new fallout 4 update today broke my mods

RedBarrel

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be special. I didn't have to change anything after the update; my mods were just working. Of course, all of my ini files and my plugins file are read only, so the update couldn't touch them.

Honestly, though, when the hell is Steam going to allow us to completely turn off automatic updating for a chosen game? The last thing I want is for a game that I have modified to automatically update and break everything in the process. I'd like to read about the update and apply it at the time of my choosing.

As a long time bethesda supporter, and modder since Oblivion, this confounds and saddens me if this is intentional blocking.

I really hope this isn't for some sort of weak DLC ala Horse armor. DLC is suited for quest storylines.

Edited by mystikhybrid

Haven't seen any noted changes so far apart from the .ini disable; certainly the bugs are still there.

As I quoted into the "Why do people hate Fallout 4" thread;

Will Fallout 4 support mods?
Published 09/09/2015 10:40 AM | Updated 11/16/2015 01:43 PM

Yes! Like all our previous games, we've made sure to keep Fallout 4 open and moddable at every step in development. In early 2016, we'll release for free the new Creation Kit for the PC. This is the same tool we use in the studio.

With the Creation Kit, you'll be able to create your own mods and share them with others. In the future, these same mods will be coming to both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 platforms.

http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/30930/kw/mod

The way I've worked around this ever since I first had FO4 wipe my plugins.txt file clean is to make sure it is set to "Read Only' after making any changes with NMM, NMM unlocks the Read Only setting and then it seems FO4 launcher wipes the plugins.txt. Just get into the habit of re-locking it after any changes and FO4 will leave it alone until you use NMM to add/remove or move any Mods?

Plugin.txt is in: Win 10: Local Disk (C:) Users > Your Profile > AppData > Local > Fallot4 > plugins.txt keep a shortcut of this Fallout4 folder on your desktop for quick access to the file, quicker than NMM, if FO4 does wipe the plugins.txt and you have problems with NMM there is normally a back up of the same esp details in the load order.txt saved in the same location

You may need to set you PC to show hidden folders/files as some players used to have trouble finding the AppData Folder?

PS: TBH Steam could not give a damn about passing down any Beth Updates that breaks players games, they changed the "Update when I say to" many years back to "Always Update" or "Update when I launch this game" they will not change it back. It stuffed up thousands of Skyrim players games and yet they still do it, only way to stop it is to stay offline with Steam, watch for updates, wait and see what the reports on it say, check for mod updates if needed, then go back online. Or be prepared to make a new start with every major FO4 update if it messes up any of the mods you use and breaks your saves, simple as that and they do not care.

Edited by BretonWarrior

As we learned the hard way with Skyrim, if you are running a game that depends on mods, always put Steam in offline mode before launching the game. Patches are usually dropped with no notice or warning and Steam does not respect user wishes about whether or not to install them. This will be especially true when mods that require the script extender start coming out, because every patch will break it until it is updated (probably within a day).

I remember someone making a utility for Skyrim that would prevent Steam updating it without permission. Hopefully someone makes one for FO4.

Anyone else think, at least in some part, their desire and plans for paid mods are involved?

That was up to the creators; I thought it was a great idea. You pay for the content you wanted to pay for, and you got see the true motives of some of the modders. They learned to code somewhere and so can the rest of us.

As for creating rumors & crying about losing everything..

The game releases without official mod support, but some are put out anyways. A lot of them are really just shortcuts for existing console commands. An update to the game is released, as they tend to, and people go bat-s*** crazy! Now imagine if all of the complaints, whining and rumors repeated themselves everytime someone's save is messed up (that incorporates modified game values), the forums wouldn't be a happy-looking place.

Bottom Line, Mods are not Officially supported yet. Anything a user adds to the game is their risk, not the developers. If something goes horribly wrong with only vanilla content, then yes, ask for help. But don't hack up your game, then wonder why it's broken.

Edited by Mikemc31

Anyone else think, at least in some part, their desire and plans for paid mods are involved?

That was up to the creators; I thought it was a great idea. You pay for the content you wanted to pay for, and you got see the true motives of some of the modders. They learned to code somewhere and so can the rest of us.

As for creating rumors & crying about losing everything..

The game releases without official mod support, but some are put out anyways. A lot of them are really just shortcuts for existing console commands. An update to the game is released, as they tend to, and people go bat-s*** crazy! Now imagine if all of the complaints, whining and rumors repeated themselves everytime someone's save is messed up (that incorporates modified game values), the forums wouldn't be a happy-looking place.

Bottom Line, Mods are not Officially supported yet. Anything a user adds to the game is their risk, not the developers. If something goes horribly wrong with only vanilla content, then yes, ask for help. But don't hack up your game, then wonder why it's broken.

Many of us thought paid mods where a good idea, except if someone other the modding community had control over.

I do not understand how any player doesn't see the value in allowing mod development to progress as rapidly as possible.

If you compare the states of FO:NV and Skyrim pre-mods to their states after modding for them had become significantly advanced. It becomes apparent that stifling, discouraging, or limiting modding and mod development is not a positive thing from the players' perspective.

Not "officially" supporting mods is one thing, discouraging them is something entirely different. If that is indeed the case.

We're not talking about updates to the game that broke some mods. We're talking about a change to the launcher that attempts to completely disable mods.

This happens to not be the Bethesda forums, so no one here is asking for help from Bethesda regarding their broken mods.