Will you be buying a new rig for skyrim

Dianadoesitbest

Even then it is still somewhat guesswork. Not all PCs are created equal. Some PCs that are in the "recommended" class may perform like it was in the "minimum" class.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just upgraded my entire rig less than a year ago for RL stuff. I won't be laying out more cash any time soon. With the way the economy is now, I doubt most people will be spending money on rigs to run a game. And this has already been said, but I believe the game specs won't be any higher than what's needed for a Bethsoft game on high settings.

No, I won't be buying a new rig as I also suspect it isn't going to need a monster to run it. My desktop is two years old but has two ATI 4850's that can run everything on full except DX11 games like Metro 2033. It eats Black Ops for breakfast. Should Skyrim require DX11 then I will run it on the gaming laptop which has very similar specs and performance to the ones that LHammonds posted in regards to the video card and RAM, different HDD of course but the results come out similar.

Nope, I built this computer last year and spent a lot of money on it. I build my PCs with very high end components to last me for 5 years at least (and over those 5 years I save up money again for the my next PC - £20 a month or so). I'm currently playing all new games at 1920x1200 with everything cranked up to max with plenty of AA and AF and lots other goodies. I'm expecting Skyrim to run just fine... and if it doesn't, then I can surely turn to all the helpful modders who will be cranking out optimization mods. ;) Edited by Olurum

so it looks like they haven't posted the hardware requirement for Skyrim

and people are theorizing about new machines

Yes, most everything about Skyrim is theory and guesswork at this point. That's part of the fun...as well as passing time.

But as several have pointed out, this will run on current consoles so it does stand to reason that if your machine can run Oblivion, it can probably handle Skyrim as well (even if you have to tone down the settings).

LHammonds

so by logic

that rules Directx 14

and Tetra Core

as requirements

Ooh! Look at how the leaves rustle in that tree! That's sure to make the gameplay so much more enjoyable...

Sorry, I had to let that bit of sarcasm out.

I'm just still keeping my fingers crossed that this time around Bethesda won't be so caught up in the current trend of game developers to base their products on flashy fps-killing eye-candy covering a mediocre game. Personally, I'd be satisfied with the graphics from Morrowind as long as they give me epic quests and expansive lands and dungeons to explore. I really don't need every detail of the surrounding landscape reflected in high-def ripples in the puddle at my feet to enjoy a game and firmly believe that rendering swaying blades of grass has nothing at all to do with the quality of the game itself. Pretty high-res landscapes do not equal a great game.

But I also know all too well that it's a business intent upon turning a profit, so I think it's a safe bet that everything in Skyrim will be surrounded by that glowy HDR aura that's supposed to be so realistic despite the fact that to this day I've never seen anything in real life glow like that...