⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

File bug reporting system and image uploading updates

Dark0ne

In response to post #25144454.

ShivasBane wrote: As a very active mod user, I am enthralled by the way the game can be modded and therefore becomes a new experience during/or starting a play-through. I have been playing long enough that certain mods/characters have become essential to my experience. Sorry Lydia. I am also for some kind of system which would allow fixes to unmaintained mods. Perhaps if a mod author does not reply to queries within a certain time frame the mod could be considered abandoned and that community fixes, and only those fixes which directly address the bug issues, could be uploaded to the original authors page with proper credit given for all parties involved.

That's an excellent idea.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #25091049. #25111084, #25116644, #25120234, #25160479, #25163064 are all replies on the same post.

Sharlikran wrote: As helpful as this will be I am wondering if there are plans to have certain designated members have the ability to upload the fixes themselves. For example, a mod Ambassador. An author could have a mod with deleted NavMeshes or deleted references and doesn't know that any mod loaded after the mod that tries to access one of the deleted NavMeshes or deleted references will cause Skyrim to Crash. A mod Ambassador could resolve the issues and upload a new file on behalf of the author.

Granted that could be an op-in type of feature as well however, I recommend against it. The intent is not to disparage the authors work or to change the creative intent of the mod. It is only intended to resolve critical issues and to help the modding community have a more stable game experience. This would also allow some mods to be fixed when the author no longer maintains the mod. Permissions wouldn't be an issue because the same mod that the author wrote is simply fixed and uploaded to the same authors page.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: You can already allow other users to edit your file, in the Edit Attributes options :) Unless I'm misreading what you're saying.

You would need to set them yourself in this case. Unless you're suggesting the nexus creates a team of people to do this.
ThreeTen wrote: "This would also allow some mods to be fixed when the author no longer maintains the mod." I feel your pain there. Many of the errors are from mods that are no longer actively maintained (mod authors are unreachable), We can try to upload new files as fixes but theres a small chance people would even notice and im pretty sure thats against the nexus rules to begin with.

Having *official* fixes that are perhaps linked to this bug report system would help these old but still extremely popular mods would go a long way.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: I'm pretty sure this would also encroach upon the file permission debate.
Sharlikran wrote: B1gBadDaddy, no I'm not talking about that. For example if an Ambassador knew a mod had deleted references and NavMeshes and other issues that will cause a CTD he could fix the mod and upload the new version. The ambassador wouldn't need to ask permission it would just be done. Not to be arrogant or disparage the Authors work but to benefit the modding community and provide stability for the mod.

For mods that are no longer maintained this would be a huge help and would circumvent the need to ask for permission. For mods that are popular and fairly new some mod authors simply don't know how to fix critical issues even though there are Wiki Pages, Forum Posts, and Youtube Videos. There are many example of the errors and CTDs from credible people like Myself, Zilav, Hlp, Arthmoor, Gopher, to name a few that can demonstrate how a Deleted NavMesh effects the game. The best example being a mod that alters the NavMesh in the Breezehome. If the mod author doesn't have a separate version for Skyrim.esm only and one for Hearthfires, anyone with Hearthfires will get a CTD entering the Breezehome if they have the Skyrim only version. So this isn't conjecture.

As far as permissions that's not an issue because you upload it to the original authors page. A mod ambassador would be like a forum moderator so only a few select people would have access to do this. As far as users knowing it would be the same way it is now where when you open NMM you see that a new version is available.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: I would support this idea for sure, and I see no reason why modders wouldn't.

This can already be done if the mod creator's permissions allow it. Mod creators don't set those permissions without some thought. What you have done with the patches, Sharlikran--obtaining permission from the original creator of the mod--that is exactly how it should be done. Anything else is IP theft and should not be allowed. It may be inconvenient, but that's just the way it is. I find it inconvenient that I don't have access to the Windows source code so that I can make certain "fixes" and redistribute my preferred version (all credit to Microsoft, of course), but that's just the way it is. What you're proposing has been discussed before and is a non-starter for most mod creators. If the Nexus allowed it, mod creators would revolt, which is why we have the permissions system we have. Edited by Pevey

Suggestion about private & public bug reports

would be nice to have a half-private - half public option

for example :

public => mod crash near town X while doing Y & Z

private => user config

public => status : being looked at

private => savegame link

public => status : resolved

public => related to (anonymous extract from user config)

just examples of course.

