cs crash on startup

thejudge90

not a problem striker but i have been digging around a while and i came across something interesting in the construction set ini

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

SMasterMismatchWarning=One of the files that "%s" is dependent on has changed since the last save.

i have not edited/modified this file in any way shape or form.

The old missing master story. You have an some_mods_name.esp that depends on some_mods_name.esm as it's master file that is missing in action. Go through your mods and find the one that requires a master that's not there in your Data folder. A BOSS report will help (it will have "Missing master" entries).

not a problem striker but i have been digging around a while and i came across something interesting in the construction set ini

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

SMasterMismatchWarning=One of the files that "%s" is dependent on has changed since the last save.

i have not edited/modified this file in any way shape or form.

The old missing master story. You have an some_mods_name.esp that depends on some_mods_name.esm as it's master file that is missing in action. Go through your mods and find the one that requires a master that's not there in your Data folder. A BOSS report will help (it will have "Missing master" entries).

If I may?

Those entries in constructionset.ini are error strings ONLY. They are NOT errors. They are handled by the CS when and if an error occurs. Please ignore them, and do not edit or remove them.

as the title says i just cannot open the cs crashes on startup every time i have oblivion downloaded in c:\games and i have downloaded everything with administrative rights.

i get the following error:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: TESConstructionSet.exe

<snip>

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

<snip>

Exception Code: c0000005

<snip>

what does this mean?

Edit:

just checked and the same thing happens with Construction Set version 1_2_404

This is an unhandled exception, and ntdll.dll was the active module when the exception occured, NOT necessarily the faulting module.

Unhandled exceptions are extremley difficult to diagnose. My advice to you is to first scan your system with up to date antivirus databases -- be sure to do a complete system scan (leave it running overnight). Once you have don that, if you are running Windows 7/Vista, uninstall Oblivion from the default Program Files and install to somewhere like C:\Games\Oblivion, then add the CS executable to your DEP exception list.

And I do wish people would avoid suggesting DxDiag logs. I have yet to see anybody that suggested it to come back and diagnose one. It is simply information overload.

Card name: Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

This would be why. You have an integrated chipset for video. This will never run the CS, or the Game. You need to upgrade to a real video card.

This is exactly the problem here, and exactly why a dxdiag is sometimes indicated.

This would be why. You have an integrated chipset for video. This will never run the CS, or the Game. You need to upgrade to a real video card.

This is exactly the problem here, and exactly why a dxdiag is sometimes indicated.

It does not take a DxDiag log to determine if a system is capable of running Oblivion, or any other game; there are other, more appropriate methods of doing that. DxDiag is a tool specifically for diagnosing DirectX functionality. If DirectX is suspected, and the proposer understands a DxDiag log, then yes, but this is almost never the case, and I see all too frequently people pop in and say, "you need to post a DxDiag log... bye!", and disappear into the sunset. It (DxDiag) is hardly ever relevant for diagnosing Oblivion crashes, and almost never necessary for troubleshooting mods. As it is usually used it provides nothing more than extraneous information. Don't get me wrong about this. I would love for somebody to come along and say post your DxDiag log and then come back and actually diagnose the information that's there. It just doesn't happen.

It does not take a DxDiag log to determine if a system is capable of running Oblivion, or any other game; there are other, more appropriate methods of doing that. DxDiag is a tool specifically for diagnosing DirectX functionality. If DirectX is suspected, and the proposer understands a DxDiag log, then yes, but this is almost never the case, and I see all too frequently people pop in and say, "you need to post a DxDiag log... bye!", and disappear into the sunset. It (DxDiag) is hardly ever relevant for diagnosing Oblivion crashes, and almost never necessary for troubleshooting mods. As it is usually used it provides nothing more than extraneous information. Don't get me wrong about this. I would love for somebody to come along and say post your DxDiag log and then come back and actually diagnose the information that's there. It just doesn't happen.

I completely disagree. The Dxdiag report gives essential information on a players hardware, installed codecs, how 'busy' the machine is at startup, driver versions, etc. The 'more appropriate' method is not exactly accurate either. It is a general tool, that does not delve deep enough into just what hardware is installed, to make a valid judgement on whether a given computer can actually run a game or not. I have seen many, many, many threads where CURI has said a particular machine is capable, but, in reality (given the dxdiag) it just isn't the case.

I will stick with my methods, thank you very much. :D

I completely disagree. The Dxdiag report gives essential information on a players hardware, installed codecs, how 'busy' the machine is at startup, driver versions, etc. The 'more appropriate' method is not exactly accurate either. It is a general tool, that does not delve deep enough into just what hardware is installed, to make a valid judgement on whether a given computer can actually run a game or not. I have seen many, many, many threads where CURI has said a particular machine is capable, but, in reality (given the dxdiag) it just isn't the case.

Then please, feel free to use that DxDiag log to diagnose why the OP cannot open the CS. I'm listening.

One of the things I really like about the 'ride alongs' I do in these forums (well OK, sometimes I throw in my two cents), is the variety of viewpoints on different problems. Back when I worked I always appreciated having 'another set of eyes' on my unit when things were upset. My coworkers would almost always see things I'd missed or have a different solution to a problem. It was never an issue of who's right ... it was finding the best solution. Sometimes that takes a team.

It would be really informative and nice to have some detail analysis and explanation of some of the stuff in a DXdiag report though. I for one would appreciate it.

Then please, feel free to use that DxDiag log to diagnose why the OP cannot open the CS. I'm listening.

In case you didn't notice. I already have.

@Striker879:

Here is an interpretation guide with some good info. It is a bit dated..... as Nightmare2013 hasn't been around for quite some time, and was originally written for Morrowind....

Edited by HeyYou