Real-time Strategy

TheSwedishPancake

Hi, Nexus. Are any of you here avid RTS players? It seems like this community would be primarily RPG-lovers, but you never know. If you like RTS games, what games in particular do you play?

RTS is probably my favorite genre of games, believe it or not, so I'd love to see if I can find people with similar interests.

So, let's start some RTS discussion in here! :D Talk about your favorite games and strategies for each; maybe we can all learn something here. Go!

I used to play Total Annihilation a lot, found it far superior compared to the silly tank rushing tactics in other RTS's. I beat the single player campaign maybe three or four times and spent many, many hours in LAN skirmishes. My favorite strategy is to play slow and defensively, protecting my home base with ridiculous amounts of heavy artillery.

I still play Medieval 2: Total War, have been paying it on an on-and-off basis ever since I bought it back in 2006. With all those playable factions it'll probably take me a few more years to finish the long campaign with each faction. :sweat:

I used to play Total Annihilation a lot, found it far superior compared to the silly tank rushing tactics in other RTS's. I beat the single player campaign maybe three or four times and spent many, many hours in LAN skirmishes. My favorite strategy is to play slow and defensively, protecting my home base with ridiculous amounts of heavy artillery.

I still play Medieval 2: Total War, have been paying it on an on-and-off basis ever since I bought it back in 2006. With all those playable factions it'll probably take me a few more years to finish the long campaign with each faction. :sweat:

I have Medieval 2: Total War. I never really got into it, though; it wasn't my kind of game, really. The battles were really awesome though.

I have Medieval 2: Total War. I never really got into it, though; it wasn't my kind of game, really. The battles were really awesome though.

You should give it another try sometime. Sure, managing cities and agents can get tedious, and the game isn't 100% bug-free. Still, I find it very rewarding to start out with a few pathetic little towns and use them to expand into a vast empire and then setting out to destroy my enemies, drive them before me and hear the lamentations of their women. :smile:

Edited by GenocideLolita

I enjoy *some* RTS games. Couldn't claim to be all that great against human opponents in any strategy game, but I've always been very good at the intel side of the genre. I guess you could say my specialty was knowing what was going to kill me before it did. :P If I lived long enough to get my ducks lined up I knew exactly where to strike, what with, and how... but getting my supply lines up and functional always gave me trouble even though I knew how to do it. My early game frankly sucked, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better with all the practice I've not been getting in the past few years. :biggrin: My taste in games switches genres too often to name one or another as my all-around favorite.

My RTS library:

Dune 2 (yeah, old school credit!)

C&C Gold + Covert Operations

C&C Red Alert + Aftermath and Counterstrike

C&C Tiberian Sun + Firestorm

C&C Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge (by far the weakest Westwood C&C)

C&C 3 (playable but not really worthy of the franchise)

RealWar

Homeworld

Homeworld: Cataclysm

Homeworld 2

Total Annihilation

Starcraft + Brood War

Warcraft 2

Supreme Commander

Sins of a Solar Empire

DEFCON

Darwinia

...console RTS:

C&C N64 (C&C Gold, but with 3D graphics and awkward controls).

Halo Wars (playable but not very deep)

...and in the RTT/TBT corner:

Missionforce: Cyberstorm

Cyberstorm 2: Corporate Wars

MechCommander

MechCommander 2

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Chess (ancient and obligatory, both in videogame and board game form)

Out of all of the above, my personal favorites were and are Homeworld, C&C Tiberian Sun, and now Sins of a Solar Empire. I can still regurgitate just about any piece of Homeworld knowledge... except maybe the damage tables, since I'm not too great with memorizing numbers and formulas.

Medieval 2 Total War (Danish, Scotland, or GTFO The Pope and his damn inquisitors can bite me!)

Company of Heroes (American Infantry Doctrine master race. Riflemen that can build defensive structures? Yes please.)

Starcraft 2 (Protoss FTW! Totally not because I suck with everything else and just 4 Gate all the damn time. <_<)

Starwars: Empire at War (Empire, bringing order to the galaxy even if I have to force choke the s*** out of it)

All I play are Real Time Strategy and Role Playing Games. Also the occasional First Person Shooter or Mech Style game to sate my lust for destruction.