Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

:excl: Anton, for your own sake please, step back, look at what you're saying, and then maybe apologise to the people you've needlessly offended. Seriously mate, you really, really need to think about what you're saying-cool your temper for starters, and then really have a serious think about what you're actualy saying.

Remember this: the first games were arcade games, from arcade came console, games simply migrated onto PC as a matter of course, the PC isn't the home of gaming mate, no matter how much you want to think it is, consoles have been the heart of gaming since the decline of arcades, and that's very very unlikely to change. Does that make them superior? no, because you can actualy play both pc and console without turning into a purple goat.

I for one am proudly a console gamer, my gaming career started on console back in '99 with an N-64. Console has a long and worthy history, with some of the greatest games of all time being console exclusive, or designed initialy for console then ported over to PC. I have a PC now and am a frequent enough user of it to be described as a PC gamer, but I am at heart a balanced gamer-PC, Xbox(Yes, I have a 360, and no, It's never RROD'ed on me, it's only ever needed repacing once, and that was after it was dropped down three flights of stairs by a clumsy removalist), and occasionaly PS2(yes, I have one and yes it still works after 7 years) Does that make me braindead in your eyes? probably, but I assure you, you're the one who's mistaken here. If you seriously think that console gamers are somehow inferior, then you need to grow up and learn that the world's full of all sorts, and that you won't get far in life with such an agressive, intolerant attitude.

Take this as an intervention Anton, you aren't impressing anyone here, and by trying to wear the PC gaming banner as a cape, you're dragging it through the mud. Learn tolerance or eventualy life and karma will see that you're made to regret your lack of it. Intolerance and inability to listen aren't virtues mate, the sooner you learn that, the better. Peace out. :excl:

I understand what you mean Vinde and I acted like an idiot. And I am sorry to anyone that I offended. Like seriously I acted like a total idiot and I understand what you mean. :facepalm:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you.

Just because I use a console doesn't make me any less a hardcore gamer, likewise, the consoles of today are just as divided between casual and hardcore as pc-admitedly, the Wii is largely casual, but the '360 and PS3 largely cater for haredcore gamers. I would also like to remind you that we consolers are for the most part every bit as disgusted as pc gamers at the simplifications of modern gaming, we don't like simplified games.

You know for once I am starting to see what you mean by that. Upgrading a computer is definatly not something a casual gamer might or may want to do. So until any advancement in hardware stops which will never completely happen http://farm1.static.flickr.com/240/518517326_8662ada85d.jpg see picture for example

PC just won't be too much of a casual gamer platform.

Actually, it kinda technically is getting there, atleast with graphics cards. Not only have there been fewer and fewer truly demanding games, but that videocard manufacturers have been pretty much limited by what is practical with current materials and marketable cooling technologies. For both graphical and core processing, we're hitting the limit of what can be achieved with air cooling alone. Standard data storage access speeds have also been capping out (even as SSD). The only place to go from here is cloud computing, and that's just a mess.

Graphene is your friend

Intel supposedly is experimenting with the stuff at the moment and from what I have heard it is AMAZING. Looks really promising and could revolutionize hardware development.

Graphene costs what? They do need to be making it cheaper to produce if people are going to actually be able buy it.. :ohdear:

Remember this: the first games were arcade games, from arcade came console, games simply migrated onto PC as a matter of course, the PC isn't the home of gaming mate, no matter how much you want to think it is, consoles have been the heart of gaming since the decline of arcades,

This is a bit skew if. The very first video games were created and played on computers. Like this beast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-1

computers>arcades>consoles> Then PCs.

I've only been a pc gamer for about 2 0r 3 years, but I've played good ports and bad ports. I don't think Skyrim will be an issue though. They said they'd still want the modding comunity to mod the living daylights out of it so I'm pretty they'll keep that in mind when designing the game. Dice has said the same thing about Battlefield 3. The only horendous port I think I've personally was COD MW2....wtc. Terrible.

I don't want to play a game which treats me like I'm too stupid to figure out things on my own, and Skyrim seems to be even worse than Oblivion. There are many good PC games out there that don't need to insult their players' intelligence.

YOU are the reason developers are dumbing down, you know...by thinking "it might be dumber, but hopefully not too bad...I'll buy it anyway". We've gone from the sprawling dungeons in Daggerfall to having a freakin' glowing trail on the ground so there's no possibility you might get confused for 5 seconds. Skyrim might have good looks, but underneath there's nothing of substance. To quote one of the designers of Daggerfall:

I disagreed with Todd a lot because Todd and I do not like the same kinds of games. This is not his fault or mine. Whether it is more fun to smash things with a huge axe or coax secrets from obfuscated texts is pure opinion. Whether it's better to play against dice or against an intelligent designer is pure opinion. Frankly, most gamers are more like Todd. It is in Bethesda's best interests to appeal to those gamers, instead of making a game that appeals to me.

The problem with the industry today isn't a lack of intelligent games, it's the fact that a large percentile of the gamers who proclaim to oppose "dumbing-down" still buy these games and ignore the genuinely good games. Games that might get 6-7 score at mainstream sites like IGN and Gamespot because they are "too hard" or "inaccessible".

Forget about Skyrim, start reading a real PC site (like RockPaperShotgun) and you'll discover that there's still a lot of games that don't assume you have an IQ of 80. Games like "The Void", "King's Bounty", "STALKER", "Risen" and "Divinity II" represent genuine progress instead of dumbing down. You need to stop giving your money to the "AAA" companies and support the companies which makes games that might not have the biggest budgets, but are made by people with a genuine love for what they do.

