Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

It's been, what, three years I've been enjoying Lifetime Premium?

Very much worth it so far. Download speeds have been a dream. Priceless when combined with NMM or Mod Organizer.

Yeah, some websites have gotten very aggressive with their approach against adblockers. Ranging from deceptive tactics like complicated code to circumvent Adblock, through annoying pop-ups or notices to rightout denying access to users.

That's not a good way to do things. A non-negligible amount of new visitors to a website will always be adblock users. If you start off with the above as a first impression, it'll be a poor one indeed.

It's one thing to adapt to the future, it's another to fight it like a stubborn old boar.

As far as I'm concerned, Nexus is taking the right approach. Do not punish newcomers, but reward loyalty. The supporter system already was a good idea, and now this. Oh, also, a website giving a damn about the safety of the ads they serve? Sad that such a thing has become a rarity on the internet.

The closest thing I've seen so far in the past was Google adding a button themselves to their ads to report it. Never felt it was super effective.

Edited by RJ the Shadow

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand your stance. I frankly agree with it.

I think the reason many of us are so hideously Pucking Fissed about the ads is we worry they are the beginning of National Memo Syndrome.

If you have ever cruised the liberal online news service, the National Memo is a reasonable, well thought out news service that strives to be the opposite of Faux News, f*#@s News, etc.

But my God, are those ads hideous. Some auto-sound. There's at least three Sekindo abominations on each and every page. Badly formatted clip windows (for in-clip ads) mean that, half the time, the Late Night Roundup ads cannot be properly played as some of the controls are overlapped by the sidebar ads! Unless you read fast and hit the PageDown key religiously, your Flash *will* crash.

There's script failures, always, ALWAYS involving ad services, just going to the damn bathroom and coming back. And complaining to Harold (the guy that gets the advertising E-mail) is worse than useless.

I do trustyou, and I do like you. But if they are starting to do end-runs around common courtesy, for God's sake, get a new ad service!

I feel bad for using adblocker here. (Your little frowny face and message to please not use them actually works.) The reason I use them is because before, when I didn't, I couldn't download anything or get anything really done due to the ad singing or growing or whatnot. I'll turn it off for a bit, report the ads (or not, depending), and then rethink my decision. I am not the most active user on this site, but this site has still given so much to me that I'd like to help. Thank you for posting this message to us.

A feature like this might just be enough to make me seriously consider whitelisting Nexus in my adblocker.

Really, I always feel guilty when sites I love and visit often start to suffer from lack of ad revenue, but it's always the sites that have popup ads, or autoplaying audio, and I seriously cannot deal with those (Looking at you, Gamebanana).

I'll try out not blocking ads for a while. I would gladly pay for the ad removal, but I'm always kinda strapped for cash.

In response to post #35630357. #35630877, #35634887, #35635242, #35636402, #35637432, #35643577, #35643987, #35644392, #35644557 are all replies on the same post.

DreamingGirl wrote: I would buy premium if I could do so without giving up my personal information. A simple 'pay with paypal' button would suffice. I don't give out my real name and address on the internet unless it is vital. Sorry.
Dark0ne wrote: Feel free to give false info at the start then give proper info (for obvious reasons) to Pay Pal, if you wish. Bearing in mind anyone you buy off online can see your name and address anyway (which is all the site asks for) so really...whether you do or don't, the store always sees your details anyway!
DreamingGirl wrote: But Nexus isn't a 'store' by any stretch of the word. Giving your name and address to Amazon is one thing, as they obviously need it to send you your goods. They also have strict security measures to keep your private data private. But Nexus is a gaming fan site, and have no need for this info. Nothing personal, but I doubt a privately owned site like this would have the same kind of security measures in place.

As long as I can not make this purchase completely anonymously, I unfortunately will not buy it. Just my two cents :)
Dark0ne wrote: As I said, you can enter Mickey Mouse, Disney Land on the site if you care that much. You just, naturally, have to use the correct details on Pay Pal in order for your card to actually work.
MongoMonk wrote: Couldn't you allow for options like the paysafecard which allows you to pay securely and anonymously?
Arthmoor wrote: the concept of buying anything online in total anonymity is quite amusing to me. Can't see any way for that to actually mesh with the reality that the information is there, and more people than you realize know it.
sisgolden wrote: If you use Paypal, the merchant(in this case nexusmods.com) can know your true name and address, and also email address.
If you become anonymous, you must convince nexusmods.com to accept BitCoin.

