Why we can't use Patreon, and talking about donations and doing more to support mod authors

Dark0ne

In response to post #29459543. #29479164, #29495650, #29502370 are all replies on the same post.

uisukii24 wrote: Pray tell, why can mod authors not advertise a patreon or what have you as a means to promote donations, while the Nexus itself is DIRECTLY PROFITING from the work of these mod authors?

The Nexus is in a far worse condition in respect to being sued than any mod author providing a means for patronage. Site admin, it's time to cut the crap, stop lying and stop treating the people who are responsible for your income like they are second class citizens.

You really are disgustingly shameless.
RonnieJay wrote: You can't be serious...
evilhippo wrote: I assume this is satire.
Gr33dl0ck wrote: I am debating wether I should report you or just leave you here so people could throw them tomatoes at you.

considering this comes from someone with only 2 posts smells like bait >.>

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just putting this here if not already that there's the possible conflict with about 20 games or license agreement (also bethesdas licence with engines) and what is included in coders and artist's job contract. when if they would allow patreon or similar there could be army of lawyers in their doorstep so it's better to play safe

that said: .p

the separate box sounds good

Edited by gkilw

If mods want money for their work, go get on a dev team. This isn't your IP it's theirs. I will never pay for a mod. Modders asking for money is going to kill the modding community, because instead of doing it to add to the game, the are going to do it, to add to their wallet.

On anther note, I'm not at all surprised Bethesda is looking to cash in on mods. I will be torrenting Fallout 4 when it comes out, I will not be buying it. Hey, just because I don't agree with the way the company runs its s#*!, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to play their product. It just means I'll play it without paying for it. Sure sure, get mad at me, I'll just smile at you when you get enraged about buggy releases, and broken day one patches. But hey, if they want my money, they need to release a good product that isn't broken day one, and needs to have company polices geared towards things I agree with. Thank God we live in a world where I can still not support a company, and still enjoy its products.

And if you are reading this Bethesda and got your panties in a wad, Bring.It.On. You might have a ton of lawyers, but you don't have enough body bags, and you'll need those alot more than lawyers. Hey don't get mad, you come after me with something you are good at, I'll in turn come after you, with something I am good at.

Also another good idea. Since you guys have gotten so dependent on poking us in the eyes and slowing down our internet experience for revenue, why don't you have the mods who think they should be paid for their work pay you? I mean if it were not for your site hosting their files, they would not be making money, so its only natural that Nexus should get its cut of the deal, say a ball park figure of no less than 85% of the profits from the mod? Because making mods should not be about making money, but helping the community. That will cut down on modding for profiteering and I won't have to pay you to stop ruining my internet experience that frankly I already pay for by spending the money I do monthly on my ISP. I mean really, pay you to stop the ads? That's like paying the mob to not break my legs. Why not have the ads off, and I pay you in order to see them and further support you? Because that wouldn't be intrusive enough? But I digress I love the big sad frowny face ads I get with my ad blocker plus. I love all the doom and gloomers screaming how I'm killing the internet. I'm not killing the internet, I'm killing your internet(poke me in the eye, slow down my experience) and bringing back my internet.

Modders, if you want to make money, go out there do some real work, create an original IP, or acquire the rights to one, and make your own game. The next thing we'll hear about is that interns will want to get paid for interning. What on Earth is wrong with this planet now days.

Edited by slyguy3129

It seems that Slyguy3129 doesn't think he should have to pay for the games either. :rolleyes:

I will be torrenting Fallout 4 when it comes out, I will not be buying it.

And that gets a ban

Patreon and 'paid modding' as Bethesda sees things for FO4.

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/377160_eula_0

There is an entire brief on the yet to be announced utility software. Reading what it says and not what I want it to say, Bethesda believes they own any added content that uses their software. This is nothing new. What is new is the depth they go into to explain what can and cannot be done with the 'Customized Game Materials'. Reading between the lines, they are setting the stage for the return of monetized modding, since the license prohibits end users from selling the 'Customized Game Materials'. If you read it carefully, the license is only binding on the end users and nothing in it prohibits Bethesda from selling the 'Customized Game Materials'. The section © Customized Game Materials must be distributed solely for free; doesn't apply to them, only to modders.

Edited by WursWaldo

Patreon and 'paid modding' as Bethesda sees things for FO4.

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/377160_eula_0

There is an entire brief on the yet to be announced utility software. Reading what it says and not what I want it to say, Bethesda believes they own any added content that uses their software. This is nothing new. What is new is the depth they go into to explain what can and cannot be done with the 'Customized Game Materials'. Reading between the lines, they are setting the stage for the return of monetized modding, since the license prohibits end users from selling the 'Customized Game Materials'. If you read it carefully, the license is only binding on the end users and nothing in it prohibits Bethesda from selling the 'Customized Game Materials'. The section © Customized Game Materials must be distributed solely for free; doesn't apply to them, only to modders.

All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software

:yucky:

And then what is that about not being able to use other executables?! Does this mean using things like FOSE and SKSE will become 'illegal'??

Tsk and it just gets worse and worse... all in all this EULA makes the Creation Kit one look like a casual letter from a pen pal!

EDIT: Although at least they haven't included this particular heresy this time:

You also waive and agree never to assert against Bethesda Softworks or its affiliates, distributors or licensors any moral rights or similar rights, however designated, that You may have in or to any of the New Materials

In response to post #29456319.

goatofdeath wrote:

I guess I'm not quite understanding why Bethesda is the gating factor here. If they don't want it on their properties, that's fine. Seems like a simple if (Bethesda) {Don't show Patreon of Flattr buttons} would do the job.

Mods for more supportive companies could then have donations allowed through Patreon or Flattr. Assuming it does ok, that would incentivize either Bethesda to get their s*** together to support modder contributions themselves, or for them to officially bless Patreon and Flattr on the nexus in support of the modding community.

Just because at the moment Bethesda doesn't like it, I'm not quite seeing why the option should be taken away from the rest of the modding community that might not even be interested in modding Bethesda games.

The implication is that Bethesda wants total control over where the money goes, but I'm not entirely sur-

". Such a system would effectively allow them to cut out Valve as the middleman, accommodate an interesting push in to console modding, and either ensure they can maximise their profit as much as possible, or allow Valve's original cut to go to the mod authors"

Oh wait, that's exactly what is being discussed.

"Just because at the moment Bethesda doesn't like it, I'm not quite seeing why the option should be taken away from the rest of the modding community that might not even be interested in modding Bethesda games."

Read: "Bethesda's lawyers are trigger happy as f'"

Seriously, please read the OP first, I understand what you're trying to get at, but you're quite a few points behind it, frankly.