Game Debate: graphics vs. content vs. combat, etc...

SpellAndShield

Aesthetics are way more important than graphics.

Fallout 3's graphics are by no means superb. There are plenty of contemporary and even older games with better graphics.

Yet, it still looks good because of the design aesthetic.

Aesthetics are one big reason why I prefer Diablo to D2. I hate D2.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a dev design doc of the game TF2. And it goes into their desgn and choices for such. Basically a unique look is fairly essential to set the game apart from the crowd.

Ultra realism and mega graphic power isn't often the best route a developer can take when designing the look of the game. TES always had something of it's own aesthetic anyway. Something that a lot of people mentioned about Ob but might have forgotten, it did receive a lot of crit for looking too generic and plain

I read a dev design doc of the game TF2. And it goes into their desgn and choices for such. Basically a unique look is fairly essential to set the game apart from the crowd.

Ultra realism and mega graphic power isn't often the best route a developer can take when designing the look of the game. TES always had something of it's own aesthetic anyway. Something that a lot of people mentioned about Ob but might have forgotten, it did receive a lot of crit for looking too generic and plain

This is my point.

Oblivion has better graphics, but morrowind looks better imo.

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, graphics can be great and fun to look at but they don't make the game. For me it's the story that attracts my attention no matter what the graphics are like. I enjoy some really really old games that have pixels but that doesn't bother me at all; if the story is good, to me, then I'll play it. But again it is all personal preference though I do wish people wouldn't try a game just cause they didn't like the look of the graphics.

• 3 weeks later...

I can generally notice these things:

1. A game with great graphics and crappy gameplay will be reviewed worse and sell less than a game with crappy graphics and great gameplay.

2. If someone wanted graphics, they'd turn to movies. However, gameplay defines a game. You PLAY a game, not WATCH it.

3. Graphics are subject to the concept of a maximum. At one point, pixels fail to be able to conceptualize a figure, because the resolution forces something to a size smaller than a pixel, so the pixel would have to be redefined.

4. Regarding 3, new computers and TVs with redesigned pixels would be needed. Guess what that means? EXPENSIVE.

5. Even if 3 and 4 are realized, it still will fail if it no fun at all to play.