Also, I don't like to input anything on HTTP website, come on it's 2016, you can get a free certificate from LetsEncrypt.com, so why not use HTTPS on every webpage nexusmods?
Dark0ne wrote: Our store page is SSL encrypted, so that's a non-issue.

We are in the final steps of encrypting the entire site. What was stopping us? A lot of money, considering we use a CDN for all our static content, which also needs to be encrypted to ensure no MITM attacks.
sisgolden wrote: If so, try Cloudflare. It offers free SSL certificate with good cache.
CF is good solution to reduce traffic.
Dark0ne wrote: You don't understand. CloudFlare isn't a CDN in the true sense of what we need it for. It supplements an existing system, but it doesn't replace it. It's more of a proxy, adding another layer above an already existing system. It can save a bit of bandwidth, but it doesn't replace a traditional CDN. It's also against PCI-DSS which we have to comply with for eCommerce.

Similarly, CloudFlare also breaks a lot of the functionality on the site, not least of which is the uploading of files above 100MB in size and IP logging to prevent bad users and spammers.

We know because we used it for a month. It didn't work out.

Can I pay in Bitcoins?

I noticed the report button a while back, and reported an autoplay video ad. I was a bit worried I might have done something wrong, as at that point you had not listed the criteria for reporting them, but ever since I have not seen a single such ad, so I would like to think that my report had something to do with their absence.

Amusingly and/or annoyingly, this particular ad appeared to have been hosted on YouTube, and so loaded a YouTube ad before playing the video ad.

Guest deleted22804049
In response to post #35643667. #35643992, #35644452 are all replies on the same post.

sisgolden wrote: Mr. Snowden says we, internet users, must use adblockers to protect themselves.
I never turn off my adblock. It's not about hate nexusmods.com, it's all about security.

In recent days, advertisements network were hacked, and used it as a "malware-distribution platform".
What will you do if we infect a zero-day virus from Advertisement, downloaded while visiting nexusmods.com? Nothing, right?
Setekh79 wrote: Then if you value the site purchase a supporting membership, it's a one off payment. You can't be all 'take take take'
sisgolden wrote: See my reply above. There's not bitcoin payment at this moment.

I guarantee you that numerous companies and people you know nothing about already know quite a bit of your personal information. It happens. It's inevitable. And, really, the idea of anonymous payment online is rather amusing, as somehow, through some channel, you will always have shown your information through such a purchase.
And, honestly, it's less than $2. If you're really going to take this approach over such a paltry amount, it goes to show that you're in this not for the best interest of the site, but the greatest interest of yourself.

Guest deleted22804049
In response to post #35644707.

SamusKnight2K wrote: So I'm a supporter status member but I do have Adblock enabled (It's just on by default, I never bothered to disable it here since I won't see ads anyway.) on my PC. In order to get the 50% increase shpuld I disable it or does it matter? Also something I've really wondered is even if it's a one-time fee how does having no ads for supporter status help the Nexus? Speaking of support, and I know this sounds like there's no point in it, can there be an option to ENABLE ads for supporter status? Let's say I want to support the Nexus but don't want to do it out of pocket. Maybe I can't afford to. A toggle for ads (Maybe a feature to choose WHICH ads we want to see based on our preferences.) would help a supporter who's already paid before but can't/doesn't want to anymore still support the site. If you want, maybe a 75% increase over the default 50% for enabling ads AND disabling Adblock.

This seriously needs more attention. I would love to be able to do something like this to support the Nexus. While I can't afford to pay on a subscription basis to support the site, I would gladly allow ads to come through in spite of my supporter status if it meant supporting the site in the future.

My issue with most of the ads is they are often bloated, dynamic (flash-based maybe?) and EAT memory. Just turning off adblock for this page immediately raised my RAM usage from 3880 MB to about 4360 MB. 480 MB for one page! I frequently go on a Nexus binge, having as many as 20 or more Nexus tabs open, so I can pick out which mods I'm interested in from the files page, each in a new tab. Then I download them one by one from there. You can imagine how if each page requires an additional 500 MB or so then 20 pages may fill up 8-12 GB of RAM. In doing so, my browser slows down to a crawl. I'd also like to point out that while typing this, new ads keep loading and drastically slow down this simple text box, sometimes locking up the whole page while my browser waits for their connection. These ads are hogs.