⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #35626632. #35626837 is also a reply to the same post.

gameboytj wrote: I have to admit...
The reason i use adblock is because the ads are making my browser's performance worse over time to the point where the browser stops responding altogether... :(
I want to let the ads play to help the site though but not if it freezes up my firefox...
If they are performance friendly i will turn my adblock off.
ZengarZonvolt wrote: i know right. my firefox sometimes shoots to 500mb ram usage. its practically chrome already but with a much much more stable environment but good lord does it lag my game as well. i usually play games and do youtube at the same time so there is something on the background rather than a silent droning noise.

yeah, i really do want to support the site. Ads in the past on this site didn't affect performance before, maybe a little but that was it, it didnt make it get progressively slower to the point of not working anymore.

In response to post #35626632. #35626837, #35626877 are all replies on the same post.

The reason i use adblock is because the ads are making my browser's performance worse over time to the point where the browser stops responding altogether... :(
I want to let the ads play to help the site though but not if it freezes up my firefox...
ZengarZonvolt wrote: i know right. my firefox sometimes shoots to 500mb ram usage. its practically chrome already but with a much much more stable environment but good lord does it lag my game as well. i usually play games and do youtube at the same time so there is something on the background rather than a silent droning noise.
gameboytj wrote: yeah, i really do want to support the site. Ads in the past on this site didn't affect performance before, maybe a little but that was it, it didnt make it get progressively slower to the point of not working anymore.

The memory leak issue on certain ads is a major one and one we've reported and worked with the ad supplier to root out and fix, for sure.

As soon as I read this, I decided to disable Adblock on Nexus. And almost immediately (perhaps three pages into my current session) I got hit by a very loud auto-play video ad. So I did the appropriate thing and hit the "report this ad" link just under the offending ad. I'm now curious how this new system works as I was never asked what was wrong with the ad, simply thanked for reporting it. Ha, and just as I was about to hit send on this comment, the ads refreshed and another auto-play video ad started. I don't envy you guys your task, but I'll keep Adblock disabled to help out as much as I can.

In response to post #35626372.

elderlord wrote: Strange request I know. But even after having premium is it possible to enable ads on the site for myself? I understand strange request but I have premium for the servers, I am more than happy to view ads and support the site.

was gonna suggest the same thing. Give people the option to turn it on but obviously have it off by default

In response to post #35626632. #35626837, #35626877, #35626962 are all replies on the same post.

gameboytj wrote: yeah, i really do want to support the site. Ads in the past on this site didn't affect performance before, maybe a little but that was it, it didnt make it get progressively slower to the point of not working anymore.
Dark0ne wrote: The memory leak issue on certain ads is a major one and one we've reported and worked with the ad supplier to root out and fix, for sure.

it seems that most ads that uses gif are the one causing the leak because in my experience, site with s#*!-ton of gif ads and video ads causes the spike. youtube have that problem before and maybe still has it because their front page has a large un-intrusive ad, video ad, maybe just here in the philippine side but that causes one heck of a lag for me. considering my pc is a dinosaur dual core to boot.

I'm very glad that you have a sensible approach to adblock and did not decide to disable access to the site for people who use it - after all, this practice is futile. If you make a step towards that, believe me, people will find a way to remove that silly necessity either.

As someone who has been very critical with most of Dark0ne's positions in the past I have to support this decision. I do believe he is trying to find a middle ground. The fact of the matter is simply that expenses are rising almost exponentially and so if everybody paid the 1-2 dollars then add revenue would not even be necessary.

And that brings me to my point: This is the area that should be focused on. How do you get more people to buy memberships? You would think 2 dollars would be an easy sale yet it seems you are unable to turn that around in your favour. This is an issue that needs to be solved.

I think you need help in this area. I don't think you will get the results to want by increasing download speeds. I do think it comes down to "PACKAGING." You are not "selling" it effectively.

Years ago I predicted that Pay-for-Mods would one day become a reality and I have also predicted that in the future the hard costs of running a service like this will become so high that some type of "Membership" will be required to download mods. I can picture a future scenario where in ten years users would get 100 free downloads and then they would have to buy a basic $2 membership. *Again like all predictions they don't happen exactly as predicted but I picture something along this vein.*

Edited by Psijonica

In response to post #35626372. #35627002 is also a reply to the same post.

elderlord wrote: Strange request I know. But even after having premium is it possible to enable ads on the site for myself? I understand strange request but I have premium for the servers, I am more than happy to view ads and support the site.
20rakah wrote: was gonna suggest the same thing. Give people the option to turn it on but obviously have it off by default

I third this. I don't mind ads as long as they fall within the parameters described, especially if it can help you guys out.

Thanks for your hard work.