Where are we at with the redesign?

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we get to see some early concept art of the main page? would be very cool to put some of Phill's ideas out to the users and find out what we, as a community think of the direction the visual aspect of the site is taking! Cant wait!

In response to post #29807115. #29813455 is also a reply to the same post.

Arethiel wrote: If it ain't broke, better mess with it.
Dark0ne wrote: That sort of thinking is what ensured we moved past the Bronze age/Silver age/Iron age/Dark age/Insert other age of man here.

The point isn't to fix, the point is to innovate and improve with modern times, technology and needs.

There's nothing that needs to be changed about the site to meet "modern needs" though. Maybe a couple things here and there but an entire site redesign is unwarranted. On top of that, people who have been around awhile may in fact have more difficulty navigating a new site thus frustrating them if the redesign is as "modern" as Windows 8 was.

Now maybe the back end of the site needs a redesign due to poor coding or coding that simply was designed with fewer users in mind, but I wouldn't say that it needs to be modernized, probably just fixed (though since I can't see the back end code it's a lot of speculation). I mean, hell, look at C++, that language is old as dirt but it's still the backbone of a lot of back end math engines and is still used quite a bit in the business field. I mean, COBOL is still used by Scott and White Hospital where I live and that came out in the 60s.

With all that said, as a professional programmer and amateur web admin I simply don't see the need here to mess with the user interface since code optimizations can generally be done without affecting the UI or the user at all, other then maybe faster site load times, or functions working more consistently.

Edit: It is also entirely possible I'll change my mind once we see the new site. Edited by Arethiel

In response to post #29807115. #29813455, #29854220 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: That sort of thinking is what ensured we moved past the Bronze age/Silver age/Iron age/Dark age/Insert other age of man here.

The point isn't to fix, the point is to innovate and improve with modern times, technology and needs.
Arethiel wrote: There's nothing that needs to be changed about the site to meet "modern needs" though. Maybe a couple things here and there but an entire site redesign is unwarranted. On top of that, people who have been around awhile may in fact have more difficulty navigating a new site thus frustrating them if the redesign is as "modern" as Windows 8 was.

Now maybe the back end of the site needs a redesign due to poor coding or coding that simply was designed with fewer users in mind, but I wouldn't say that it needs to be modernized, probably just fixed (though since I can't see the back end code it's a lot of speculation). I mean, hell, look at C++, that language is old as dirt but it's still the backbone of a lot of back end math engines and is still used quite a bit in the business field. I mean, COBOL is still used by Scott and White Hospital where I live and that came out in the 60s.

With all that said, as a professional programmer and amateur web admin I simply don't see the need here to mess with the user interface since code optimizations can generally be done without affecting the UI or the user at all, other then maybe faster site load times, or functions working more consistently.

Edit: It is also entirely possible I'll change my mind once we see the new site.

^this
My greatest fear is thet they make it all white with the 'flat'' design-trend you see nowadays.
Nexusmods' ui is already so cozy

eBay once tried changing their background from yellow to white, but received complaints. So they reverted it to yellow, then gradually changed it to white over several months. Nobody complained.

It might be a good idea to implement the changes in a few phases.

In response to post #29807115. #29813455, #29854220, #29860320 are all replies on the same post.

Arethiel wrote: There's nothing that needs to be changed about the site to meet "modern needs" though. Maybe a couple things here and there but an entire site redesign is unwarranted. On top of that, people who have been around awhile may in fact have more difficulty navigating a new site thus frustrating them if the redesign is as "modern" as Windows 8 was.

Edit: It is also entirely possible I'll change my mind once we see the new site.
DrUlreich wrote: ^this
My greatest fear is thet they make it all white with the 'flat'' design-trend you see nowadays.
Nexusmods' ui is already so cozy

it is kinda broke though, if you do a quick search you will see how many f*#@ing glitches and bugs there are by doing certain things. especially after/before loging in.

Sorry this is a little off topic, but it may link with site design? This is a plea from a mod user: will authors please not set their mods to hidden while having a re-think or an upgrade in mind? Like some users my game explodes frequently, and sometimes I need to reinstall a mod. It's so frustrating to find it gone for no apparent reason. I've just gone back to pull a fresh copy of a much-used mod down only to find it has vanished because it's "Not available at the moment!". Well, clearly that is the case and that's the end of that game rebuild. I don't really want to store copies of mods on my local disk because I respect modders' copyright.

Site design-wise, some of the standard messages that we find in removed mods are a bit bland. It would be nice to push a better description for the removal. In some cases where an author is active and has pulled the mod, it would be nice to be able to click on a 'get in touch' to see if a copy of a loved mod can be re-acquired.

Thanks

Whenever you download a mod, you are already storing a local copy of the unextracted archive on your PC. Unless you totally removed it, it should still be on your hard drive somewhere.

Also, as part of the appeal for mod makers to put their mods on Nexus is that they have the right to hide or remove their mod from other users if they so choose to. In this case, the mod might have some game-breaking problems that need to be fixed before it can be considered playable.