New Feature: File requirements

Dark0ne

Awesome! Just hopefully links will work.

Kinda interested how TES:V Skyrim is going to change the dynamics of TESnexus. Seems like an outright good move.

Thanks for hosting this beautiful mess that is now my load order.

:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool addition, will have my goodies updated shortly.

I'll second suggestions for adding things like OBSE and Wrye Bash to the checkbox list.

I'd say no to listing the UOP or the USIP or the UOMPs as common requirements because nothing strictly requires them in order to function.

One small issue though - on the list of tabs for a file entry, things have become crowded enough on a 1440x900 display to cause the "action log" and "tags" tabs to get pushed to the line below. It looks a bit off but still functions.

I like it. If I may, a few suggestions that would possibly streamline the process a little...

Similar to tag suggestions, allow users to make suggestions that the author can validate simply by clicking yes/no or something? It would go a long way to making this backwards compatible with existing mods. Perhaps daily or weekly an author would get a message saying `"you've had X suggestions to include Mod Y as a requirement/master to your mod Z. May we add it for you?"` I believe this would also help in that some authors may have stopped checking their mods regularly if they deem them `"complete"` or even forgot about/abandoned them.

Also, some requirements aren't mods reachable on the Nexus at all. Script extenders (OBSE/FOSE/NVSE) or things like DarnifiedUI don't have a presence here for whatever reason, but some mods depend on them. Perhaps a dummy mod entry could be made for such things?

Lastly, it might also be helpful if a similar system were put in place for conflicts or mods that the mod in question conflicts with. This might be iffy as there are varying degrees of conflict from simple overrides of things like vendor/item lists to more serious issues like two mods cause the game to crash if both run at the same time. Some are easily solved via compatibility/merge patches while others are much more serious.

I apologize if I inadvertently left out any ideas or references pertaining to specific games, I recognize this is a Nexus-wide arrangement, but my only modding experience here is with New Vegas. If anything I've said applies to your game of choice, feel free to add to what I've brought up, mentally correct me, or chime in if it's a serious omission. I won't be hurt. :)

Edited by Brigand231

Was actually just about to suggest to allow users to make suggestions to required files! :)

As for the mods not present here, there's two ways to add required files - either by picking from a list of mods from the Nexus, or by inserting a link. (And the latter is used for OBSE and such. :) )

+ 1 for the Conflicts - also here people should be able to suggest mods.

Could you please add the ability to add Fallout 3 add-ons as a requirement to F:NV mods? Because some mods require players to copy files from their FO3 to FNV folder without infringing copyright by adding files. Thanks, and a great addition :).

-1 for conflict information. Mods conflict. It's a fact of life. Those lists would grow to insane levels very quickly, causing people like me to start looking for the "disable the conflicts tab" option :)