Shouldn't vampires be able to breathe underwater?

majikmonkee

In historical accounts of vampires (they are fictional, I know - but, by historical, I go by texts in which they first appeared) or of anything undead really, they cannot cross running water.

So, zombies, ghouls, vampires, ect. can't even cross a damn bridge, let alone swim.

BUT, then again, this is just good 'ol fashion superstition, fiction and such.

Honestly, I think Oblivion reversed the vampires - getting stronger from not eating...doesn't make sense. But hey, they made the game - not me. ;3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it kinda does because vampires are known to go into "blood desperation" mode when not fed. Perhaps that's it. What I'd like to see as a mod is certain stats increasing and decreasing based on blood taken. For example, more blood increases personality but makes strength go down, while less blood, causing blood desperation, decreases personality but boosts strength. Or something like that.

Twilight sucks..

But just out of curiosity, how do you know they can't breathe under water? :wacko:

In vanilla Oblivion, they can't. Since I nearly always play a vampire (sometimes with mods for it, sometimes without), I long ago edited one of my own mods to add water breathing as a vampire trait. I'm sure it was not a part of vanilla vampirism.

Twilight sucks..

But just out of curiosity, how do you know they can't breathe under water? :wacko:

How? Become a vampire. Remove all enchanted clothing and protective enchantments. Jump into the water. Wait.

Thank you for making me look like a dumbass. :thumbsup: lol.

From a purely biological standpoint (I know, there are no real vampires, but still...) vampires are basically intelligent walking dead. In any mythology where vampires are acknowledged as undead, they generally lack a beating heart, so no respiration is occuring. Dead people don't require oxygen, and without a beating heart, even if you breathe, the air isn't doing any good, it's not being passed through your blood stream, it's just sitting in your lungs. So basically, what I'm trying to say is that vampires don't need to breathe above water, so there's no reason why being underwater should bother them...

Yeah, but there's nowhere in the game world I've seen that the pressure would be too crushing for a human body to withstand. Plus with the arguably "superhuman" traits you can acquire in later stages of Vampirism, the resistance to that pressure could also become greater than the average human, or otherwise normal character of any race in the game. Majik brings up a good point with the undead thing. I mean, they really don't need oxygen. Bringing that point up, though, I wonder why a stake through the heart kills them. :thumbsup: