Male or Female PC? How come?

Kanori24

What?! Seriously? First time I hear about this, and can't really understand it like... who would buy freaking preset? Is that even true?...

And I can't really comment on turning FO or TES into doll house, since most guys I know enjoy quests, levelling, loot and the rest of RPG stuff. Customization comes as minor bonus, nothing to build their games around.

Yep, true.

I've removed the presets when they tried uploading them here (despite the originals being here already) and the thief has been banned multiple times under new accounts. He's a scumbag pure and simple.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play as a variety of races and both genders. It just kind of depends on what I feel like doing. My first character was an Argonian everthing, mage, theif, warrior, scout. He was awesome to play and had a huge collection of weapons and a party at his house (Lakeview Manor) with custom followers all the time until I blew up his save game with sloppy mod management. Next I did a male Breton scout, then made him a sister also a scout. Made a Kahjiit knight/tank, an Argonian mage, both of which were male. Honestly its kind of a coin toss almost for me. Right now I'm doing my first Nord playthrough and he's a vampire in Harkon's court. I have a Dunmer Spellsword (female), and a Breton knight (female). So yeah I'm totally random in my choice of gender for my PCs. The females are better looking for sure but I cant play as a female all the time, plus I want to get married and only my male characters get married.

P.S. How do I save my PCs racemenu settings into a preset to load for later? I have no idea....

I play both genders. I like to see if the game play changes based on which pokey-out bits my character has.

And to me, it does seem that most games tend to favor male characters. The perk systems or player advancement schemes seem to be based on mostly male stereotypes. The dialog seems to be stereotypically male too, while the dialog for female characters seems to be almost condescending. So playing female characters have cost me a couple of keyboards and ... mouses? mice? meeses? ... ah, pointing devices.

Edited by FriedGeoduck

I didn't say females are less interested in a strategical gameplay because that type of thiking was harder, or that females don't like to think. They like puzzle games f. e, independent of difficulity. I meant that this kind of thinking results in a more slow-paced, less active gameplay, you have to plan forward, calculate stuff (not always literally), manage things etc. (even if it is easy), and i simply don't enjoy doing that so much. You have to do that in a better rpg of course too, but it just a part of it and adds to it, and blends into ther otherwise full of action and very fast and active gameplay. But again, that is just why i like strategies less (i don't avoid them, just not my favourite genre), and i assume (maybe incorrectly) that other females might have that opinion too.

Also about the achievement example you said: "conquering half of the world" might be a less tempting achievement for a female.

About violence, females only dislike it when a game is centered around it and has nothing else to show. "Sexist males with guns", i just hate the sexist part. i personally have nothing against a well done and interesting male protagonist who likes to shoot stuff, and so are most females i know. The problem is when these protegonists are brainless hulks who drool at boobs, and many game devs are under the impression that this is what the target audience needs in action oriented games. Or, actually, just boobs, nowadays. I am sure there is gonna be a game in the near future, with super HD graphics, that is going to have some anime faced slutty giant boobed doll, and the only gamplay action will be dressing her up into various bikini armors and a big red button that makes her boobies bounce when you push it.

I see some misconceptions here, you're trying to pose min-maxer type as main gameplay driver for strategies, which is not. As I have stated before, those games are mostly very flexible, it's purely your choice if you want to raise up the difficulty and challenge AI at your limits, or you can roleplay, setup a game followed by your vision and enjoy it at your hearts content, which is very viable too. I personally prefer healthy mix of both, and "conquering the world" is MY personal goal/fun part. You can choose any victory type you want, or play endless sandbox if you like. Nothing is written in stone really.

It's more and more feels like this genre is just an outcast because of stereotypes than anything else. As I said before, most guys don't have any problems enjoying "games for girls", it's seems hard thing to overcome for females...

Considering males and violence, I pretty much agree with all you say. Most famous male action protagonists are basically very stereotypical, it's hard to find decent personality among them and you made a good point there about future of HD graphics and stuff. I don't know if you have seen Oculus VR parody TV spot, which is incredibly funny and nails exactly all you said. In case you didn't, sorry, I can't post it, it's way too dirty. :tongue:

Yup, and one of the moderators tried to take it down, because stealing and/or selling bethesda mods is very much illegal, but the guy was so stubborn about it, he kept on moving from one site to another when they made his stolen files removed form a server. He even trash talked the moderator in email, and spammed her address with junkmail. All this for a racemenu preset. With all that effort he could have made a dlc sized boob mod. All the facepalm memes on the internet wouldn't be enough to express the patheticness of that guy. And i bet he isn't the only one.

Also i bet those shiny preset characters are all still level 1 and only left the starter dungeon to find a nice place for screenshotting, i feel sorry for them :smile:

Me, i really enjoy customization, but as the exciting start of a new character, not as the actual gameplay. i love to spend a lot of time on chargen, trying hairs and tweaking the face, but also adding different armors and clothes later on. It is actually one of my favourite activities in games that allow it. But it is just a nice bonus and worths nothing if the actual game is boring (i am pointing at you, fo4). I am also more into maikng my character badass and unique while still fitting into the game world, which is a challenge, but i've never been interested in making my males sexually appealing or to look the way it makes me horny.

Can't say I spend too much time with customization or enjoy it too much. I rather quickly find character that suits me, tend to use 1 or 2 types of armors/outfits throughout entire game and pretty much have ready archetypes for every RPG I play. Difference in what each finds fun is quite big, huh?

