Database Breach - An Update

Dark0ne

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #31635470. #31635895, #31636295, #31639400 are all replies on the same post.

Arthmoor wrote: Good to know about the planned security enhancements, but if I may suggest, please offer something more than 2FA through a smartphone. Some of us don't have one, can't afford one, or don't want to provide that number to anyone over the internet for privacy reasons. I fall into the "can't afford" category for what it's worth, so some other method to enable this would be greatly appreciated.
Dark0ne wrote: I hope we can also implement some sort of system similar to how Facebook and Steam send access codes via email when an unrecognised login is received.
Detonate wrote: I agree, i dont use this, sites that demand it, i dont visit. "We just had a security breach, where they stole your email, now please give us your phone number as well", no thanks!!
Dark0ne wrote: To clarify; the concept of 2FA is that it's an optional security extra. It's not a forced requirement.

I second the opinion that if 2FA is added please dont require a "smart" phone. I use a "dumb" phone by preference because of its simplicity and durability. I work in an industry where Id go through 1 smart phone a week, this dumb phone been going 3 years strong now :) All other services with 2FA I use are compatible with my dumb phone because its just a text message containing a code. Also when did we stop calling them cell phones? Edited by scrivener07

In response to post #31635470. #31635895, #31636295, #31639400, #31641690 are all replies on the same post.

Arthmoor wrote: Good to know about the planned security enhancements, but if I may suggest, please offer something more than 2FA through a smartphone. Some of us don't have one, can't afford one, or don't want to provide that number to anyone over the internet for privacy reasons. I fall into the "can't afford" category for what it's worth, so some other method to enable this would be greatly appreciated.
Dark0ne wrote: I hope we can also implement some sort of system similar to how Facebook and Steam send access codes via email when an unrecognised login is received.
Detonate wrote: I agree, i dont use this, sites that demand it, i dont visit. "We just had a security breach, where they stole your email, now please give us your phone number as well", no thanks!!
Dark0ne wrote: To clarify; the concept of 2FA is that it's an optional security extra. It's not a forced requirement.
scrivener07 wrote: I second the opinion that if 2FA is added please dont require a "smart" phone. I use a "dumb" phone by preference because of its simplicity and durability. I work in an industry where Id go through 1 smart phone a week, this dumb phone been going 3 years strong now :) All other services with 2FA I use are compatible with my dumb phone because its just a text message containing a code. Also when did we stop calling them cell phones?

Oh, good! I was a bit worried, as I also fall into the "can't afford" one category in regards to smartphones.

Thank you for all your hard work Dark0ne. :)

Your handling of this should be used to train people on how to deal with this type of issue. I truly appreciate how honest and frank you have been with us. There is no lock that can't be picked, and this sort of thing can happen with any site. It's how you handle it that matters. And I feel you have handled it admirably. I've recommended this site to many of my friends, and I will continue to do so.

In response to post #31635470. #31635895, #31636295, #31639400, #31641690, #31641935 are all replies on the same post.

scrivener07 wrote: I second the opinion that if 2FA is added please dont require a "smart" phone. I use a "dumb" phone by preference because of its simplicity and durability. I work in an industry where Id go through 1 smart phone a week, this dumb phone been going 3 years strong now :) All other services with 2FA I use are compatible with my dumb phone because its just a text message containing a code. Also when did we stop calling them cell phones?
Eolhin wrote: Oh, good! I was a bit worried, as I also fall into the "can't afford" one category in regards to smartphones.

Thank you for all your hard work Dark0ne. :)

Also when did we stop calling them cell phones?

We never started calling them that to begin with. They've always been mobile phones!

Thank you very much for keeping us all informed. It has been a timely reminder, for some of us (myself in particular), to stop procrastinating about the digital "spring cleaning" and just get it done.

So, thanks again :)

I'd like to suggest that you include a review of your hosted Advertisements, as well. Several times, my antivirus has alerted on a hosted Ad.

There are cyber threat intelligence feeds (some free, some paid) that can provide dynamic updates of IPs and URLs of known malicious sites. I'd recommend that you examine ways to integrate some of those feeds into a filter to keep known malicious sites from presenting Ads.