Formula 1

Dark0ne

So any F1 followers on the Nexus at the moment? After whiling away 4 hours of my evening this evening watching what I think I can safely say was one of the worst and best races I've ever seen together (25 laps of rain drenched, safety car terribleness then 45 laps of sure awesomeness) I'm feeling slightly pumped. Especially as Button won and Vettel made a big mistake that cost him the win on the last lap...I feel slightly better after watching an awesome race in Monaco only for Vettel to luck out 10 laps from the finish with a red flag and being able to change his train wrecked tyres without having to pit. Vettel sure is a lucky German.

So any F1 followers?

On a side-note: Canada :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdu7xMnn1RY&feature=player_embedded

Love the token dive to the right and the steward that runs along afterwards and kicks the debris off the track rather than picking it up. Similarly love how no steward comes to the guy's rescue, and he didn't even get the piece of debris he was going for! Pants were soiled.

The first one was probably just trying to dodge him. You know when you're walking outside alone and someone walks the opposite way you are and you're both dodging the same way.

But the 2nd one was obviously trying to hit him :P

My whole life I've been trying to figure out why ppl watch racing because I find it more boring than soccer :ohdear: Is it an old-people hobby? People who can't drive don't watch it? Ahh, all the wasted evenings not watching TV because my dad was...

So I'm not a follower and I'll never read this thread again. :mellow:

Bai.

Edited by Nysba

I don't really follow racing that much. I just don't really see the allure of watching cars drive around in circles for hours.

What I do find exciting, however, is the speeds that F1 cars can go. I mean, come on; if a car can produce enough down-force to drive perpendicular to the ground (i.e. on a wall - or even upside down) for extended periods of time, then that is pretty freakin' awesome! :woot:

There should totally be an extreme version of F1 racing... like TrackMania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNQBvtN6cns

Of course, I have a feeling that the mortality rate would be a tad high... :whistling:

Edited by IndorilTheGreat

Thank's for posting this Dark0ne, I've been into cars and racing since I can remember, just finished recovering from watching Le Mans live, and just finished watching the Canadian GP. http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8260501

Me? specificaly I'm not actualy dedicated fan of Formula one, Im actualy more into Moto GP and GT Endurance, but I like it, and I watched Canada after I'd finished recovering from two very late nights. Frankly it's the best racing I've seen all season, Jenson Button's performance was stellar-probably the best drive I've seen from him, but for me the highlight was seeing THAT Mercedes come in fourth. Nonetheless I will say that the sport needs some changes, for me, my favorite era was the late '80s through till about 2005, when the cars were truly epicly fast, looked stunning, and could blow the doors off any other race car, let alone any other car. Nowadsays it's just too tame and too rulebound, hell, this is what it would look like if OSHA designed a motorsport, they'll probably mandate indictators, airbags, and speed limits by next year! gutless wimps...

The thing Canada highlighted for me was A how big the gap between Have and Have-Not is(Button going to 21st, getting back to 1st through carspeed, no matter what you say he isn't all that good a driver, by raw talent atleast he's nothing VS Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, or Kubica) meaning we need to work towards cheaper cars or more factory involvment(or do what we do at Le Mans which is let people buy a premade chassis if they can't afford to make their own) asnd the simply ridiculous amount of stewardship. Come on, really? a drive through penalty simply for having "the wrong tyres"? In Canada we saw 11 diferent "matters under investigation" Next thing these fools will want is a buslane, traffic lights, and turn-signals!

It's GP bloody racing, why are you so surprised by that racers want to race? let them race, they know the boundaries of safety far better than some white haired legal expert, and should be allowed to, you know, RACE THE GOD DAMN CAR!!!!

Still, for me the weekend highlight was Colin Edwards at the British Moto-GP. Nine days ago Edwards, a 37 year old Texan who's never had an aweful lot of success, but is a very good rider, broke his collarbone in five places and detaached some major muscles from his ribs. Last night he raced, and secured third place, in the rain and freezing cold, on a day when even staying on the bike is a world championship winning effort. Edwards said later that he only qualified in 8th "because I'm a badass" and stated that "I was ready to go home on monday, then on saturday I woke up feeling good and thought, HEY! LETS GO RACE MOTORBIKES!" Despite the brave words, he looked about ready to faint standing on the podium, but still managed to grin and look indomitable. Casey Stoner may have won by a long margin, but Colin Edward's podium feels like a far more major achievment,

RACERS. GUNNA. RACE.

Button put in one of the best performances of any driver for many years, 6 pit stops and came from last to win. To finally catch and pass the quicker Red Bull was a drive even Senna would have been proud of. As for that marshal, all he needed was a pair of clown boots to complete to picture. Why wasn't another marshal placed on the bend further up to signal when it was safe to clear the debris?

@Dark0ne Be sure to watch the Senna movie, it really is very good.

I lost interest in NASCAR when they quit using real cars. The original NASCAR used the same car that you could buy at a dealer - with modifications. the Present NASCAR the cars are all built from tubular steel and a plastic fake body is put over it. Even the headlights are fake. If a driver drives a Ford, he can remove the Ford fake plastic body and drive the exact same car with a Chrysler fake plastic body in the next race. But the fans identify with 'their' brand of car. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

At least F1 doesn't pretend their cars are the same ones normal people drive.

I lost interest in NASCAR when they quit using real cars. The original NASCAR used the same car that you could buy at a dealer - with modifications. the Present NASCAR the cars are all built from tubular steel and a plastic fake body is put over it. Even the headlights are fake. If a driver drives a Ford, he can remove the Ford fake plastic body and drive the exact same car with a Chrysler fake plastic body in the next race. But the fans identify with 'their' brand of car. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/ohgeez-1.gif

I dunno, modern cars that you get at the dealership don't strike me as being good for racing, really. But that's my own assumption that a car is useless for doing what it's advertised for (Hello, new Jeeps and SUVs..).

That said, I'd love to see a pimped-out Ford Pinto drag racing.

I dunno, modern cars that you get at the dealership don't strike me as being good for racing, really. But that's my own assumption that a car is useless for doing what it's advertised for (Hello, new Jeeps and SUVs..).

That said, I'd love to see a pimped-out Ford Pinto drag racing.

I can honestly say I've seen a Pinto drag racing, all I can say it was funny to see the guy win it at the end of the night.