The Nexus 2.5 Millionth Member Competition

Dark0ne

I'm making a 10 hour dragged out epic anyways. Bwahahah!

Maybe not ten hours.

Wooot? You expect me to make a 10 hour long quest?! oh my god, I didn't know your dungeon was that big! ;D

By the way, Rob, could you please stop bringing in so many members?? It's going too fast!! :psyduck:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I can do:

- Build a mod that captures the idea "community" in general

- Integrate people who have helped me in the past, even though they are not necessarily on this forum (the community I am in right now)

- Capture the feeling of being "the new guy" and dealing with entering a new community

That's the premise.

Can I just pick one or is there a strong preference?

"Thanks for the great effort you put in these fansites. The rules however are kickking the idea of this community's butts: ..."

"You wanna make a bet? If this was just a notoriety contest, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if credits and permissions were in order. However, the distinction here is that there is a physical reward. That can be seen as making money from other people's work. How would you feel if you spent 2 years making 3D models and textures to allow modders to make an entirely new city...and someone comes along, picks up your assets you made freely available to the community with the mindset that nobody will be making a profit from your work....and joe blow enters a contest making a mod with your assets and wins a contest where they get a free vacation to Bethesda studios and Disneyland?!?!?!?!

Yep, I'd bet you'd be fuming that you did not get to see any of that action....even if the majority of the work was by you. :confused:"

I mean that will be the case nevertheless. Every one acting on this and other sites will have the same experience. But I call it an ispirational scene to gain higher levels in modding. Can anyone isolate themselves from being hacked, inspired from and so on? I doubt it. No one can stop it either - unless we lay down and rot:-) Another fact is that the things we do that reflect our personality, our most inner thoughts, can not be copied - it will allways be nothing but a copy;-)

Have a nice day now!!

By the way LHammonds, I never bet. The life is full of entertainment to experience or observe. (I guess that is only a way of expressing things.)

Maybe not ten hours.

Wooot? You expect me to make a 10 hour long quest?! oh my god, I didn't know your dungeon was that big! ;D

By the way, Rob, could you please stop bringing in so many members?? It's going too fast!! :psyduck:

Oh we can pad it out with some fetch quests, a few real time waiting sequences, and involving watching grass grow somehow.

Maybe not ten hours.

Oh we can pad it out with some fetch quests, a few real time waiting sequences, and involving watching grass grow somehow.

Oh, that'll do!

If I'm not mistaken, watching grass grow is the number one activity for gamers! :D

I mean that will be the case nevertheless. Every one acting on this and other sites will have the same experience. But I call it an ispirational scene to gain higher levels in modding. Can anyone isolate themselves from being hacked, inspired from and so on? I doubt it. No one can stop it either - unless we lay down and rot:-) Another fact is that the things we do that reflect our personality, our most inner thoughts, can not be copied - it will allways be nothing but a copy;-)

Have a nice day now!!

By the way LHammonds, I never bet. The life is full of entertainment to experience or observe. (I guess that is only a way of expressing things.)

This particular contest is about individual effort. Sure, there are modders out there that can create models, textures, animations, voice acting, etc. but the more an individual adds to a mod, the less diverse will be given a finite time period. A modder creating a plugin-only mod will have a lot more time to create using the assets already available than someone who also has to work in Blender, NifSkope, Paint.NET, etc. to create assets and THEN add them into the plugin.

My advice to anyone doing a mod for a competition like this is to 1st work on your idea and implement it in the game using assets already available. For example, use the Umbra sword as your unique sword that will be called Excalibur. Before you ever take time to start creating models, textures and animations, you will already have your plugin finished. But here is the kicker. You never create your best work on the 1st pass. You need time for your ideas to set in and you eventually come up with better / more creative ways of presenting your idea. So your plugin (which should be your most important part) will get the most attention and improvements over time. People will generally have more fun with a mod that is creatively implemented rather than just a bunch of nice assets added to a barrel.

It would be nice if future contests could be arranged where teams of modders are grouped together to make a collaborative mod. Now THAT could be a potentially thrilling project where dream teams are assembled to work on a common goal. Just imagine the creative energy when people focus in their areas of specialty...modelers...texturers...scripts...story tellers...etc.

It is allready there - openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness, openness!

Maybe not ten hours.

Oh, that'll do!

If I'm not mistaken, watching grass grow is the number one activity for gamers! :D

unless they are watching color-changing paint dry.

Hi guys. it seems this is a playground for you Premier Members! Why don't you behave and mobilize a different attitude? We are a lot of first-timers out here that have totally different realities to live with than you seem to have. Try to be helpfull and informative rather than brag around like you do!! I suppose this competition is not about having the largest cock, but great ideas. It is in the brain you find the ideas. Didn'nt you know that?

Behave!!

IIRC the last winner on TESNexus used all vanilla assets; no new assets at all. It was a dungeon crawler with an amusing quest and I loved it. If you're a newcomer trying your hand at this then follow some of the tutorials on the internet. Make a house, make a dungeon, make a castle, make whatever you want but don't feel like you need voice acting, new textures/meshes/animations, etc.. Because you don't.

People seem to be getting hung up on making some awesome custom stuff. If it's awesome, great, but what I care about most is having an entertaining time, not the poly-count on your sword or the sparkle effects on the ceiling.