Zombie Ants discovered

Fonger

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/mar/02/fungi-zombie-ants-amazon

On a recent field trip to the region, scientists discovered four new species of fungus that infect ants, take over their bodies and eventually kill them in a place that is just right for the organism to grow inside them.

The fungus can destroy entire colonies and leave behind gruseome ant graveyards, where twisted, dark corpses rest with their mandibles locked around leaf veins, a final act that secures the creature's host in position before it releases spores to infect others.

Oil up that chainsaw folks.

My shopping list:

Nails & planks of wood for barricading

Shotgun & shells & chainsaw for you know what

Food

Water not alcohol as I'd rather not go the I am legend route of self destruction

Portable generator & fuel

Bug spray

I guess I could use these in a hurry so if you have any other suggestions I'd welcome them. :sick:

there is also a parasite (forget the name) that will do the same thing, but instead of releasing spores it will get eaten by a rabbit and live in the thing. I think it is called a liver worm or something. They then release eggs out of the rabit which are picked up by ants.

This sounds familiar... But that post on the guardian.co.uk is new o_O

E: Oh, didn't read Callitons post, that's probably the one I'm thinking about

Edited by Nysba

It's the small things we should fear the most. Interesting article, but each organism must fight for survival, one way or another. Those ants are just unlucky.