Fallout 4 1.3 Update Now Official!

SirSalami

So I have sorted out my CTD problem...some feedback after 15 minutes of playing.

Actually I am impressed by the massive performance gains. I can play with god rays on ULTRA, the new SSAO, the new particle effects at Ultra as well. Shadows set to Ultra quality, and distance to medium. So far getting a smooth 60fps everywhere. Usually with these settings prior I would get 45-50fps.

Hopefully once all the mods get updated, the game will begin to be further optimized.

Btw, the new lighting and shadow effects make the game a lot prettier, but I have seen areas of shadow striping where I didn't before. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... so my Minutemen radio hasn't been working for a long time now but since I never listen to it I didn't ever go looking for a solution... but now since the latest game patch Diamond City Radio isn't working either. Dead silent.

EDIT: Nvm... waiting 24 hours made Diamond City Radio start back up, and powering off and on the Castle transmitter started Radio Freedom back up.

Edited by RicAdbur

In response to post #34068410. #34072035 is also a reply to the same post.

prodajie wrote: Since the update I'm getting a CTD when attempting to enter build mode for any settlement.
huenni87 wrote: Same here. CTD when I enter the build mode. I try disable Settlement Keywords, Snap and Build and Alternetive Settlements but it doesn't help.

same here nothing

In response to post #34078110.

sydney666 wrote: So I have sorted out my CTD problem...some feedback after 15 minutes of playing.

Actually I am impressed by the massive performance gains. I can play with god rays on ULTRA, the new SSAO, the new particle effects at Ultra as well. Shadows set to Ultra quality, and distance to medium. So far getting a smooth 60fps everywhere. Usually with these settings prior I would get 45-50fps.

Hopefully once all the mods get updated, the game will begin to be further optimized.

Btw, the new lighting and shadow effects make the game a lot prettier, but I have seen areas of shadow striping where I didn't before. Anyone else experiencing this?

Okay update.

On everything ultra, shadows, god rays and all. Some areas I have tested heavily in the past, where I would drop down to around 30fps, now I have approximately 50-55 fps. 99% of the game, even in Diamond City I am getting a smooth 60 with all these settings, including the new ones bumped up to their highest settings.

This is a massive performance boost from 10-15 in most of the game (45/50 to 60fps), and up to 20-25 fps boost in the most demanding areas (30 to 50-55fps).

My system is 2600k OC to 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM, Gigabyte GTX980 G1 and 2XIntel 510 SSD in Raid 0.

Other than some modding teething issues causing CTD (now resolved thanks to our great community), I am pretty happy with the performance gains.

The games new AO setting, HBAO+ (ultra) adds those nice little shadows to lots of the textures and objects - it actually looks really nice on trash piles and other textures and such from Commonwealth HQ, Langleys Workshop and Vivid Landscapes. I didn't know that ambient occlusion worked on supposed flat textures, but I can certainly see increased depth in them.

I also really enjoy the weapon debris. Using this in conjunction with Rain of Brass, Long range bullet holes mods and an ini tweak to keep decals up longer just makes shoot outs all that more interesting. I shot up a building with over 2000+ bullets and there were loads of chipped wood and concrete, as well as loads of bullet holes and shells. It looked chaotic and I didn't notice a performance hit on my 5 year old rig (minus the 980 of course). I am sure performance will vary, but I am sure it will improve on older cards. Curious to know how others go, please post your specs so we can get an idea of what performance people can expect to see.

I am actually really impressed - which is quite shocking because only an hour ago I was lamenting how none of my saves would load, but Bethesda is not to blame for mods crashing because they were made on older versions of the game.

Also remember to refresh your ini's because a lot of the old edits such as the texture loading fix;

bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=0
iTextureUpgradeDistance1=7500
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=5000
iTextureDegradeDistance1=7500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=5000

That is no longer needed because I think Bethesda fixed the overlaying texture issue which was using up a lot of CPU and GPU processing.

Oh and one little edit I tried was;

gr grid XX to give god rays more "rays" so to speak. I think default is 64, I tried 128, 256 and 512 and 512 being by far the prettiest, and I also did not notice much if any performance impact. It also helps lessen the shimmering the god rays do on lower settings. This tweak was found on the Geforce tweaking guide.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide#fallout-4-config-file-tweaks

Happy gaming everyone! Edited by sydney666

In response to post #34068410. #34072035, #34078570 are all replies on the same post.

prodajie wrote: Since the update I'm getting a CTD when attempting to enter build mode for any settlement.
huenni87 wrote: Same here. CTD when I enter the build mode. I try disable Settlement Keywords, Snap and Build and Alternetive Settlements but it doesn't help.
ludvig08 wrote: same here nothing

same here getting ctd when in build mode

Just updated F4SE, Shadow Boost, & FO4 to the latest versions & my saves load up with no issues. Only time will tell if everything works like it's supposed to & hopefully, the new patch doesn't break anything that was working before. Still need a fix for the Rapid Reload perk when wearing Power Armor & the earthquake-like shaking screen bug when companions are wearing Power Armor though.

We. Do. Not. Want. Forced. Updates. For. A. Heavily. Modded. PC. Game.

Why. Can't. We. Bloody. Wait. Until. Everything. Is. Fixed.

I feel like even if we spelled it out one letter at a time and subliminally infested the dreams of the developers these days it still wouldn't get into their head. Sometimes I just want to play my games for a while since they still work after spending hours browsing for mods/creating mods and installing them while making sure everything plays nice. How are super busy people supposed to deal with this? Spend most of their nights off checking for incompatibilities or small bugs that might be caused by some small code change? It makes me curious about that one new system that is like steam that says it allows users to disconnect. I really like some of the ability to stay "connected" these days but I would rather have it be optional. After programming all day I don't need my hand held about which updates to install and when. Yeah, it is just this once but since there were apparently so many issues before on previous updates that broke mods as well as the beta update, I can foresee a future of a repetitive cycle of having to fight my own game installation directory tooth and nail.

What joys I shall have determining if a newly installed mod is causing issues after this or if it was the patch.

Thanks for any warnings about mods breaking as well as the news. I wish that developers would be more respectful of their mod communities like they used to be.. since half of the time the mod community is what is really selling and/or fixing their game for them. I'll be waiting a few weeks to play until everything blows over/mods update.

Edit: For anyone in my boat, even though it is too late for me to undo the update (for reference I did not ctd but that doesn't mean bad things aren't happening to my save file behind the scenes so I will instead spend a bunch of time checking to make sure all mods are properly updated).. you might be able to wait a little while by using Finagles method listed below of using the script extender to bypass steam updates temporarily. I forgot about this method from back in the skyrim days. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Ravvid: Phase -0