Valve: why do I even bother.

Vindekarr

I bougth DNF yesterday morning for PC.

When I unpacked it it revealed itself as a STEAM game, ohh well I thought, surely it can't be worse than the other STEAM games I own, all of which have given me great misery either through download-install errors beyond my control, or spam, or in some cases STEAM's charming little "anti-cheat system" banning me for no apparent reason.

I was wrong, like every other STEAM game, it took 5 hours to download, not including having to wait 14 hours simply because the infernal device wouldn't let me use a server. Any server. "Server is unavailable and or buys, please try again"

Then I found out that it had installed it onto the backup, secondary HDD of my PC which isn't properly connected, and I have to re-install. I re installed it and found the download broke about half way through so I had to re-install it again. After a third re-install due to data corrupting, I found the game CTDs on startup anyway.

Why do I even bother? moreover why do developers insist on using the service? I could have finished the game five times in the time it's taken me to even get it to the point of realising it's a pile of rubbish. It's not even my fault, every time I try to download, it downloads broken data that's unusable. And I don't want this to fill up with STEAM fanatics worshipping the blasted thing either, because there is simply nothing to worship.

From deleting my account details and at times refusing to let me even access my account, to completely refusing to let me play ANYTHING STEAM when it has a patch lined up for a certain game. And if you tell it you don't want patches, it still downloads them anyway. To make matters worse, it insists on making me use a server seemingly on Jupiter, because my download speeds drop for about 600 kb/s to 24 kb/s whenever I use their miserable service. WHy the hell do people even want STEAM anyway? let alone worship it? it causes me more trouble eveery month than every other appliance and program I own combined, and that isn't an exageration.

Because I haven't had a single problem with it since 2004 and the release of HL2 when it was justifiably a steaming pile of crap. Since about 2006 I've had nothing but praise for it.

On the matter of download speeds; ensure you've setup your location properly in your profile as the client finds the closest servers based on your location settings. Similarly, if you do have it set up right, try changing your location to somewhere else. For example UK users actually get better service if they say they're from Ireland as the pipes are less saturated. Have fun! ;)

Ok, either you're overexagerating something fierce, or just downright lying. I've had absolutely no problems with Steam since I started using it in 2008, and I live in a country where internet is still considered the most extreme luxury. I should have every reason to hate it, yet I don't. Why? Because despite the fact that I've got internet that sucks tits, Steam has brought me nothing but love for the platform.

Maybe you should select another server to download from. If you're getting broken downloads, maybe you should have your line checked. The only way it can install the game onto your backup, secondary HDD is if you were stupid enough to install Steam on the secondary HDD. Steam installs all its games in the Steam folder. All these 'issues' are problems on your end. It's not Steam's fault you can't figure out how to use the service properly.

Also,

And I don't want this to fill up with STEAM fanatics worshipping the blasted thing either, because there is simply nothing to worship.

Nothing to worship? It should rather be you don't want this to fill up with people who are realistic or speaking the truth, because you refuse to see anything good in the service. Seriously, if people in 3rd world countries love the platform, don't you think maybe the problem lies with you?

Have you tried other servers? mine defaults to London but I switch sometimes when that one isn't going quick enough.

That's a good idea, but I didn't realise you could do that-simple change of location would do it?

Have you tried other servers? mine defaults to London but I switch sometimes when that one isn't going quick enough.

That's a good idea, but I didn't realise you could do that-simple change of location would do it?

Click Steam, then Settings, then the Downloads+Cloud tab. You can select different servers from there, Steam will need to be restarted before it takes effect. It's worth checking the connection type is correct while you're in there.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3036/steamg.jpg

It's sad to see that many people are disliking Steam for the same reasons you've exposed in your thread. In my case, I have never had any problems whatsoever with Steam games, and my downloading speeds are usually around 3 MB/s. Instead of blaming Steam, try to think outside the box and see that there are a lot more factors contributing to your problem. Not trying to sound like a zealot or something, but the Steam platform is really quite good! Portability, seamless integration with an increasing ammount of games, and heck... Mid Week Madness. You can get awesome deals for a lot of games :thumbsup: Edited by Aellyth

Mid Week Madness. You can get awesome deals for a lot of games :thumbsup:

Not only mid-week madness, but weekend deals, daily deals, publisher weeks, horror weekend, summer specials...the list goes on and on. Honestly, Steam is worth it for the specials alone. I've got about 20 Steam games that I've bought and have no idea when I'm going to have time to download or play, yet I just keep buying. :P Like the entire FEAR pack for only $9.99 which I bought on Thursday, and last night the L4D2 special for $7. :P I don't even want to know what's coming tonight, because I'm probably going to end up buying it.

This pretty much sums up my predicament:

http://i.imgur.com/NZPpY.jpg

lol awesome picture :P

Mine defaults to Chicago (live 2 hours north from it), but sometimes the download speed is horrible...or it downloads then stops. Maybe I'll switch it to a different server sometime.

Other than that, Steam works great for me and has since the good old days of sheesh 2004 I think.