[WIPz] 3ds Max Nif plugin for 2012/11 with 32/64-bit

LHammonds

I'm not even sure if I will get a single working plugin but I am in the process of attempting to build updated versions of the existing NifTools plugins...not in terms of functionality but just to work with the newer versions of 3ds Max.

The 1st version I am tackling is 2012 32-bit. I am documenting the technical garbage on the NifTools Forums but there is no need to visit there unless you are just into that kinda stuff but please don't post there unless you are helping with the compilation issues or trying to build your own.

As I start to get a working version of this plugin (nowhere near that point yet), I would like to request volunteers that have 2012 32-bit installed and knows how to use it or has models they can run through the import and export to see if they work. Do we have any members here that fit this profile?

I'd recommend at least the following checklist items to test the functionality of the plugin (features noted here):

Import

• Weapon (with dynamic collision)
  • Rock or furniture (with static collision)
  • Armor (with rigging)
  • Animation Idle (.kf)
  • Body (skin deform)

Export

• Weapon (with dynamic collision)
  • Rock or furniture (with static collision)
  • Armor (with rigging)
  • Animation Idle (.kf)
  • Body (skin deform)

Feel free to suggest other items that should be tested. I'm not familiar with 3ds Max or how the plugin worked in earlier versions.

Mirrored Topic: TES Alliance, CanadianIce, Bethsoft Forums

Thanks Ghogiel. As soon as I get a compiled plugin, I'll send it your way to see how it performs.

Due to the amount of changes in the SDK and the C++ compiler, it seems like it will be a challenge to get it working exactly like it did in earlier versions of Max (without actual programmer intervention)

• 1 month later...

Yes as soon as its possible Id like to help out. I have 2012 64 bit installed now, but can get 32 bit if needed.

Side note: Currently for modding I'm using Max 2011 - 64bit and the (.nif) import / export works perfectly. If I remember right the .exe installer ends at 2009, but you can download the the x64 2011 files by itself. The problem is it only contains the .dll, and .dlu files. I ended up having to pull the .cfg file from the 2009 install, and then used the .dll, and .dlu from the 2011 install to get everything to work. I'm not sure if something on the same lines could be done to at lease get the 2012 version (sort of working)...

I think there is an INI file you need to grab as well. I never got that scenario to work. Since max 2012 came out, it was such a major improvement over the last 2 versions that I figured it was time the plugin got some love to get a proper version out.

The whole reason I never got the 2012 version was because there's no plugin for it. I usually find that 32 bits are more stable(1 eg the garment maker always screws up on my 64 bit 2011 version) but both the 32 and the 64 are packaged together on the Autodesk website so I wouldn't mind testing both if you get it figured out. Goodluck to you and thanks for taking this up. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...