Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

By the way, I love how people say Fallout 4 didn't win "THE Game of the Year Award". As if there is a "official" award. Fallout 4 will still win a bunch of Game of the Year Awards from game magazines (that's where the awards are coming from...). So yeah, there will be a Game of the Year Edition.

It's true though, Fallout 4 didn't win the award at the Spike Game show or what's it called now (I think it's called "the Game Awards" or something). They did win there with previous games.

Edited by scheisseimhirn

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bethesda hasn't had a real competitor until this year. This is the first time another developer has made an open world rpg that can not only compete with Bethesda, but take their crown. Bethesda was the go-to creator for open world rpgs with tons of content, but they're not the only one anymore. CDProjekt stepped up big time this year.

This creates an interesting situation, and one I hope benefits us the players. A monopoly is never good. Hopefully the competition pushes Bethesda to bring it with ES 6.

No Gamefever has a point. These are ALL the complaints I read about and groused about myself in Fallout 3. I HATE Fallout 3, and I hate Elder Scrolls because ultimately I hate the way Bethesda builds it's games. All of this, from the increasing casualness to lackluster writing, unemotive characters, f***ing dungeon crawls instead of good storytelling, not giving a damn about realism, this is all Bethesda again and again. The only reason anyone who played Fallout 3 has to be surprised about what Fallout 4 was, were those who expected Bethesda to pay close attention to New Vegas. I was one of them, and they didn't.

I was introduced to Bethesda through Oblivion then played Fo3 then played Skyrim and I loved all of them, poured hours and hours over the vanilla versions. I didn't understand the hate. Now I guess I'm the hater. If I'd been around longer maybe I would've known Fo4 would be like this, but IMO it crosses the line. The world is just so so poor. The design completely abandons the RPG genre. It's now an RPG-esque shooter, as if we didn't have enough of those. The entire world is a big 'dungeon' now, with several pockets of story progressing NPCs. No character, no creativity, no care. It feels like this game was made in a year and designed in a day.

Randomly generated raiders, mutants, gunners, or ghouls to x location. Insert terminal one page 'har har' story, drop corpse(s) in back next to useless chest near random gen 'legendary' creature with random gen 'legendary' armor <- Link to radiant quest given by randomly generated settler. That's 75% of the game.

24% Is main quest on rails, no choice dialogue, pick A,B,C faction at the end blow up opposite faction

1% is left to make sure we know we're playing a Fallout game USS Constitution, Boy in Fridge, Silver Shroud, and Covenant. These are fun but I'd say only 50% on par with 3 or NV.

I just hope other people are noticing this. Sure it's more casual but the world is almost completely dry.

@Bad Replicant,

Well yes your right.

Thing is I just cant get mad about it, cause I've been around long enough playing these games to see that it was coming. Its sort of been like how they always kinda really were in way at least that's how it seems to me. Not sure if that's something I want to get worked up over when there are games that do RPG better.

For me, honestly its the modding scene that makes the games really stand above the other ones that I could have played with my time and when I think about the things that they did do well and are serviceable and well makes for a great canvas to mod on. Well I just don't get mad, cause I see the possibilities of what we might do with what they did right.

Cant argue that there are people that wont see just how cool the cluttered world is or just how much space is available in this world to plop down our own faction and RPG story but its not that hard to remove a districts worth of spawns and just throw in our own guys and make dialogue tree's we might like.

Bethsada Games are kinda like a canvas that you create your own content for and well that makes them cool. The settlement thing I see that as nothing but an attempt to give the masses a sort of taste of what can be done with the game tools aka Creation Kit cause we could always build generic settlements in pretty much all their games, just like the ones you build with the Settlement Builder but uh we also got dialogue branches and quest creater's.

RPG wise uh ya hmm,

Nope I never play Bethsada games for anything other than a dungeon crawl cause that's what they are....

Now with mods that can be altered but its not always been really popular type of mod but they do get made and well I have seen quite a few for Skyrim so who knows.

Edited by gamefever

[The world is just so so poor. The design completely abandons the RPG genre. It's now an RPG-esque shooter, as if we didn't have enough of those. The entire world is a big 'dungeon' now, with several pockets of story progressing NPCs. No character, no creativity, no care. It feels like this game was made in a year and designed in a day]​

I couldn't agree more. I actually bought and played the first FO when it first came out.

If you are a fan of Fall Out, any of them, and you feel disappointed with FO4, then I would bet you would really enjoy Wasteland 2: Directors Cut. (Also for Xbox One (Xbox One fans are relieved that nothing was lost from PC to console), maybe other consoles). One of the original programmers from FO 1 is on the team that made this title. Story is great. Choices made have consinqences. Locked door? No lock picks? Bust it down. Smash that chess. Kill everyone in town. Oops, so much for that quest, now I have to find another way.....And more skills you can master. Single player, party based. Check it out. It has a very strong fallout feel, far as the wasteland, except more immersive. Check it out. It's all about RPG, immersion.