Edited by thesisko

I don't get why anyone with half a brain would even be interested in this game. I don't play games that make me feel like they were designed for idiots, and Oblivion did just that. There are so many good PC games out there that are targeted to intelligent people and I bet half of you complainers haven't even bothered to look at them.

YOU are the reason developers are dumbing down, you know...by thinking "it might be dumber, but hopefully not too bad...I'll buy it anyway". We've gone from the sprawling dungeons in Daggerfall to having a freakin' glowing trail on the ground so there's no possibility you might get confused for 5 seconds. Skyrim might have good looks, but underneath there's nothing of substance. To quote one of the designers of Daggerfall:

I disagreed with Todd a lot because Todd and I do not like the same kinds of games. This is not his fault or mine. Whether it is more fun to smash things with a huge axe or coax secrets from obfuscated texts is pure opinion. Whether it's better to play against dice or against an intelligent designer is pure opinion. Frankly, most gamers are more like Todd. It is in Bethesda's best interests to appeal to those gamers, instead of making a game that appeals to me.

The problem with the industry today isn't a lack of intelligent games, it's the fact that a large percentile of the gamers who proclaim to oppose "dumbing-down" still buy these games and ignore the genuinely good games. Games that might get 6-7 score at mainstream sites like IGN and Gamespot because they are "too hard" or "inaccessible".

Forget about Skyrim, start reading a real PC site (like RockPaperShotgun) and you'll discover that there's still a lot of games that don't assume you have an IQ of 80. Games like "The Void", "King's Bounty", "STALKER", "Risen" and "Divinity II" represent genuine progress instead of dumbing down. You need to stop giving your money to the "AAA" companies and support the companies which makes games that might not have the biggest budgets, but are made by people with a genuine love for what they do.

You made an account, just to post that you don't like Skyrim, and then you insult all of us TES fans, because you think we are not intelligent enough to play other games?

Since when does STALKER require any intelligence? I played it throughly, it's a great game, but seriously, you don't have to be a genius to play it.

You know what, I would love to write down a long list of what I hate about you and your post, but I won't.

A friendly advice, leave us, the people that like fantasy RPG's, art, creativity, alone, and go hide in your hole and play your "intelligent" games.

And next time, don't make it look like you are insulting people that are not as "intelligent" as you are, and stop advertising other sites.

Don't take this post offensive, but defensive.

You made an account, just to post that you don't like Skyrim, and then you insult all of us TES fans, because you think we are not intelligent enough to play other games?

No, I don't think that at all. After all, I bought and played Morrowind&Oblivion myself. I was more pointing out that if someone is disappointed with the design decisions of a game, they should look to other games instead of supporting those decisions.

Since when does STALKER require any intelligence? I played it throughly, it's a great game, but seriously, you don't have to be a genius to play it.

It doesn't, but it assumes the player can at least figure out basic things on their own without popping up prompts with "I have now arrived at X's house. I should look through his desk for clues about Y".

A friendly advice, leave us, the people that like fantasy RPG's, art, creativity, alone, and go hide in your hole and play your "intelligent" games.

And next time, don't make it look like you are insulting people that are not as "intelligent" as you are, and stop advertising other sites.

I'm not saying there aren't 100 valid reasons to like Oblivion or Skyrim - I'm just saying they don't/won't include any gameplay features that requires the player to have patience or willingness to figure things out on their own. And I think there would be more games that do include such features if players who appreciate such things (such as those complaining about Skyrim being dumbed down) would be more open to games that didn't have huge budgets and the latest graphics.

Edited by thesisko

I don't get why anyone with half a brain would even be interested in this game. I don't play games that make me feel like they were designed for idiots, and Oblivion did just that. There are so many good PC games out there that are targeted to intelligent people and I bet half of you complainers haven't even bothered to look at them.

You know what, I would love to write down a long list of what I hate about you and your post, but I won't.

Don't take this post offensive, but defensive.

But isn't he correct? I mean think about how many morrowind players bought Oblivion even though a bloody idiot could do it without walkthroughs.

Why wasn't Morrowind not intelligent? Yes it was! I am pretty sure killing a main quest character and than realizing it is really a smart game! And dungeons. It took me hours just to find the dwemer puzzle box while being gang banged by ghosts I couldn't even kill at my level. Oblivion? I could complete it without even a small peak in the walkthrough. It was made to not be challenging. Of course some quests it was a bit difficult but not nearly as much as in Morrowind. And Skyrim :armscrossed:

But isn't he correct? I mean think about how many morrowind players bought Oblivion even though a bloody idiot could do it without walkthroughs.

Why wasn't Morrowind not intelligent? Yes it was! I am pretty sure killing a main quest character and than realizing it is really a smart game! And dungeons. It took me hours just to find the dwemer puzzle box while being gang banged by ghosts I couldn't even kill at my level. Oblivion? I could complete it without even a small peak in the walkthrough. It was made to not be challenging. Of course some quests it was a bit difficult but not nearly as much as in Morrowind. And Skyrim :armscrossed:

He is indeed correct. But his post made it look offensive.

Maybe it's just me, but saying that anyone with half a brain should not play the game sounds offensive.

But games are meant to be fun not challenging, I personally loved the atmosphere in Morrowind, but the combat was just stupid. But indeed the quests were more complicated, and required some thinking.

Oblivion had nice enviroments, but the atmosphere from Morrowind was gone, but the combat system was a lot better and more fun. The quests were more straightforward, but the combat system made up for it.

Still, if the guy doesn't like Skyrim, he shouldn't shout it out in a Skyrim forum.