File tags and you

Dark0ne

The tag searches would be a bit more useful if there were a way to do both a tag search and a category search at the same time. I've found that sometimes it would lower the number of results a lot if I could limit tags are returned for to a specific category. For example, searching for Modders' Resource and New Armors will return you a lot of mods that may only contain some modders' resources and the armors aren't (That probably doesn't make sense...).

I'll have to go on more tagging sprees, it looks like. By the way, anyone doing tagging sprees, the Random File button Argomirr made is very useful!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I go on a taggin-spree, I usually just click a category in the search form, sort them alphabetical, click all 50 submissions on the first page (premium feature...) and then start the tagging. ^^

Probably not the best method, but this way, it's easier to know what you've already tagged, and you feel an accomplishment when you have tagged a few pages :P

Well then can we simply slowly switch to tagged mods and abandon categories?

Just add current categories as tag and allow untagging of confirmed tag after several votes...

On top, it'll allow a mod to finally be in two or more categories like most quests should be.

New meshes, textures, sounds, musics, races, game effects, etc etc. Personally my quest belongs to all of them.

Also, "could be" good to let modders create their own tag, again subject to vote then it'll be on probation and dissapear if noone else uses it...

My two cents.

Keep it up guys, there are so many ways we can add to this giant community it'll be sad not to.

i would say leave the main categories, but allow mods to exist in more then one categorie via tags at the same time. to abandon the categories, that we already have established, would lead to a mess i think or maybe i am not quite getting what system you have in mind. for example i would still like to be able to venture into a category and display the most endorsed mods/downloaded files.

Yeah, the random file feature can ake you to hidden or non-existant pages a bit. Did you fix that, Argomirr?

Yup. It's still a messy thing, but it works again. All four sites with a single script now.

[EDIT]Not the hidden page thing though, but nonexistent pages should be skipped now. (It actually did that before the update, but it was unreliable)

Edited by Argomirr

Perhaps one of the most under used features on the Nexus sites is the file tagging and searching system. In a nut-shell file tagging allows files to be categorised much more deeply than just being placed in a single category that may contain thousands of files. It's a great way to drill down in to the thousands of mods on the Nexus sites and look for something much more specific using the "Tag Search" link found in the right navigation.

There is however an issue with the amount of untagged files on the sites. Files can be tagged by both file authors and logged in members; if an author tags a file it becomes instantly tagged where as 3 normal members need to approve a tag for a file before it becomes confirmed. A confirmed tag allows that file to be found using the tag search. The current number of tagged files on the sites is as follows:

• TESNexus: 8,868 tagged files out of 24,393 = 37%
  • FO3Nexus: 4,644 tagged files out of 11,049 = 42%
  • DANexus: 953 tagged files out of 1,606 = 59%
  • NVNexus: 2794 tagged files out of 4,530 = 62%

Those figures would suggest that the smaller percentages on TESNexus and FO3Nexus are a result of the tagging system being introduced after many files had been uploaded and authors had moved on from the scene. These files become the responsibility of the community to tag themselves. As a result I have added the number of tags a file has to the Tags tab on a file page (bracketed as usual). Files that have no tags will be highlighted red so that you know this file needs tagging. Tagging files not only helps the community but, once confirmed, will give you Activity Points on the site.

Having said that New Vegas Nexus was launched after the tagging system was introduced which suggests that close to 40% of mod authors are not tagging their files. Tagging your files increases their visibility in the community so more people can find your files and it takes about 20 seconds to do. There's no reason not to!

I just went and tagged all of my files , thanks for the reminderhttp://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif