ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Should Dragon Age 2 be canceled?

Sinophile

1. 1. Should Bioware capitalize on Gaider's death?

• No, it is disrespectful to him and his family.
    • Yes, David Gaider would've wanted Bioware to celebrate his life and his work.

I won't bother posting links as I am sure most everyone on the site is already aware. Many family members of David Gaider are asking Bioware to cancel DA2 out of "respect" for his grisly and untimely death. However, Bioware not only invested 100 million dollars into the development of DA2, they also announced that they may be releasing a "Memorial Edition" of DA2 several months after. I have some rather strong opinions on the issue, but will try my best not to slant the topic as it is.

For now, I won't use the poll. However, I will say that perhaps it shouldn't be cancelled. The reason is not for the money, but because perhaps David Gaider would have wanted the game to continue, a legacy of sorts. If they do go ahead with it, which is probably likely due to the amount of money they've put into it, they should at least honor him in all of the releases, not just a "Memorial Version".

A few things for consideration:

- The game is/was slated to release later this year. Gaider was a writer, and most if not all of the writing is done. This isn't just going to be someone taking the man's place and changing the feel of the story; if there's any work he left unfinished it is likely just editing at this point.

- Standard Hollywood practice in a situation like this is to add in a fade-to-black or an image of the deceased with text reading "In Loving Memory Of..." before or after the credits roll. The publishing industry takes a similar approach, usually with a page in the front of the book before the prologue and often in place of the regular dedication page. Nobody's ever had much of a problem with that; I don't see why the standard should be any different for a videogame. I find it to be very respectful of the deceased and a tasteful, low-key memorial gesture.

- No business with half the sense of a rock is going to throw millions down the drain because one of their employees died. Might seem a bit heartless, but life and business goes on- as it must. However tragic the death of David Gaider is, Bioware can't and shouldn't just trash a big-budget sequel and disappoint millions of their customers because of his passing. It doesn't mean that Bioware is "capitalizing on his death" by releasing the game. Even for a developer as large and well-known as Bioware is, a game like DA2 is a significant investment, and canceling the project would be a serious blow to the company's revenue and reputation as a business. The man who died was not the only person with a stake in it.

- Writing is an art; art endures beyond death. The best possible tribute to a writer's passing is to publish their final work.

I do not think that a "Memorial Edition" is entirely appropriate- that could easily be taken the wrong way and seen as an attempt to cash in on David's passing- but canning the whole project? That's more than a little over-the-top. The show must go on, as the saying goes.

Edited by Wrath_Of_Deadguy01

Woah... hold up a second. David Gaider's dead? Could someone post a link? Last time I was in the forums David was fine and still posted around 15 hours ago. What the hell just happened?

Woah... hold up a second. David Gaider's dead? Could someone post a link? Last time I was in the forums David was fine and still posted around 15 hours ago. What the hell just happened?

I concur. Such a tragic event would have hit the headlines by now on the leading gaming news sites.

No offense to anyone but I don't care much.

you evidently cared enough to post in this thread.

I am also not so sure about his death

Neither are the police, but Brokenergy knows...

I never really liked dragon age since it was too much of a stratgey game IMO.

Again, look at the name of the topic. Why bother posting in a thread about a sequel to a game you don't like?

Last time I was in the forums David was fine and still posted around 15 hours ago.

That, or someone posting with his account, most likely you Broke.

What the hell just happened?

You tell me, I watched you do it. It is amazing what mistakes one can make in but in instant of rage...

Perhaps post a link to an article about his death as there's no news on Google about it, at least then people won't just think you're trolling.

If it is true, naturally the game shouldn't be cancelled just because a member of the team has died. It doesn't make sense from any angle at all.

Funny, I can't find any news story saying he's dead. I've just been Googling him and nowhere does it say he's dead--I haven't found anything in 10 pages to do with "david gaider death" or "david gaider dead". If it's not in the first 10 pages, since results are sorted by relevance, you will not likely find anything.