Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

Bethesda listened to us.

I guess I have gotten really skeptical about game companies but that really was something I didn't expect. You gotta hand it to them. They listened.

Thanks Bethesda for doing the right thing. You have my respect and loyalty and this game player has a long memory.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24733934. #24734419 is also a reply to the same post.

kjj92 wrote:
Beetlecat wrote: Heh. No kidding. Even so -- I made a point of visiting his and chesko's paypal pages (via nexus) to kick them a thank you for all they had provided me up to this point.

Maybe it was a backhanded "f*#@ you very much" and maybe it's passive aggressive of me --I am from Seattle after all-- but I honestly *do* feel like they've contributed in no small part to making Skyrim a better game after all these years.

I'm not expecting a more heart-felt apology from isoku, but I know this SW implosion has to hurt. ;)

As for most of the rest of those "top mods" chosen for the roll-out. What the HELL?

Indeed. Almost none of them would have been endorsed or popular as FREE mods, let alone paid mods.

If I was a talented modder, and I was contacted by that company, and if I didn't have any principles, and was dumb enough to buy into that scam, you can bet your sweet bippy I would have brought my A-game with the most impressive mod I could create. Otherwise, what would have been the point?

The general consensus was that of those 17 (19) mods, only one of them was worth any amount of money, because all the others were either 1). crappy mods, 2). still in very early development, 3). stripped down updates of mods we already have for free.

In response to post #24734539. #24734589 is also a reply to the same post.

fore wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Considering they said only 8% of total Skyrim customers play mods, and less than 1% actually make them, then no I don't think 50% of their sales would be gone if the SDK wasn't released.

8% ??? Beg your pardon. How do they count that?

Skyrim HD alone has 7,3 Million users. What's the total count of Skyrim customers? Edited by fore

In response to post #24733934. #24734419, #24734709 are all replies on the same post.

kjj92 wrote:
Beetlecat wrote: Heh. No kidding. Even so -- I made a point of visiting his and chesko's paypal pages (via nexus) to kick them a thank you for all they had provided me up to this point.

Maybe it was a backhanded "f*#@ you very much" and maybe it's passive aggressive of me --I am from Seattle after all-- but I honestly *do* feel like they've contributed in no small part to making Skyrim a better game after all these years.

I'm not expecting a more heart-felt apology from isoku, but I know this SW implosion has to hurt. ;)

As for most of the rest of those "top mods" chosen for the roll-out. What the HELL?
phantompally76 wrote: Indeed. Almost none of them would have been endorsed or popular as FREE mods, let alone paid mods.

If I was a talented modder, and I was contacted by that company, and if I didn't have any principles, and was dumb enough to buy into that scam, you can bet your sweet bippy I would have brought my A-game with the most impressive mod I could create. Otherwise, what would have been the point?

The general consensus was that of those 17 (19) mods, only one of them was worth any amount of money, because all the others were either 1). crappy mods, 2). still in very early development, 3). stripped down updates of mods we already have for free.

Why on earth would you believe that isoku or any one else owes you an apology? Quite a sense of entitlement you're carrying around there.

In response to post #24732344. #24732604, #24732704, #24732709, #24732774, #24732869, #24732879, #24733044, #24733464, #24733739, #24733824, #24733844, #24734224, #24734679 are all replies on the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.
phantompally76 wrote: I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

Riprock wrote: Hopefully time will make him realize that words on the internet are just words. We put way too much stock in typed messages.
CelticPaladin wrote: The number of vitriol and death threats were insane. I couldn't blame them for leaving this community behind. It'd be depressing, but there you go.
meredithmiles wrote: What I don't understand is why Arthmoor, Chesko and Isoku don't already have job offers in hand. Seriously, they are all three hardworking, dedicated and skilled. If I ran a game company I'd have snatched them up ages ago.

This is a great time to donate to them, I think.
jfisha wrote: Each team only lost a handful of endorsements. Yes, there was some angry vitriol, but most people respectfully disagreed with what they did. No more, no less.
BarnabasCollins wrote: I don't even see why people were targeting the modders anyway. For me this was never even about the modders, but the future of modding itself. The modders are innocent.
oblivion104 wrote: I stayed away from the melodrama and only sign the petition,but what happened to chesko??

Also, what happened to the paid mods? Did they take it down?
phantompally76 wrote: heh, apt user name there.

Wait, there are mods for Skyrim??????
Noortje wrote: They would never have updated skyui if it wasn't for the pay offer. I doubt they will finish skyui 5.0 and release it now, but it's not like it was ever going to be free in the first place.
Saije wrote: f*#@ that... We weren't black hearted. They were when they gave us a big green middle finger.
SNSDLOVER wrote: Honestly if they love modding and love sharing their mods to us, I doubt theyll leave. Modding could be their hobby or passion so Im certain this wont make them go away.
redrat07 wrote: there were d-threats to people who left to go to the paid system ?

@redrat, not in the quantities that people here want you to believe.

There was certainly some of it.....there always is. But the vast majority of butthurt mod authors and white knights are including irate mod users who posted "uninstalled and unendorsed, shame on you" along with any amount of criticism in that category. And THOSE comments grossly outnumbered any sort of threats, and were perfectly fair and justified. Edited by phantompally76

In response to post #24734539. #24734589, #24734829 are all replies on the same post.

fore wrote:
CelticPaladin wrote: Considering they said only 8% of total Skyrim customers play mods, and less than 1% actually make them, then no I don't think 50% of their sales would be gone if the SDK wasn't released.
fore wrote: 8% ??? Beg your pardon. How do they count that?

Skyrim HD alone has 7,3 Million users. What's the total count of Skyrim customers?

I don't trust their numbers. I don't know a single person who plays the PC variants of any of Bethsofts games that doesn't run AT LEAST a dozen mods. I'd need to see their data collection methods to agree to their posted results.

In response to post #24734694.

taerie wrote:

No, Valve listened to us and Bethesda had to fold as well, since they were the hosts.

Bethesda literally release a "U Mad?" post talking about how they deserve 45% and that they don't need the money cause it only generate 1% of their gains.

Then 1 hour or so later, Valve releases a we pulled out post and Bethesda had to redact theirs.

Valve didn't want to upset their community because of 1 IP.

Bethesda had to give up cause they can't make money without Steams backing. They'd have to spend money if they wanted to sale mods without Steam.

In response to post #24734539. #24734589, #24734829, #24734894 are all replies on the same post.

fore wrote:
fore wrote: 8% ??? Beg your pardon. How do they count that?

Skyrim HD alone has 7,3 Million users. What's the total count of Skyrim customers?
Brasscatcher wrote: I don't trust their numbers. I don't know a single person who plays the PC variants of any of Bethsofts games that doesn't run AT LEAST a dozen mods. I'd need to see their data collection methods to agree to their posted results.

@Celtic
They never gave the source of those numbers but assuming we go off of the top downloaded mod with 7.3m downloads (15.2m total, this is just unique users) with 8% that puts the user count for PC users at 91m users assuming the entire 8% of modders use the 2k texture pack. The only figure they have released is 20m sales across all platforms in 2013. It's highly unlikely that sales have doubled but even so you should be able to see some number discrepancies. I have little doubt that they fluffed the percentages by using console sales. Take their apology with a grain of salt.