What to do about identical mod ideas?

Khormin

First: Personally, I just talk to the mod author if I'm aware of it, and figure out from there what to do, because people generally tend to be reasonable and friendly here.

What do people do when they've been working on a mod or feature for existing mod that is not being discussed, and another modder brings out identical/very similar changes?

Not talking about "stealing ideas" from discussed threads; that's a whole different kettle of fish.

But let's say you're working on a mod with some new features that you've only vaguely hinted at - and then find that someone else has had the same idea? What do you do, personally?

Opinion, cloned mods is STILL better than the infinitely expanding amount of save games flooding the nexus and everywhere else.

Just put effort into it, someone will appreciate it. Maybe.

Another problem is a lot of junk simply isn't compatible with each other, as long as it isn't ripped straight, it can at least be an alternative.

Edited by GideonIon

Personally, since I had a similar idea as another modder I joined their development team. If that's not an option, though, I'd say just make it! Odds are it won't be the exact same as their idea, and it might be what some people like better. Think of body mods for Skyrim: CBBE and UNP are the same idea done differently and have very dedicated followings.

Honestly, you should make your mod the way you want as if you were in a bubble and nothing else existed.

It may sound odd to say that, but in my experience, authors that worry about their mod being too similar to other mods tend to bend their vision to avoid that and as such end up not making what they wish to play. This leads to less interest in the mod in the long run and in many cases leads to a worse mod.

Focus on what you want to play and implement that. Even if there are only extremely minor differences between your mod and another, those differences will shine as alternative options for players.

I think I am the author he is talking about. I encourage you to do your mod, or as I said in my message, I will happily work with you on a joint mod and give you equal credit. I just want good mods. Hogging the spotlight is not my interest.

You guys can help me find a bug in another thread I am about to post. :)

I'd keep making it. It may not be an issue now, but in the future - you'll also see modders fade/disappear or end support based on Bethesda updates, lack of interest, real life interference, etc.

Actual file replacements might not need such upkeep - but still, everyone enjoys variety - well, I know I do atleast. :)

Hah, you are indeed Thom, and more than happy to help.

And thank you for reaffirming my original thought of "the mod authors here seem to be pretty awesome".

Race! In all honesty just make your mod, if the shortcoming of the other mod becomes apparent later ( which all mods have shortcomings) maybe look at resolving that shortcoming in your mod when it does become apparent. Usually this is something like compatibility with other mods. Or if it never shows up, just do your thing. If you're passionate about this you shouldn't have any problems. :)