Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

Gawd, how the hell can a UI be consolized? Because it's big? That certainly makes a lot of sense.

"Hey guys, that games gonna suck because the UI is big."

The game so far looks like everything Oblivion was supposed to be and more.

Here's a pretty good example.

Took WAY to long just to quit the game. Also, to answer your question better a "consolised" UI would be one that has overly large text, only fits about 5 items on a screen, multiple categories that could be condensed into fewer categories, and generally uses a "list" instead of a grid.

I don't know where anyone is getting the idea they'll go against what they've done in every TES game where there's an exit option in the options listed from escape.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gawd, how the hell can a UI be consolized? Because it's big? That certainly makes a lot of sense.

Took WAY to long just to quit the game. Also, to answer your question better a "consolised" UI would be one that has overly large text, only fits about 5 items on a screen, multiple categories that could be condensed into fewer categories, and generally uses a "list" instead of a grid.

For Bethesdas games open the console and type qqq and hit enter, it will shut down instantly.

And even though the combat might be excellent, there may be decent content etc, the UI is still going to ruin your enjoyment because you can't exit faster and need to scroll a little bit to see all the equipment? You would think for any rational person that wouldn't even be factored in his/her enjoyment of the game.

"Oi, Frank, have you seen how good the combat in game X is?"

*Frank comes over to watch*

"Yes, it looks pretty coo- what?! You have to scroll through the equipment screen?! Blam this piece of crap!"

Edited by Halororor

And even though the combat might be excellent, there may be decent content etc, the UI is still going to ruin your enjoyment because you can't exit faster and need to scroll a little bit to see all the equipment? You would think for any rational person that wouldn't even be factored in his/her enjoyment of the game.

"Oi, Frank, have you seen how good the combat in game X is?"

*Frank comes over to watch*

"Yes, it looks pretty coo- what?! You have to scroll through the equipment screen?! Blam this piece of crap!"

I wouldn't judge the entire game off of it. The UI for me is usually just a minor gripe. Sure, it's irritating wrestling with it every time I go to a shop and spend 5 minutes clicking "Are you sure you want to sell X?, but it makes me appreciate the bits when I don't have to be a menu more. Unless it's one of those games that lag in the menu because they jammed so many shiny graphics into it.

For all the people screaming at PC players to stop whining, I must say to you that consoles are running on 6 year old hardware which limits the capabilities greatly. Yes, Skyrim will be amazing. Yes, it will look decent. But no, it will not live up to its true potential for the simple fact that while developers have became more adept at maximizing the console's potential, it will never be on par with the current gen of PC hardware. Nobody is ripping on the console players. They are just ripping the fact that Bethesda is doing it backwards. Bad Company 3, for example, has been designed specifically for the PC hardware and scaled down to accompany the console's hardware. This is the way that all developers should produce games. Obviously there are free market principles at play here, and as the developers know, PC gamers will buy Skyrim whether or not it was designed for the PC and then scaled down to the consoles. Why would a developer spend the extra time and money to implement PC specific attributes when the PC arena will be its smallest market share?

My issue is Craig's word choice: "Not that bad". Okay, so does that mean it's slightly bad, just not as bad as bad can be? Honestly, that was an incredible moronic choice of words. It's fairly obvious that the PC has been their tertiary platform, but to say it's "Not that bad" in a way rubs salt in the open wounds of PC gamers that know full well that Skyrim will not be up to current gen's standards.

One can only hope for the day that next gen consoles are released. Then we will see some amazing advancement in the gaming industry. Right now, the industry is just treading water and squeezing as much as they can out of 6 year old hardware. Bad Company 3 has at least raised the bar.

Edited by ajrunke

For all the people screaming at PC players to stop whining, I must say to you that consoles are running on 6 year old hardware which limits the capabilities greatly. Yes, Skyrim will be amazing. Yes, it will look decent. But no, it will not live up to its true potential for the simple fact that while developers have became more adept at maximizing the console's potential, it will never be on par with the current gen of PC hardware. Nobody is ripping on the console players. They are just ripping the fact that Bethesda is doing it backwards. Bad Company 3, for example, has been designed specifically for the PC hardware and scaled down to accompany the console's hardware. This is the way that all developers should produce games. Obviously there are free market principles at play here, and as the developers know, PC gamers will buy Skyrim whether or not it was designed for the PC and then scaled down to the consoles. Why would a developer spend the extra time and money to implement PC specific attributes when the PC arena will be its smallest market share?

My issue is Craig's word choice: "Not that bad". Okay, so does that mean it's slightly bad, just not as bad as bad can be? Honestly, that was an incredible moronic choice of words. It's fairly obvious that the PC has been their tertiary platform, but to say it's "Not that bad" in a way rubs salt in the open wounds of PC gamers that know full well that Skyrim will not be up to current gen's standards.

One can only hope for the day that next gen consoles are released. Then we will see some amazing advancement in the gaming industry. Right now, the industry is just treading water and squeezing as much as they can out of 6 year old hardware. Bad Company 3 has at least raised the bar.

But you have to admit, it is a LOT easier to optimize the game for those 6 year old hardware, because they are the same in every console.

And the PC has almost an unlimited number of hardware combinations.

But what you say is true, and still, I think that they use the console market to make money, and the PC market as their "main" customers, not in quantity, but in quality

Maybe we won't buy as much as the console guys, but hey, we already gave them some great ideas through mods that they used in Skyrim.

Basically I see myself, and the whole PC community, as co-game developers.

http://kotaku.com/5675559/the-future-of-pc-gaming-according-to-the-lead-creator-of-bioshock?skyline=true&s=i

Kind of relevant to the top if anyone hasn't already read this. I think he is pretty much spot on of his analysis.

People that want to be enlightened should read this.

It says the truth, and the truth only.

The future game developers will always start on PC, and either end on PC or console or both.

No matter what, it is impossible for PC gaming to die.

As stated in my previous post, PC community = future game developers, and the future of gaming.

The 'can't quit you' thing has nothing to do with the consoles, that was just really really stupid design from the devs.