Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

But games are meant to be fun not challenging,

Sometimes those two go hand in hand with each other, a game which never presents you with any real challenge is a game that will become stale rather quickly.Morrowind's combat may have been simpler, but it was also much more difficult than Oblivion's.And it wasn't the type of the difficult that you got from turning the the difficulty slider all the way up in Oblivion, since all that would do is make it impossible to win against anything without gulping down large amounts of potions.No, it was the type of a difficult which was hard and frustrating at first, but would become easier with enough patience and perseverance.

Edited by Corakus

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is indeed correct. But his post made it look offensive. Maybe it's just me, but saying that anyone with half a brain should not play the game sounds offensive.

You're right, and I apologize. I really didn't mean that and I've reworded my post.

But games are meant to be fun not challenging, I personally loved the atmosphere in Morrowind, but the combat was just stupid. But indeed the quests were more complicated, and required some thinking.

Oblivion had nice enviroments, but the atmosphere from Morrowind was gone, but the combat system was a lot better and more fun. The quests were more straightforward, but the combat system made up for it.

Fun is subjective and many find challenge fun...but I would at least expect enough challenge to make it necessary to make use of the different abilities and spells the game offers. They are pretty redundant if you can mindlessly hack your way through everything anyway. As long as the game is thoughtfully designed, difficulty settings can make the game enjoyable for everyone challenge-wise. On the other hand, if the game is lazily designed, increasing difficulty settings which only inflate hitpoints and damage will probably only make it more boring.

Would Morrowind have been worse if there was an optional mode with quest-compass and glowing trails? No, because at its core it was designed to be played without these aids. I wish more developers would design with ambition and offer optional aids and help for those who need it, rather than remove any and all features that might cause frustration for the least patient of gamers.

I think that the "dumbing-down" will be somewhat limited and that we PC gamers will still get a few perks (oh...like I don't know...mods!) and that the game will be awesome. I mean, shucks, Bethesda still thinks the PC gamers are important, otherwise they would have just chucked out the mod tools. However, while it certainly isn't justified to cry "Bloody murder!", I still don't like the general trend of orienting the specs of the game on what the console can do.

I think that the "dumbing-down" will be somewhat limited and that we PC gamers will still get a few perks (oh...like I don't know...mods!) and that the game will be awesome. I mean, shucks, Bethesda still thinks the PC gamers are important, otherwise they would have just chucked out the mod tools. However, while it certainly isn't justified to cry "Bloody murder!", I still don't like the general trend of orienting the specs of the game on what the console can do.

It doesn't really have anything to do with consoles directly. Plenty of console fans were upset about the dumbing down of Splinter Cell and Dragon Age for instance.

It's the game design philosophy that everything must always be completely obvious and the player (which is assumed to have no patience or willingness to experiment) must never get stuck or frustrated or risk making a wrong choice that is responsible for dumbing games down.

Eh, I wanted to take part in this discussion, but my Magic 2012 just finished downloading on Steam, so I'll make it short. I might even join in later tonight.

All I've got to say is that come 11-11-11, I'll be happily playing Skyrim. Hell, it looks a lot more promising than even Oblivion had and it's quite obvious it's going to be way more complex than aforementioned. I dunno what you're smoking, but if it makes you look for problems with every game that comes out, I'll give it a skip, thanks.

I don't care if the game is ported or not, I will enjoy it on a PC when it comes out. I just hope that the pc wouldn't have the same graphics as x box just because they had to optimized for x box hardware.

I don't care if the game is ported or not, I will enjoy it on a PC when it comes out. I just hope that the pc wouldn't have the same graphics as x box just because they had to optimized for x box hardware.

If you take a gander here, it has been confirmed that the PC version will ship with HD textures. :thumbsup:

Edited by IndorilTheGreat

He is indeed correct. But his post made it look offensive. Maybe it's just me, but saying that anyone with half a brain should not play the game sounds offensive.

You're right, and I apologize. I really didn't mean that and I've reworded my post.

But games are meant to be fun not challenging, I personally loved the atmosphere in Morrowind, but the combat was just stupid. But indeed the quests were more complicated, and required some thinking.

Oblivion had nice enviroments, but the atmosphere from Morrowind was gone, but the combat system was a lot better and more fun. The quests were more straightforward, but the combat system made up for it.

Fun is subjective and many find challenge fun...but I would at least expect enough challenge to make it necessary to make use of the different abilities and spells the game offers. They are pretty redundant if you can mindlessly hack your way through everything anyway. As long as the game is thoughtfully designed, difficulty settings can make the game enjoyable for everyone challenge-wise. On the other hand, if the game is lazily designed, increasing difficulty settings which only inflate hitpoints and damage will probably only make it more boring.

Would Morrowind have been worse if there was an optional mode with quest-compass and glowing trails? No, because at its core it was designed to be played without these aids. I wish more developers would design with ambition and offer optional aids and help for those who need it, rather than remove any and all features that might cause frustration for the least patient of gamers.

Well, thank you, I appreciate your apologize, and I am sorry too, I should have been nicer to a new guy, I seriously overreacted.

Still, I hope you will enjoy your time on the nexus.

And I too agree with challenge is fun, but only in some cases.

Truth is, without any challenge, there would be no fun, but with too much, it's the same.

And I have to agree with your other posts aswell, games today are being dumbed down for the younger audiences, but some are still true to the old formula, like the newly released PC exclusive The Witcher 2.

Overall, what we can hope for is that Skyrim appeals to as many people as possible, and that it will be fun, yet challenging to play it.

And with the help of mods, we will fix the bugs, and game flaws that keep the game from being a masterpiece.

I really look forward to skyrim. It has that heroic nord feel to it, and dragonslaying? Who could ask for a better game than one that lets you slay monstrous beasts instead some common human? I am really cheering for skyrim, it may be similar to oblivion in some ways or it may not, but it looks really good, especially the part about dragon slaying. I have always wanted to slay dragons in TES.

And with the help of mods, we will fix the bugs, and game flaws that keep the game from being a masterpiece.

This one statement sums it up for me regarding Bethesda games.

You can buy the console and play it how Bethesda designed it OR you can buy the PC version and either grab mods other people have made or make mods yourself in order to make the game closer to your view of a masterpiece.

I can only hope Bethesda becomes so successful that other game companies take note and become envious of how they design their games and cater to their community as well as gain valuable feedback from the community.

Can you imagine just how valuable sites like the Nexus are to companies like Bethesda who can quickly determine which modifications are extremely popular or highly regarded in order to improve their next game? Whether modders/players know it or not, they are helping to shape the games of tomorrow not only by what they invest their hard-earned money on but also what modifications are being made and shared.

LHammonds