetize it why not make it free?

Greedy modders? How is it greedy to sell what you work hard to make? Do you have a job? or have you ever sold a product that you made in your entire life?

In response to post #24731774. #24731829, #24732304, #24732414, #24732439, #24732464 are all replies on the same post.

SerjoFoxly wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: That time has passed, unfortunately. The friends I was due to go out with are returning tomorrow!
jfisha wrote: Meet me in Kentucky for the horse races this weekend. Bourbon's on me :P I'll be the fat guy in the infield crying because I lost a bunch of money. I'm sure that'll help you find me.
setiweb wrote: Would it be too soon to say I told you so?
Reaper0021 wrote: I live in "Louisville" I'll be there as well drunk on Makers-Mark. We can all have a blast.
WightMage wrote: I'm heading up north in a few months, if you to pay the Canucks a visit. :3

We can have some victory shots, Reaper. Maybe that'll dull some of the pain from my failed betting.

Well ladies and gents, its been a pleasure serving with you. Mission... Accomplished?

I guess the real question is, was it quickly enough? Can we come together again as one Community, United Under Nexus?

I certainly hope so. And although I personally still seethe at Beth and the valve she sat upon, ( :P ) I would like to thank Valve and Bethesda for doing the right thing, at least given the circumstances. Maybe this can be worked on so that fewer people are shafted in the future, and those who want to be paid, can be.

On that note, I hope we as a community continue this donating spree we started ever since the drama began. Goodness knows, some of these modders totally deserve it.

This isn't just a win for the modding community, it's a win for gaming in general. Everyone who flew a banner, everyone who shared links to the petition, everyone who stood together to shout down the paywall... We have a voice and we were heard.

We won this battle, but I fear the armies are regrouping and this war is far from over.

Edited by akkalat85

In response to post #24732124. #24732174, #24732224, #24732264, #24732339, #24732529 are all replies on the same post.

Salazanz wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Those "Greedy" modders are very unlikely to be back with their mods, and it's a damn shame.
JCDNWarrior wrote: I don't know if we could trust such modders anymore, though. We may also have to look out for spite updates from them for being caught between the two forces like this.

Having said that, I do hope they will return to the fold and redouble their modding efforts for the community.
phantompally76 wrote: It is. But others will take their place.
KoZAcK1021 wrote: Why? If they can't monetize it why not make it free?
calfurius wrote: Greedy modders? How is it greedy to sell what you work hard to make? Do you have a job? or have you ever sold a product that you made in your entire life?

Too bad those "greedy modders" are some of the best modders.

In response to post #24732344.

CelticPaladin wrote:

I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.

Well...There you have it. I am both sad and happy by this. Happy to see that things may finally settle down, sad that we lost great modders and the uproar this all created. This wouldn't have been too terrible a business model to work on and improve, but their fatal error I think was trying to do something like this in a community that has been well-established over the last few years. If they do this again, it should be on a newly-launched game. Edited by arecaidianfox