[WIPz] 3ds Max Nif plugin for 2012/11 with 32/64-bit

LHammonds

• 2 weeks later...

The Max exporter seems to have issues where it exports with extra vertex's.

So a body with 3471 vertex's will export with 3552 (No idea where its getting the extras)

If I directly export as a .3ds its fine however with 3471 verts.

It semms that it does some strange vert count for different things too.

not sure the issue.

The Max exporter seems to have issues where it exports with extra vertex's.

So a body with 3471 vertex's will export with 3552 (No idea where its getting the extras)

If I directly export as a .3ds its fine however with 3471 verts.

It semms that it does some strange vert count for different things too.

not sure the issue.

Your vertex count in max will not take into account hard edges, at conversion to a nif vertices are duplicated at all those edges. also UV splits might duplicate verts as well.

Verts always should remain a constant. If they dont you will get unexpected results.

I can take the same file move some verts around (No welding etc) and the vert count changes after export.

This makes it so that the sliders in the game cause an issue with a body shape for example because the vert count has changed.

If I export in any other format other then .nif then the vert count is the right count and not some random number.

Verts always should remain a constant. If they dont you will get unexpected results.

I can take the same file move some verts around (No welding etc) and the vert count changes after export.

This makes it so that the sliders in the game cause an issue with a body shape for example because the vert count has changed.

If I export in any other format other then .nif then the vert count is the right count and not some random number.

comparing a proprietary game asset format to obj and the way it stores information is a bad comparison. Your count in max is not exactly how nifs store information. In max all the count is is the actual vertex count, in nifs, it is the vertext count plus extra vertices that are created from smoothing groups and UV edge splits.

all smoothing groups will be split, as in game formats vertices cannot contain more than 1 set of normals, so duplicated verts are made to store those normals. Now what might not be essential function but extra vertices on the mesh are created at UV seams. I don't know whether they are needed by anything other than the UV, But count the total verts on a smooth meshes(so there are no hard edg splits) UV and that is the number of verts. you can try running them through the PyFFI toaster to see if it removes anything. I have done so in the past and my custom asset on the occasion sometimes had a few extra verts.

basically if you count the number of extra edge verts in the UV, that is the number that gets added onto of your vert count, they are UV vertices. It is not some random number.

Edited by Ghogiel

Well Ghogiel,

I have to put my Heel in my mouth because I found out what the issue was.

Apparently im a complete goon and I exported from max with weld at 0.0100. This was welding verts that were close and causing the numbers to be different.

Screenshot shows i changed it to 0.0 for weld and everything works fine:

http://216.105.128.240/Cherry/Skyrim/ExportingOptionsMax2011.JPG

Apparently it defaults to 0.0100 weld and it causes it to weld verts hence changing the vert count.

*smacks her forehead*

Well at least I finally figured it out hehe.

Hugs to you Ghogiel for being patient with me.

I don't really understand what you are doing.

If I export a smooth shaded 8 sided cylinder, UV islands are laid out so the trunk is cylinder unwrapped, and the the 2 end caps are also separate islands. 8 verts per cap, 8 verts at both the top and bottom of cylinder tube bit, then 2 more verts for the seam down the side. Total 34 verts.

exported as a nif I get as expected 34 verts.

If I export the same mesh as an obj and import it into nifskope, I still get 34 verts.

Max vert count would be 16, but that is inaccurate as it doesn't count UV verts and edge splits like game formats do.

edit: DOH! haha. fair play. :thumbsup:

And it seems for me that the exporter actually resets the export dialogue every time. It never used to do so and the previous versions keep last used settings. It's quite irksome

Edited by Ghogiel