The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@angelfenriz - Are you looking at getting a 32gb SSD just for Skyrim?

Yes sirs :yes:

I have a 96 GB SSD that I use for my OS and main programs (no games) I have it about 42% full right now and am debating whether or not to install Skyrim on it myself. I would guesstimate that the game and mods will take at least 20 GB of space if not more, so you should be fine if that's the only thing on it... as long as it is a TRIM capable OS and SSD you should be ok as long as it stays under 85-90% capacity. :)

@angelfenriz - Are you looking at getting a 32gb SSD just for Skyrim?

Yes sirs :yes:

I have a 96 GB SSD that I use for my OS and main programs (no games) I have it about 42% full right now and am debating whether or not to install Skyrim on it myself. I would guesstimate that the game and mods will take at least 20 GB of space if not more, so you should be fine if that's the only thing on it... as long as it is a TRIM capable OS and SSD you should be ok as long as it stays under 85-90% capacity. :)

I ordered a 32 gb ssd solely for Skyrim and a Black Caviar for OS and everything else my 2tb 5400 rpm will just be for extra storage now. So I hope that 32gb will get it and I wouldn't see why not but then you never know especially when mods start rolling out. I'm running windows 7 home 64bit so I think I'll have any problems out of the ssd.

I did a lot of research on this and there are a lot of different opinions about ssd's, raptors, raid configurations and the like. My HD was a huge oversight in the creation of my pc and I never had researched about speed and performance and it's prolly been bottlenecking me a bit, eh oh well live and learn. I think I made the right choice and I think Skyrim will deserve it's own ssd. This is the last upgrade I'll be making.... I hope. :thumbsup:

I totally agree! People need time to do upgrades if they feel they need to. I want to know how many gb it's going to be so I have healthy breathing room for mods. I had to order blindly last night and hope that I did the right thing.

if you are only worried about storage

get a 1TB outboard for under $100 (usb3/2)

Motherboard: P55-UD3

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

RAM: 4GB

HD: 748GB

32-bit Windows 7

DirectX 10

Should I overclock my CPU and GPU or do you think it wil be enough to run skyrim on highest settings?

I get 50 degrees/core (I think its 125F) when I'm playing Fallout NV on Ultra settings.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

32-bit Windows 7

DirectX 10

Should I overclock my CPU and GPU or do you think it wil be enough to run skyrim on highest settings?

I get 50 degrees/core (I think its 125F) when I'm playing Fallout NV on Ultra settings.

you should be fine its above the recommended

Recommended System Requirements:

CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz

RAM: 3 GB

HDD: 15 GB free disk space

Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory

Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible

DirectX: Version 9.0c

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

32-bit Windows 7

DirectX 10

you should be fine its above the recommended

Recommended System Requirements:

CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz

RAM: 3 GB

HDD: 15 GB free disk space

Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory

Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Those are not the official system requirements.

The official ones will be released this or next week.

Here's what Pete said:

https://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/124084906828636160

The system requirements will be released next week.

Edited by Iv000

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

32-bit Windows 7

DirectX 10

You need to list the resolution that you game at. If you game at 1280 x 1024 or 1920 x 1080 there is a big difference. Even at 1080p you should be able to play the game, but probably not on max settings. All that we really know for sure at this point is that one of the private demos was running on an i7 980 and a GTX 470 @ 1680 x 1050 and was smooth and gorgeous according to the review in PC Gamer.

Overclocking your CPU a little bit will help tremendously...get it to at least 3GHz. There's quite a performance increase in a lot of programs once you get there.

After seeing a lot of screenshots and gameplay, I know I'll be able to play very nicely ;)

Processor:

AMD Phenom II X4 BE B55 @ 4.0GHz

Memory:

2x2GB DDR3 Gskill RipJaws @ 1607MHz

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3

Graphics Card::

HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Soundcard:

SB XFi Extreme Gamer Fata1ity Pro w/M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 2.0

Monitor Size:

24" 1920x1200

I can play The Witcher 2 at 1920x1200, all maxed, with Ubersampling off, runs 45-60FPS depending on where I am. The graphics on that game look far better than the screenshots I've seen of Skyrim.