Potential Database Breach

Dark0ne

In response to post #31569000. #31569880, #31571725, #31573255, #31573815, #31573980, #31577030 are all replies on the same post.

xraybravoxray wrote: Windows defender has caught 3 Trojans since Thanksgiving, all from Nexus. Could it be all the adds? They all seem to target my browser. Virus scans after download have not caught anything. Only catching when looking a the site.
Psijonica wrote: which mods?
GenericFallout wrote: There are a few browser-high-jackers in the banner ads once in a while. It might be them?
Iamimpossibru wrote: Adblock is a must have!
ameezeez wrote: Don't use adblock, it's unreliable for preventing hijacks in the banner ads. use your HOST file instead (Windows users).
piotrmil wrote: >Don't use adblock, it's unreliable for preventing hijacks in the banner ads. use your HOST file instead (Windows users).

heh, use BOTH. Modify the host file to get rid of any connection to those pesky sites, and Adblock to block various different ads and web parts.
endgameaddiction wrote: I've got 3 trojans a few days ago myself. Coincidence? Seems like it.

If you really want to surf safely use no-script. Most malvertising injects malware code through javascript. Sure, No-script will usually break vanilla website functionality, but you can restore the functionality that you need and continue blocking everything else by whitelisting javascript from only the sources you trust.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #31558720. #31559325, #31573900, #31574430, #31575890, #31575970 are all replies on the same post.

piotrmil wrote: Well, I never had trust in you to begin with, so nothing has been lost.
sydney666 wrote: Geez, do you really have to be an ass?
piotrmil wrote: Yes, I really have to tell the truth.
Tyerial12 wrote: well we dont trust you so nothing lost when you leave .. see ya
ShenGuardian wrote: Are you that bored with life that you have to post intentionally inflammatory posts to entertain yourself?

I swear, for every considerate human being that uses any kind of social outlet online, there is a substantially larger group that (VERY unfortunately) adds to your ranks... sickening.
ShenGuardian wrote: Feel free to reply as I'm sure you feel you must, but be sure, it will not be read by myself, I've not the time for such foolishness.

Doesn't have time for this foolishness... but has the time to respond twice.

Strangely, I'm not bothered by what piotrmil wrote at all, he's just being honest. The "positive comments only!" police will just have to deal with it I guess.

The only companies that lose trust after a breach are the ones that don't inform the users of it right away like Sony didn't tell users of PSN that there was a breach and credit card info was part of the breach. Even if it was a false positive and there was no breach it is always better to be safe than sorry and tell the users right away before confirmation.

In response to post #31573245.

urielz wrote: All mods with DLL / executables should be approach with warning. Any way to alert users of this?

I agree, whenever I download a mod with an executable that is less well-known, I uninstall it immediately. A few weeks ago, I downloaded a no-longer available mod from a third-party website, the two files the folder contained were "dsound.dll" and "zzzzz.exe"
I immediately deleted it, cleared my trashcan, and scanned my computer for virus.
(Never opened the files though, of course.)

In response to post #31580065.

jet4571 wrote: The only companies that lose trust after a breach are the ones that don't inform the users of it right away like Sony didn't tell users of PSN that there was a breach and credit card info was part of the breach. Even if it was a false positive and there was no breach it is always better to be safe than sorry and tell the users right away before confirmation.

This. Exactly this. Thanks for the heads up, Dark0ne.

In response to post #31558720. #31559325, #31573900, #31574430, #31575890, #31575970, #31579990 are all replies on the same post.

piotrmil wrote: Well, I never had trust in you to begin with, so nothing has been lost.
sydney666 wrote: Geez, do you really have to be an ass?
piotrmil wrote: Yes, I really have to tell the truth.
Tyerial12 wrote: well we dont trust you so nothing lost when you leave .. see ya
ShenGuardian wrote: Are you that bored with life that you have to post intentionally inflammatory posts to entertain yourself?

I swear, for every considerate human being that uses any kind of social outlet online, there is a substantially larger group that (VERY unfortunately) adds to your ranks... sickening.
ShenGuardian wrote: Feel free to reply as I'm sure you feel you must, but be sure, it will not be read by myself, I've not the time for such foolishness.
FishBiter wrote: Doesn't have time for this foolishness... but has the time to respond twice.

Strangely, I'm not bothered by what piotrmil wrote at all, he's just being honest. The "positive comments only!" police will just have to deal with it I guess.

...he said, after replying to comments he had to have read to have replied to.

I use BitDefender and Malwarebytes Anti-Root Kit Beta--imho, a one-two combo that kills just about anything short of a dedicated NSA hack. lol But whoever mentioned that no matter what, you're never 100% secure is unfortunately right. I don't mod (yet), but this site is a lot of fun nonetheless for the mods I've had off of here, and if Dark0ne says he's handling it, I have full faith in his efforts. All I ask is, when we catch them, can you put their real name out there so I can put them on blast on 4chan? lol

Thank you, Dark0ne, for being up-front with this! Keep up the good work--we all appreciate it.