⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Fallout 4 UI immersion-breaking for me...

Hoamaii

The patch is not even out yet.

That's not true, we are on the 2nd Beta patch on PC.

Release was v1.0.29

1st Beta was v1.0.30 and is the current version.

2nd Beta is now v1.0.33.

Patches will be many small updates rather than a few big ones.

The releases will be staggered.

1st PC Beta.

2nd PC full release.

3rd Consoles

I am playing the PC version & the UI is immersion braking for me.

I don't think Bethesda gave left handed players much thought this time around.

Some lefties like me use the arrow keys to move around & having the follower dialog controls hard mapped to the arrows is a pain.

I usually map the keypad "0" & Del keys for jumping & crouching but keypad "0" is hard wired for stimpacks.

If they had left the key mapping setup like it was with Oblivion, Fallout 3 & Skyrim I would be happy.

I hope they fix it.

later

Later

I am playing the PC version & the UI is immersion braking for me.

I don't think Bethesda gave left handed players much thought this time around.

Some lefties like me use the arrow keys to move around & having the follower dialog controls hard mapped to the arrows is a pain.

I usually map the keypad "0" & Del keys for jumping & crouching but keypad "0" is hard wired for stimpacks.

If they had left the key mapping setup like it was with Oblivion, Fallout 3 & Skyrim I would be happy.

I hope they fix it.

later

Later

Skyrim fav and hot keys was the best in beth games. It was almost perfect and there was no need to change it.

This will help for now http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2107/?

"FALLOUT 4 IS IMMERSION BREAKING FOR ME"

1) they are talking about the UI.

2) they had no idea.

"FALLOUT 4 IS IMMERSION BREAKING FOR ME"

Then why did you buy it?

Come on, there's no way to know if a game is going to be immersive for us before we actually play it - and Bethesda's TES or Fallout series were some of the most genuinely immersive games out here in my opinion. Immersion invitations are something we can naturally expected from a new Fallout. And in a way it is still there, but I can't quite shake out the feeling yet that I'm in some gigantic DLC to F3 or FNV rather than a new storyworld of its own, the way New Vegas was to Fallout 3 for instance. I hope it'll change once I get forward into the game...

But the UI? We all know that UI is going to be somewhat cumbersome in an RPG, there's so much to manage: inventory, crafting, stats, dialogues, looting, orientation, etc. And now Settlements. F3's or Skyrim's UI were not perfect but they were not 'immersion-breaking' for me in their Vanilla forms. I honestly never saw it coming that they would keep untouched what could be perfected (endless lists of junks barely broken down into very few caregories for instance) while they completely overhauled something which was working fairly OK like the dialogue system for instance.

It's not the dialogue wheel form per se that really puts me off, it's the way it is used. Click on a character that'll mumble some inaudible repetitive lines before he eventually - or not - stops on its track and offers me more options that'll eventually (or not, again) bring up some more options, like the ones I'm going to be using most often like "help me carry my junk" or "go fetch this". It takes soooo long that I often have the 'reflex' to click 'cancel' - except the cancel key is no longer universal in F4, and more often than not, I end up triggering some line or action I never intended to.

There are TWO basic keys of interaction in games, right? 'Activate' and 'Cancel'. Why on earth do they differ from one menu to another? That is entirely beyond me!..

In previous games, only the characters you could interact with showed the option 'talk' - not very fancy but effective. In F4, I have to wait around to see whether or not they'll eventually stop and finally show me the damn wheel - and worse, because the wheel doesn't show up doesn't mean that they do not have dialogue options, it may mean that I didn't click at the right time or in their trigger zone. I've ended up unvoluntarily 'dismiss' or 'wait' Dogmeat so many times that I have litterally spent hours looking for him instead of continuing my journey!..

Honestly, I don't care the colour of the Interface, it's nice that we can change it, but this is just a small bonus option - all I'm asking is that it is consistent and useful and that it works.

It is understandable how people are disappointed with certain features when a franchise such as this gets hyped up like it has. To be honest, I think it is up to the players to configure the game how they would like it, and that is why Bethesda has given us the tools. There is a reason why a community such as Nexus has been created, to bring modders together, and we love it here. Everyone has the right to complain and give constructive criticism, but I wish people would have a more open mind on Bethesda games considering the possibilities they give us.

I actually find the UI to be one of the best they've made. I've encountered no glitches with it, it's non-intrusive, it's easy to navigate, and it's not cramming useless artistic elements down my throat like the Witcher. Even the dialogue wheel (despite using stupid topical options instead of proper sentences) is quick, dynamic and doesn't pull you out of the game like a starship coming out of warp.

I actually find the UI to be one of the best they've made. I've encountered no glitches with it, it's non-intrusive, it's easy to navigate, and it's not cramming useless artistic elements down my throat like the Witcher. Even the dialogue wheel (despite using stupid topical options instead of proper sentences) is quick, dynamic and doesn't pull you out of the game like a starship coming out of warp.

The only glitch I had with the UI was when my graphics Drives were updated. The compass way point was spazzing out and half missing at times. luckily there was an easy fix for it, perhaps they will take note and add the fix in while there pushing out the patch.