Potential Database Breach

Dark0ne

In response to post #31618445. #31618745, #31619155 are all replies on the same post.

Enyap wrote:

In response to post #31617625.

Enyap wrote:

I went to change my password as recommended in announcement and noticed that my current e-mail address shown in User CP is not one I recognize. Like unless I registered on Nexus drunk out of my mind, I'm positive it's not my e-mail. More so the shown e-mail is from yahoo mail and when trying to log in to that yahoo says that this id is not taken yet. How can this be possible? Is my account possibly not mine anymore?

So, change it? You can easily change it, you just have to re-activate the account... Seeing as you posted, you must still have the correct password to do the change.

Im kinda reluctant to enter my legit e-mail if I'm not sure that it's nice and safe.

SjoertJansen wrote: The email to activate the account will be send to the new email address.
But I can understand what you mean, but I wouldn't fear. I don't see how that would be a problem unless you use the same password for email and this website? You could change your password first, no emails will be sent (If you used the same for both email and nexus, change both! ) .
Unless you have a keylogger on your system, or someone listening in on your internet traffic, it should be completely safe. Safer, for sure, than having someone else's email, or as the strange email would suggest, someone else with your current password.

Joe
Eolath wrote: You shouldn't. It'll just add your email to the hackers database if there is indeed a breach. Don't change your email yet until we have confirmation that the breach is fixed.

Fair point. But, what is the use of having someone's email address if you do no have the password.. It would basically mean you can't use email any-more?. Unless there is a continued breach on Nexus AND on your email client at the same time, why would it matter. Lets postulate there already is a breach, they know your current password, so they could change both email and password whenever they wish (you don't need your email for that). There would be no difference. Only if the password for your email is the same or really crappy.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to hear this - I remember when something similar happened in the past on Nexus and the email address I was using at the time was rendered useless owing to the large amount of spam received, It's happened again? Once is pretty bad, twice is really bad. Hope things get sorted.

In response to post #31620705.

kenjking wrote: I wonder if this would explain that as of this morning 12/7/15 every time I attempt to start Fallout 4, all of my mods are deactivated.

New PC Update dude.

That means until the mods you have are updated, their esps are auto disabled.

In response to post #31615475.

Doxxy wrote: Dark,

I was hit with a phishing pop up from one of the ads that got piped in.
And no, I didnt call the number. But it was definately from the piped in ads. Just fyi.

me too. i got the same pop up. Had to shut down Chrome from task manager to get away from it.

This let's us know how important the Nexus is to our gaming. It makes me wonder how many others are feeling the same way I do by not being as excited to play Fallout 4 without my mods enabled!

In response to post #31620705. #31620800 is also a reply to the same post.

kenjking wrote: I wonder if this would explain that as of this morning 12/7/15 every time I attempt to start Fallout 4, all of my mods are deactivated.
ZidanReign wrote: New PC Update dude.

I feel dumb for asking, but can you elaborate on what you mean?

In response to post #31620705. #31620800, #31621540 are all replies on the same post.

ZidanReign wrote: New PC Update dude.

ZyaxScorn wrote: I feel dumb for asking, but can you elaborate on what you mean?

@ZidanReign
I feel dumb for asking, but could you elaborate?

Has anyone tried uploading that suspicious DLL to antivirus conpany labs? Most of them have forms where you can upload questionable files for in-depth human analysis. I think that it would be really inportant to know what that file carried and how big risk it poses for all the involved.