Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

I generally don't mind the ads. However, I don't like it when I have 5 tabs open and the ads alone are consuming more RAM than the some games do. By using this site, I've seen (in my Task Manager) my browser consuming upwards to 2.5 GB of RAM and beyond from the ads. I don't use adblocker though I do use a popup blocker, which kills 50% of the nasty ads. But, when I can instantly load any other site on the internet with my 50 mbps connection, and it feels like Dial Up on this site from the ads, I do sometimes feel like I should be using adblocker. Edited by doomknightofchaos

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want more ad revenue you might check into making sure that your ads conform to whatever standards are being set by the adblockers as nonintrusive. I use adblock plus with nonintrusive ads allowed. I see ads at plenty of sites that I visit when those ads are nonintrusive. The number of ads I see depends on the site. At some sites every page has ads (even with my adblocker enabled) and non of them annoy me. At other sites like Nexus, I see zero ads because all of them are intrusive.

Seems like the subject is quite timely ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35821276

Cryptowall via adverts

"To avoid falling victim to future attacks, people should uninstall potentially unsafe programs such as Flash, Java and Microsoft's Silverlight, that cyber thieves regularly exploit, said the security firms. In addition, they said, users should make sure they keep their web browsers up to date."

Edited by Guest

In response to post #35698967.

alt3rn1ty wrote: Seems like the subject is quite timely ..

Cryptowall via adverts

"To avoid falling victim to future attacks, people should uninstall potentially unsafe programs such as Flash, Java and Microsoft's Silverlight, that cyber thieves regularly exploit, said the security firms. In addition, they said, users should make sure they keep their web browsers up to date."

Yep. I removed Java ages ago, never installed Silverlight, and after getting nailed with an exploit in Flash a few weeks ago, finally decided to ditch that completely too.

I have yet to encounter the supposed "degraded web experience" people claim comes from not having those things installed and my browser is definitely much happier not having that crap around.

Thx, I actually remove the auto-audio/video adds from the Inspect Element on google every single time I load a nexus page. glad you are doing something about em

Thanks a lot for this. Purchasing premium right now is near the bottom of my priorities, but I decided to give a little back by adding this an exception to my adblocker. However, since maybe a couple months back or so, I started getting ads that hijacked my browser and opened new windows. I was baffled, I just had to say ( well, think, really ) "Sorry Nexus, but that's just... no" and re-enabled Adblock again, not knowing where to turn to in order to report this. Glad to see this is being looked into and that I can support this site again :D

In response to post #35698967. #35701342 is also a reply to the same post.

alt3rn1ty wrote: Seems like the subject is quite timely ..

Cryptowall via adverts

Arthmoor wrote: Yep. I removed Java ages ago, never installed Silverlight, and after getting nailed with an exploit in Flash a few weeks ago, finally decided to ditch that completely too.

I have yet to encounter the supposed "degraded web experience" people claim comes from not having those things installed and my browser is definitely much happier not having that crap around.

I would too, but many video sites I go on require it. Don't think I have Java and Silverlight.

So my experience would be degraded since not long ago I got a new computer and was sad when they wouldn't load so I had to download it to work.

Well, I put adblock on because far too many sites have ads that cause the browser to perform poorly, crash due to shoddy code or suffer from security issues, and adblock is FAR too important to my browsing experience for me to consider removing it. You're forcing me to consider my position as a user of this site...

...after consideration I've upgraded to a premium membership. :)