Reason I say this is that for user support in general, the less private bug reports the better probably so that users can look up & see what's been solved before & how (it's not always 100% the mod's fault, sometimes it's a mod interaction or something else.)

Edited by whismerhill

In response to post #25091049. #25111084, #25116644, #25120234, #25160479, #25163064, #25172664 are all replies on the same post.

Sharlikran wrote: As helpful as this will be I am wondering if there are plans to have certain designated members have the ability to upload the fixes themselves. For example, a mod Ambassador. An author could have a mod with deleted NavMeshes or deleted references and doesn't know that any mod loaded after the mod that tries to access one of the deleted NavMeshes or deleted references will cause Skyrim to Crash. A mod Ambassador could resolve the issues and upload a new file on behalf of the author.

Granted that could be an op-in type of feature as well however, I recommend against it. The intent is not to disparage the authors work or to change the creative intent of the mod. It is only intended to resolve critical issues and to help the modding community have a more stable game experience. This would also allow some mods to be fixed when the author no longer maintains the mod. Permissions wouldn't be an issue because the same mod that the author wrote is simply fixed and uploaded to the same authors page.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: You can already allow other users to edit your file, in the Edit Attributes options :) Unless I'm misreading what you're saying.

You would need to set them yourself in this case. Unless you're suggesting the nexus creates a team of people to do this.
ThreeTen wrote: "This would also allow some mods to be fixed when the author no longer maintains the mod." I feel your pain there. Many of the errors are from mods that are no longer actively maintained (mod authors are unreachable), We can try to upload new files as fixes but theres a small chance people would even notice and im pretty sure thats against the nexus rules to begin with.

Having *official* fixes that are perhaps linked to this bug report system would help these old but still extremely popular mods would go a long way.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: I'm pretty sure this would also encroach upon the file permission debate.
Sharlikran wrote: B1gBadDaddy, no I'm not talking about that. For example if an Ambassador knew a mod had deleted references and NavMeshes and other issues that will cause a CTD he could fix the mod and upload the new version. The ambassador wouldn't need to ask permission it would just be done. Not to be arrogant or disparage the Authors work but to benefit the modding community and provide stability for the mod.

For mods that are no longer maintained this would be a huge help and would circumvent the need to ask for permission. For mods that are popular and fairly new some mod authors simply don't know how to fix critical issues even though there are Wiki Pages, Forum Posts, and Youtube Videos. There are many example of the errors and CTDs from credible people like Myself, Zilav, Hlp, Arthmoor, Gopher, to name a few that can demonstrate how a Deleted NavMesh effects the game. The best example being a mod that alters the NavMesh in the Breezehome. If the mod author doesn't have a separate version for Skyrim.esm only and one for Hearthfires, anyone with Hearthfires will get a CTD entering the Breezehome if they have the Skyrim only version. So this isn't conjecture.

As far as permissions that's not an issue because you upload it to the original authors page. A mod ambassador would be like a forum moderator so only a few select people would have access to do this. As far as users knowing it would be the same way it is now where when you open NMM you see that a new version is available.
B1gBadDaddy wrote: I would support this idea for sure, and I see no reason why modders wouldn't.
Pevey wrote: This can already be done if the mod creator's permissions allow it. Mod creators don't set those permissions without some thought. What you have done with the patches, Sharlikran--obtaining permission from the original creator of the mod--that is exactly how it should be done. Anything else is IP theft and should not be allowed. It may be inconvenient, but that's just the way it is. I find it inconvenient that I don't have access to the Windows source code so that I can make certain "fixes" and redistribute my preferred version (all credit to Microsoft, of course), but that's just the way it is. What you're proposing has been discussed before and is a non-starter for most mod creators. If the Nexus allowed it, mod creators would revolt, which is why we have the permissions system we have.

Perhaps Pevey, there could be an 'Opt in' button for a Nexus Ambassador to 'help' where things are just too much for the Author, I for one would welcome help on most/any of my fiddelings, But... I can see a problem of many more mods being created in a very slapdash manner being uploaded and left to the Ambassadors to sort out!
Secondly, would the 'Ambassadors' get recompense for their continued assistance to the original Authors or would they just spend loads of their time working through a backlog of bugs that in itself would no doubt be boring, monotonous and thankless?

