Microsoft and Nvidia leave the PC Gaming Alliance

JimboUK

The PC Gaming Alliance (PCGA) has lost two of its founding members, Microsoft and Nvidia....... http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289950/news/microsoft-and-nvidia-leave-the-pc-gaming-alliance/

Microsoft are no great loss, they haven't been interested in PC gaming for many years. Nvidias departure is slightly odd though, I know they've got their fingers in other pies but surely PC gaming does make up a lot of their revenue.

proberly a group that says piracy has killed PC games sales because they cant be bothered to look at digital distribution numbers and think DRM where you need to show your birth certificate and give a urine sample everytime you play a game is needed?

Does not sound like a big loss for anything tbh.

2 companies who do little for PC gaming leave a PC Gaming Consortium who do little for PC gaming ;)

Not so far but if they do become more active with developers they could do some good, after all we don't have anyone else to represent us.

proberly a group that says piracy has killed PC games sales because they cant be bothered to look at digital distribution numbers and think DRM where you need to show your birth certificate and give a urine sample everytime you play a game is needed?

Not quite.

But why have I never heard of this PCGA?

The article won't load for me, but I was wondering the same. What do they do?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8331/cvgkt.jpg

I chuckled at that :biggrin:

Agreed, we probably won't see anything change from this... Was looking at their page and noticed mentioning of DRMs moving to the Microsoft Cloud... oh how I am not looking forward to the future of the internetz :wallbash: One of the big hyped up advantages of the Cloud are that users with low ram can use it's features for virtual memory, meanwhile those of us with 12g of ram will eventually be required to run this software despite no needing it just to keep our DRMs up.

I chuckled at that :biggrin:

Agreed, we probably won't see anything change from this... Was looking at their page and noticed mentioning of DRMs moving to the Microsoft Cloud... oh how I am not looking forward to the future of the internetz :wallbash: One of the big hyped up advantages of the Cloud are that users with low ram can use it's features for virtual memory, meanwhile those of us with 12g of ram will eventually be required to run this software despite no needing it just to keep our DRMs up.

Virtual memory on the hard drive is bad enough, imagine the mess from using the internet. :laugh:

Personally, I think this just means more specialized hardware for future Microsoft consoles. Nvidia supplies the graphic chips for 360, so a focused effort toward console gaming means that the next console will likely have unparalleled graphics for a console, and may even rival high end PCs. The two companies leaving at the same time can only mean that some sort of deal was struck, or that Nvidia saw it necessary to downsize and focus efforts in a larger, more specialized market.