Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add *(pun intended) my 2 cents worth *(another one. on a roll here)

I have been using the Nexus for a long time as my ONLY source of mods for gaming since it provides Always there performance in a format that is understandable and a community that is as diverse and at least as interesting as any of the games I mod. So, my point is I was just a member until recently and it was not that I didn't have funds to pay, it was that I had never stopped to think about how much it must cost to keep this site up and going.

I recently purchased the lifetime membership after noticing how much is actually done behind the scenes to keep the pages loading and keep them safe. Just an example for those who haven't noticed it. Did you know that Mods are scanned not by one AV product but a battery of them? Anyone want to guess how much that cost alone can run? I know how much I pay for one client license for my desktop for a good product. I mention that one because that particular line of thought is what got me to purchase. I uploaded my first mod and was checking to see if it was posted correctly and noticed the AV report button. Nuff said.

Think about it for a little bit people and you will come to some conclusions that are obvious. Dark0ne could let us upload mods and NOT pay for all those AV products. Then Average User would have to depend on his Desktop AV product to catch today's latest and greatest exploits, at least the ones who have the latest definitions for their products, the ones who have a product that is not itself Adware, the ones that even have AV products. :| We are only talking about one facet of the Nexus service here and already my lifetime membership has been a Total Value.

Dark0ne,

Maybe one of your staff should think about a series of SHORT articles in monthly or quarterly intervals that goes into some of the overall metrics of the Nexus system, Bandwidth usage, page hits per second, generic stuff I agree but if it was better known and at least in my case better reminded more of us would be "Donating" to the cause because this is what I did. I didn't Purchase ANYTHING! I donated to your work since i consume the service and have for years. When I have a mod user to ask to donate to me i invariably just point out that I don't take donations but would be happy to see them upgrade to a better support level and they ALWAYS do so. If people somehow would remember that the Nexus is a community and not a retail front it would be easier for people to push donate IMHO.

As for the Adblockers they have become nearly as dangerous and obnoxious as the ads themselves. I never used that solution, but it did mean i had to keep my sound turned off *(very bad hearing so sounds carry when I have it on) it is not easy to explain to one of the grandkids that those sounds don't mean anything. :wallbash:

Robert

Hi, Dark0ne. Thank you for the detailed news. I appreciate your site very much (enough that I have purchased two lifetime premium memberships over the years--as my household has two users). Your site has added incalculable value to the games I most like, and I honor you for having made it possible.

In response to post #35630357. #35630877, #35634887, #35635242, #35636402, #35637432 are all replies on the same post.

DreamingGirl wrote: I would buy premium if I could do so without giving up my personal information. A simple 'pay with paypal' button would suffice. I don't give out my real name and address on the internet unless it is vital. Sorry.
Dark0ne wrote: Feel free to give false info at the start then give proper info (for obvious reasons) to Pay Pal, if you wish. Bearing in mind anyone you buy off online can see your name and address anyway (which is all the site asks for) so really...whether you do or don't, the store always sees your details anyway!
DreamingGirl wrote: But Nexus isn't a 'store' by any stretch of the word. Giving your name and address to Amazon is one thing, as they obviously need it to send you your goods. They also have strict security measures to keep your private data private. But Nexus is a gaming fan site, and have no need for this info. Nothing personal, but I doubt a privately owned site like this would have the same kind of security measures in place.

As long as I can not make this purchase completely anonymously, I unfortunately will not buy it. Just my two cents :)
Dark0ne wrote: As I said, you can enter Mickey Mouse, Disney Land on the site if you care that much. You just, naturally, have to use the correct details on Pay Pal in order for your card to actually work.
MongoMonk wrote: Couldn't you allow for options like the paysafecard which allows you to pay securely and anonymously?
Arthmoor wrote: the concept of buying anything online in total anonymity is quite amusing to me. Can't see any way for that to actually mesh with the reality that the information is there, and more people than you realize know it.

If you use Paypal, the merchant(in this case nexusmods.com) can know your true name and address, and also email address.
If you become anonymous, you must convince nexusmods.com to accept BitCoin.

Also, I don't like to input anything on HTTP website, come on it's 2016, you can get a free certificate from LetsEncrypt.com, so why not use HTTPS on every webpage nexusmods? Edited by sisgolden

Mr. Snowden says we, internet users, must use adblockers to protect themselves.

I never turn off my adblock. It's not about hate nexusmods.com, it's all about security.

In recent days, advertisements network were hacked, and used it as a "malware-distribution platform".

What will you do if we infect a zero-day virus from Advertisement, downloaded while visiting nexusmods.com? Nothing, right?