cs crash on startup

thejudge90

Card name: Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

This would be why. You have an integrated chipset for video. This will never run the CS, or the Game. You need to upgrade to a real video card.

This is exactly the problem here, and exactly why a dxdiag is sometimes indicated.

It does not take a DxDiag log to determine if a system is capable of running Oblivion, or any other game; there are other, more appropriate methods of doing that. DxDiag is a tool specifically for diagnosing DirectX functionality. If DirectX is suspected, and the proposer understands a DxDiag log, then yes, but this is almost never the case, and I see all too frequently people pop in and say, "you need to post a DxDiag log... bye!", and disappear into the sunset. It (DxDiag) is hardly ever relevant for diagnosing Oblivion crashes, and almost never necessary for troubleshooting mods. As it is usually used it provides nothing more than extraneous information. Don't get me wrong about this. I would love for somebody to come along and say post your DxDiag log and then come back and actually diagnose the information that's there. It just doesn't happen.

I completely disagree. The Dxdiag report gives essential information on a players hardware, installed codecs, how 'busy' the machine is at startup, driver versions, etc. The 'more appropriate' method is not exactly accurate either. It is a general tool, that does not delve deep enough into just what hardware is installed, to make a valid judgement on whether a given computer can actually run a game or not. I have seen many, many, many threads where CURI has said a particular machine is capable, but, in reality (given the dxdiag) it just isn't the case.

I will stick with my methods, thank you very much. :D

Then please, feel free to use that DxDiag log to diagnose why the OP cannot open the CS. I'm listening.

In case you didn't notice. I already have.

I'm sorry, I must have missed that, and can't seem to find it. I noticed where you said that an integrated chipset will not run the game or the CS, but that's not a diagnosis, nor is it true. I have two systems with integrated video chips that run the CS perfectly fine.

This would be why. You have an integrated chipset for video. This will never run the CS, or the Game. You need to upgrade to a real video card.

This is exactly the problem here, and exactly why a dxdiag is sometimes indicated.

It does not take a DxDiag log to determine if a system is capable of running Oblivion, or any other game; there are other, more appropriate methods of doing that. DxDiag is a tool specifically for diagnosing DirectX functionality. If DirectX is suspected, and the proposer understands a DxDiag log, then yes, but this is almost never the case, and I see all too frequently people pop in and say, "you need to post a DxDiag log... bye!", and disappear into the sunset. It (DxDiag) is hardly ever relevant for diagnosing Oblivion crashes, and almost never necessary for troubleshooting mods. As it is usually used it provides nothing more than extraneous information. Don't get me wrong about this. I would love for somebody to come along and say post your DxDiag log and then come back and actually diagnose the information that's there. It just doesn't happen.

I completely disagree. The Dxdiag report gives essential information on a players hardware, installed codecs, how 'busy' the machine is at startup, driver versions, etc. The 'more appropriate' method is not exactly accurate either. It is a general tool, that does not delve deep enough into just what hardware is installed, to make a valid judgement on whether a given computer can actually run a game or not. I have seen many, many, many threads where CURI has said a particular machine is capable, but, in reality (given the dxdiag) it just isn't the case.

Then please, feel free to use that DxDiag log to diagnose why the OP cannot open the CS. I'm listening.

I'm sorry, I must have missed that, and can't seem to find it. I noticed where you said that an integrated chipset will not run the game or the CS, but that's not a diagnosis, nor is it true. I have two systems with integrated video chips that run the CS perfectly fine.

The intel G3X series of integrated video chipsets do not suport hardware transform and lighting. Some of the newer ones do. I would bet that is what you have on the system that will actually run the game/cs. On a side note, rumor has it, the cs is more resource intensive to run, than the game is......

Oblivion also requires a card with 256mb of video RAM, that would be Dedicated vram, not 'shared', as Vista, and Win7 now support, his chipset has zero. Shared vram is not nearly so speedy as dedicated. (actually ON the card) The game can be convinced to 'run' on the older chipsets (at least, some of them...) by using Oldblivion, but, even that can't help a fair number of them.

Yes, there ARE integrated chipsets that will run the game, and the cs. This particular member does not have one of them. Without an upgrade, his system will not run either.

The intel G3X series of integrated video chipsets do not suport hardware transform and lighting. Some of the newer ones do. I would bet that is what you have on the system that will actually run the game/cs. On a side note, rumor has it, the cs is more resource intensive to run, than the game is......

Oblivion also requires a card with 256mb of video RAM, that would be Dedicated vram, not 'shared', as Vista, and Win7 now support, his chipset has zero. Shared vram is not nearly so speedy as dedicated. (actually ON the card) The game can be convinced to 'run' on the older chipsets (at least, some of them...) by using Oldblivion, but, even that can't help a fair number of them.

Yes, there ARE integrated chipsets that will run the game, and the cs. This particular member does not have one of them. Without an upgrade, his system will not run either.

I am sure that this information will be much more useful to the OP than the original, so thank you for that, and thank you for indulging me.

And, on a side note... I do not listen to rumours.

I am sure that this information will be much more useful to the OP than the original, so thank you for that, and thank you for indulging me.

And, on a side note... I do not listen to rumours.

You are quite welcome. :D

I have never really bothered to test the theory that the CS is more resource intensive than the game. Never really been an issue to me. But, sometimes... the rumors are true. :D

I have never really bothered to test the theory that the CS is more resource intensive than the game. Never really been an issue to me. But, sometimes... the rumors are true. :D

Rumours are never true, by definition. Once the truth is out, it is no longer a rumour. :)

Rumours are never true, by definition. Once the truth is out, it is no longer a rumour. :)

Except in politics..... But, that is probably straying into no-no territory. :nuke:

I am not sure if anyone has actually tested the theory........ of course, I haven't looked either.......

Except in politics..... But, that is probably straying into no-no territory. :nuke:

I am not sure if anyone has actually tested the theory........ of course, I haven't looked either.......

Politics. Yes, that strange domain where everything is rumour, and there are no truths.