Banishment Clarification

Rabbit1251

Recently two individuals received banishments for apparently cross-posting Nexus mods to other sites.

mduss

tugof

Does this mean that a person could be banned for reposting mods outside of the Nexus sphere of influence? I'd really like to know if I might get banned for passing along some of my collection of mods to friends. Also, does this cover mods that were deleted or otherwise banned from the Nexus family of sites? Thank you.

The Rabbit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets wait for the official word from the moderators who performed the bans. I believe I know what it's for but second guessing only serves to confuse the situation; so if you don't know, don't say anything and wait...

The users in question were reported as having no permission from the mod's author to reupload the files as they had done. If both users had bothered to seek the required permissions to reupload, then perhaps their bans might not have happened, but they did not.

Redistributing one persons files without their consent is something I take to count as mod theft, an offense deemed to be a violation of this sites rules and punishable by a site ban.

The users in question were reported as having no permission from the mod's author to reupload the files as they had done. If both users had bothered to seek the required permissions to reupload, then perhaps their bans might not have happened, but they did not.

Redistributing one persons files without their consent is something I take to count as mod theft, an offense deemed to be a violation of this sites rules and punishable by a site ban.

But they weren't doing on this site directly.

But they weren't doing on this site directly.

Every action has a reaction, be it illegal or not.

Edited by Pushkatu

Thank you Dark0ne and Mr. Dante. You have answered my question quite satisfactorily. I know that in past I have passed along some of the mods that I have acquired over the years to others, but now I know better. I'm doing everything that I can to still be around here come the release of Skyrim in the Fall and I do not wish to jeopardize this. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

The Rabbit

Apologies for bumping a nigh-week-old thread but I just re-read it and it seems to say this to me:

If you share a mod via any method, and that mod was uploaded to Nexus but later removed for any reason, this is a bannable offense at Nexus.

This would mean that, if I, at my own site, decided to host the collection of mods that make up my play experience, could potentially be banned here because some of those mods are no longer here.

o_O Am I reading this right?

Apologies for bumping a nigh-week-old thread but I just re-read it and it seems to say this to me:

If you share a mod via any method, and that mod was uploaded to Nexus but later removed for any reason, this is a bannable offense at Nexus.

This would mean that, if I, at my own site, decided to host the collection of mods that make up my play experience, could potentially be banned here because some of those mods are no longer here.

o_O Am I reading this right?

Well, ummmm, yup. But not directly as result of a mod no longer being here. If you're hosting mods that contain material that you do not have permission to distribute, and it comes to the attention of the Staff here, then it would be an issue.

I think that the first thing we would do is ask you to provide evidence that you had permission to post the items in question. Not because the Nexus has any say over what material another site hosts, but we do control (prohibit) the mention of sites that routinely ignore copyrights or the stated wishes of the authors of any material.

And we don't allow, condone, or ignore using another's work without permission. Period. Sites (and people) known to do so are banned from here.

Edited by Thandal
Clarification.