Perhaps I'm reading more into this than is there and adding experience from 'No Grip Racing' where on one occasion a popular mod just wouldn't work and the a particular moderator got fed up with attempting to contact the Author for a fix and threatened to pull the mod down as it fell below standard, another Modder offered to help and fix the file to make it usable, excellent job everyone said and downloaded the new file, however at no point is the fixer credited

In response to post #25178489. #25179559 is also a reply to the same post.

Saerileth wrote: I'm curious, do bug reports trigger notifications? Or do I have to track them down on my own for each mod page? I hope not...
B1gBadDaddy wrote: I got a notification, but like comments, not via email.

You can turn notifications for bug reports on or off in your preferences

In response to post #25091049. #25111084, #25116644, #25120234, #25160479, #25163064, #25172664, #25179314 are all replies on the same post.

Pevey wrote: This can already be done if the mod creator's permissions allow it. Mod creators don't set those permissions without some thought. What you have done with the patches, Sharlikran--obtaining permission from the original creator of the mod--that is exactly how it should be done. Anything else is IP theft and should not be allowed. It may be inconvenient, but that's just the way it is. I find it inconvenient that I don't have access to the Windows source code so that I can make certain "fixes" and redistribute my preferred version (all credit to Microsoft, of course), but that's just the way it is. What you're proposing has been discussed before and is a non-starter for most mod creators. If the Nexus allowed it, mod creators would revolt, which is why we have the permissions system we have.
Saggaris wrote: Perhaps Pevey, there could be an 'Opt in' button for a Nexus Ambassador to 'help' where things are just too much for the Author, I for one would welcome help on most/any of my fiddelings, But... I can see a problem of many more mods being created in a very slapdash manner being uploaded and left to the Ambassadors to sort out!
Secondly, would the 'Ambassadors' get recompense for their continued assistance to the original Authors or would they just spend loads of their time working through a backlog of bugs that in itself would no doubt be boring, monotonous and thankless?

Perhaps I'm reading more into this than is there and adding experience from 'No Grip Racing' where on one occasion a popular mod just wouldn't work and the a particular moderator got fed up with attempting to contact the Author for a fix and threatened to pull the mod down as it fell below standard, another Modder offered to help and fix the file to make it usable, excellent job everyone said and downloaded the new file, however at no point is the fixer credited

There is already an opt-in for this. Look at your permissions settings.

In response to post #25091049. #25111084, #25116644, #25120234, #25160479, #25163064, #25172664, #25179314, #25183679 are all replies on the same post.

Saggaris wrote: Perhaps Pevey, there could be an 'Opt in' button for a Nexus Ambassador to 'help' where things are just too much for the Author, I for one would welcome help on most/any of my fiddelings, But... I can see a problem of many more mods being created in a very slapdash manner being uploaded and left to the Ambassadors to sort out!

Pevey wrote: There is already an opt-in for this. Look at your permissions settings.

Well, things seem to have changed a bit since I last paid attention to what I was doing :)
I have just updated my permissions to support what I said above... well as near as I could work out.
Though it seems I need to set them (permissions) myself and that with any reasonable assumption would need a discussion with the chosen modder first!
And Yes I was rather thinking along the lines of a kinda 'Nexus fix it Team'

In response to post #25106774. #25110759, #25131594 are all replies on the same post.

EnvyDeveloper wrote: I can't upload any images to my mod. It just hangs perpetually when I try to upload it. :(
ElfyPers0n wrote: Same here :/
Edit: It worked on IE, for some reason.
EnvyDeveloper wrote: It doesn't work in IE for me.

Just tried with IE also, can confirm. It just refuses to upload, period. On my main browser, dragging and placing does nothing, while clicking the manual upload button also does nothing. On IE, dragging and dropping only shows the image on my computer while not actually uploading the image, while the manual button - surprise, surprise - also does not work.

At this point, I am wondering what I should do to use the new and "improved" image system that replaced the perfectly functional old image upload system, should I download three alternate browsers in the vain hope that one of them will allow me to post images of my mods/stuff I downloaded to other users who may benefit from knowing what they're downloading beforehand? Should I beg others for whom this incorrigible new system works to upload my images for me?

I can't imagine who in the world is so inconvenienced by reloading pages that they can use it as justification to break the previously-functional image system. Whoever you guys are/were, thanks guys! Edited by mindumindumindu