File endorsements in their own discussion topic

Dark0ne

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is horrible, every file now has duplicate threads and for all of the endorsement ones the site bot post with the mod link and blurb in is buried several pages in.

Can the two at least be pinned to each other or something? As-is the Uploaded files forum is a bloated mess and I can't properly browse it. On the subject of subforums maybe split endorsements off into their own branch from uploaded files so the Uploaded files remains as before, but endorsements are in their own threads in an "Uploads Endorsement" etc Subforum branching from the main uploads one.

I think the question is this - Is the Endorsements topic really necessary when you can see what someone said in the endorsements feedback (that thing you get when you click the thumbs up or thumbs down)?

You're right: why an endorsement must create a topic?

If you don't like a mod, there's one or more reasons; the site doesn't create a topic since you can see the reasons by clicking on the thumb down.

If you like a mod, there isn't a reason, so a new topic it's completely useless.

If you want to create a topic to specify your reasons or just say "Good idea!", "Great tool!", "I like it!" or similar phrases, you can always do it.

Edited by forli

I've found that the simple fix is to post a comment in both sections, then you can watch them from the My Content section as well as getting notifications for posts in any of the discussion threads for the mod.

I'll second the opinion that an endorsements thread/topic isn't required and just serves to confuse/clutter things.

An endorsement simply tells people if you endorse the mod or not. If you want to say why you think the mod is good, or bad, you leave a comment. Hence there's no point in having endorsement messages.

I'm going to ignore the thumbs down option here, as I know it's going to go at some point, but here's my proposed system:

The thumbs up icon stays in its current position, and the number of endorsements is displayed as it currently is beside it. They retain their functionality.

Below these, there is the "I want to endorse this file." button. Clicking on this simply registers your endorsement, no new window is opened or anything. If you've already endorsed the file, the text reads "I want to remove my endorsement.", and clicking on it removes the endorsement without any new windows opening. Quick and simple, without diverting the user's attention from the current page. If you make a mistake and click the button accidentally, that's OK, because you just have to click the button again, sidestepping the requirement for confirmation dialogs.

Endorsing a file increases its counter by one, that is the only change, no new post in a thread or anything. Similarly, removing an endorsement just decreases the counter by one.

If someone then wants to make a comment, all the need to do is click the comment tab and select "Add a comment" as normal. Since there have been no pop up windows or disruptions to the 'flow' of the page and the user experience, this is no more of a hassle than previously.

Does that sound good or not?

EDIT: Since the above is basically a request, I'll add a request that files you have editing access for appear in your comment tracker. Most of the files I manage here are not files for which I am the entry creator or sole author, and while I find the comment tracker is very useful for the three entries I have created, I'd like to have the same for the entries I can edit.

Historically there's generally been a slight lag between the 'owned' entries and the 'editing access' entries feature sets and I hope this is simply the case here.

So in summary:

1. Please get rid of endorsement messages/threads/posts/topics.

2. Please expand the comment tracker to cover files members have editing access for.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by wrinklyninja

Going along with wrinkly's second suggestion, I think it would be nice to expand comment tracking to where you can track the owner's (or anyone who has similar access) comments if you want - Sometimes I say something or ask for help and I'd like to know if that person responded.

I apologize if I seemed unpolite, English is not my native language. What I meant was that in my opinion the new comment system is somehow less user-friendly because it takes more time for me to check and reply new comments.