[The world is just so so poor. The design completely abandons the RPG genre. It's now an RPG-esque shooter, as if we didn't have enough of those. The entire world is a big 'dungeon' now, with several pockets of story progressing NPCs. No character, no creativity, no care. It feels like this game was made in a year and designed in a day]​

I couldn't agree more. I actually bought and played the first FO when it first came out.

If you are a fan of Fall Out, any of them, and you feel disappointed with FO4, then I would bet you would really enjoy Wasteland 2: Directors Cut. (Also for Xbox One (Xbox One fans are relieved that nothing was lost from PC to console), maybe other consoles). One of the original programmers from FO 1 is on the team that made this title. Story is great. Choices made have consinqences. Locked door? No lock picks? Bust it down. Smash that chess. Kill everyone in town. Oops, so much for that quest, now I have to find another way.....And more skills you can master. Single player, party based. Check it out. It has a very strong fallout feel, far as the wasteland, except more immersive. Check it out. It's all about RPG, immersion.

I'll be getting Wasteland 2 after the holidays. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thing is I just cant get mad about it, cause I've been around long enough playing these games to see that it was coming. Its sort of been like how they always kinda really were in way at least that's how it seems to me. Not sure if that's something I want to get worked up over when there are games that do RPG better.

For me, honestly its the modding scene that makes the games really stand above the other ones that I could have played with my time and when I think about the things that they did do well and are serviceable and well makes for a great canvas to mod on. Well I just don't get mad, cause I see the possibilities of what we might do with what they did right.

I can understand that. Fo4 will have maybe the biggest mod scene yet, especially with the rumored console support. I know better RPGs but after the massive success of Skyrim what other company has the funding they do? Mods will improve it but they screwed up the core experience far too much.

I'll forgive them if

A) DLC/updates almost feel like an apology (new dialog options, varied speech checks, new towns within original map, turn off protag voice!! etc)

not just assets so other people can make their game for them

B)They make a deal with Obsidian please god

C)They ask nicely

I dislike the current state of the game right now. But I going to love what mod communities will turn this game into.

Which is quite sad to be brutally honest. Still waiting if their DLCs made up the thing that were missing. But that still isn't good enough and rely on mods to improve on them. That would make it much more sadder.

In the end, what will people remember about the game? Just mods, not the base game. But the amount of mods it will have. Which probably will have way more than Skyrim .

Don't get me wrong. MODS are mostly good thing for game's longevity. But in my eyes, it felt so sad if developer released half-baked gameplay (good concept, bad execution) only to rely on modding communities to fix and improve what they lack. Especially with more competitors popping up and with good and workable concepts. Even indie devs really show some interesting gameplay mechanics that makes me wonder why triple A's developer didn't even think about it in the first place or even copy them!

And I don't get why trying to make a good game into something casual. As if it is something to be picked up and go. FO4 sales largely thanks to it's reputation of the developers and previous games (FO3 and Skyrim), not because of it's gameplay mechanic. Even the settlement system isn't something new to me, and it wasn't as manageable as I thought (it really took a while to see who is doing what, but provisioners management still need work), and also felt limited.

I wanted to love this game as much as I love FO3 and Skyrim. But the current state left me unsatisfied.

Edited by ranggiana

I disagree with the mentality of 'mods will fix it'. It isn't the responsibility of modders to do that, its Bethesdas responsibility to create a satisfying game. Its embarrassing that Fallout 4 was in development for 7 years and you can't even remap the controls properly. I, and many like me, have to use an external program called autohotkey, I spent a whole night learning how to use it just so I can play the game.

Its 2015, this shouldn't be happening. Bethesda's doing nothing about it, there's no urgency from them in rolling out patches to fix bugs. They're just sitting back, waiting for their fans to fix the game for them. When a patch DID come, it was because the fans beta tested it for them, and it was a small patch with only a handful of fixes, some of which didn't even address the issues they were supposed to.

We've had one PR statement from them, other than that they've gone dark since launch. They need to be doing a hell of a lot more in terms of patches and activity with their fans. It should be a two-way street but everything seems to come from their fans while Bethesda puts in the absolute bare minimum.

They release a game in poor condition and say "we're too busy, fix the game it if you want". I'm tired of seeing the fans picking up the slack and doing things Bethesda should have done, trying to find workarounds to get the game in a playable condition while Bethesda just shrugs. I really love the fact their games are so moddable, and i appreciate they give us the tools to make those mods. But that doesn't mean Bethesda can just shirk all their responsibilities, which is excactly what they're are doing.

Beth patches takes ages to come out, pretty much a month between each other:

Skyrim:

Day one Nev 11, Nev 28, Dec 7, Jan 20, march 30.....till April 21st, 2013 last patch.

Beta patch testing is a good idea, it uncovers a lot of bugs much faster.

It uncovers a lot of bugs faster, yes. So why is that not being reflected by the rate of patches Bethesda is rolling out? We've had 1 patch, and a small one at that. Thats it.

Beta patches aren't making a difference. Would you not agree?