Also poster above pointed out interesting thing that I haven't really been paying attention until now: dialogue structure. As I always play males, dialogues never bothered me or felt out of place. But you tend to play females too, right? What can you say about this (TES/FO/ME/DA)?

P.S. Considering selling presets, jeez... I had no idea, seriously, it doesn't even sound sane. Some people really need help...

Edited by Signette

I see some misconceptions here, you're trying to pose min-maxer type as main gameplay driver for strategies, which is not. As I have stated before, those games are mostly very flexible, it's purely your choice if you want to raise up the difficulty and challenge AI at your limits, or you can roleplay, setup a game followed by your vision and enjoy it at your hearts content, which is very viable too. I personally prefer healthy mix of both, and "conquering the world" is MY personal goal/fun part. You can choose any victory type you want, or play endless sandbox if you like. Nothing is written in stone really.

It's more and more feels like this genre is just an outcast because of stereotypes than anything else. As I said before, most guys don't have any problems enjoying "games for girls", it's seems hard thing to overcome for females...

As it is not my fav genre, i've haven played many strategy games, but i just might have tried the "wrong" ones, as i told you, i am not an expert in this topic, just tryng to guess.

But the original conversation was about why there are fewer female gamers in general, and it seems the reason is the same, just more apparent with strategies, and it is that mainstream aaa gaming as a whole is still considered male territory, and not only devs, but mainstream culture refuses to acknowledge the growing number of female players. Just look at big bang theory (sometimes i watch, but by far not my fav series), it has some scientist females who are supposed to be "nerdy", but they all stil enjoy typical girly stuff like playing harp, disney princesses, romantic poems and tv series, and make fun of their male nerd friends for playing games and liking comic books and usual "nerd" stuff. The only time a girl was shown playing a game, she became ridiculous, disgusting, and manly because of doing it.

Considering males and violence, I pretty much agree with all you say. Most famous male action protagonists are basically very stereotypical, it's hard to find decent personality among them and you made a good point there about future of HD graphics and stuff. I don't know if you have seen Oculus VR parody TV spot, which is incredibly funny and nails exactly all you said. In case you didn't, sorry, I can't post it, it's way too dirty. :tongue:

I googled the parody, and .. yep :D :D

Also, as i've told you, i actually prefer to roleplay as a male, which means it can be interesting and appealing to a female too, but i am sure most females pick females in an rpg because they are fed up with the usual dull muscleman when thinking of a male protagonist, and want to play something that doesnt even closely resemble that, and it is true that even in an rpg the default character is a machoman, and you have to put some effort into roleplaying when a playing as a male to avoid it completely.

Can't say I spend too much time with customization or enjoy it too much. I rather quickly find character that suits me, tend to use 1 or 2 types of armors/outfits throughout entire game and pretty much have ready archetypes for every RPG I play. Difference in what each finds fun is quite big, huh?

Also poster above pointed out interesting thing that I haven't really been paying attention until now: dialogue structure. As I always play males, dialogues never bothered me or felt out of place. But you tend to play females too, right? What can you say about this (TES/FO/ME/DA)?

P.S. Considering selling presets, jeez... I had no idea, seriously, it doesn't even sound sane. Some people really need help...

Yes, that is the best with a good rpg game, you can do "whatever floats your boat". For me, getting my characters look "right" adds to the actual roleplay. Some people want to have it lot more difficult to "feel the struggle". But when you just create slutty sexdolls which are borderline pedo, just for the sake of creating slutty sexdolls which are borderline pedo, something is wrong imho. Especially when it becomes a trend.

I do prefer to have my females look hot, but within reason, and keep them fitting into the gameworld.

About the above posters opinion: that was exactly what i meant in my firt post in this thread when i said "these games were made with a male who plays male character in mind". I cant pick an exact example right now, but whit elder scrolls and fallout 3 and 4 (nv is abbit better but not at all), some dialogues when spoken by femles, and some npc reactions seem to be "off". Things they woldn't say to a femle character, things they'd probably say to a female but they wont, things only a male would do, etc. People look at you as a young male warrior, it is never exactly told, but hinted. With DA and ME, they did pay atention to this a bit more, at least it didn't always feel so awkward. Also pretty bad with skyrim that thev've created several races, yet you are treated as an average nord (also other elder scrolls preferring the default race, but oblivion is a lot flexible, given the cosmopolitan background, and morrowind has at least a non-human race as default).

About mod theft: It is sadly starting to become a trend lately, like it was some achievement or some savvy clever deed to steal a mod. Also people don' realize that something being free doesn't mean it becomes the property of everyone and that you can do whatever you want with it whithout the creators permission. Also since mods for consoles came out, some people don't realize that an xbox is much different from pc and some mods can't be converted to them, so they steal them, upload them for consoles, thinking that they've just tricked the mean bad console hating mod author who didn't upload, and get mad when their machine breaks. I've always wanted to be good at modding and creating poular and liked mods, but this time i am glad i just do basic armor mashups for an old game, so i don't have to deal with this.

As it is not my fav genre, i've haven played many strategy games, but i just might have tried the "wrong" ones, as i told you, i am not an expert in this topic, just tryng to guess.

But the original conversation was about why there are fewer female gamers in general, and it seems the reason is the same, just more apparent with strategies, and it is that mainstream aaa gaming as a whole is still considered male territory, and not only devs, but mainstream culture refuses to acknowledge the growing number of female players. Just look at big bang theory (sometimes i watch, but by far not my fav series), it has some scientist females who are supposed to be "nerdy", but they all stil enjoy typical girly stuff like playing harp, disney princesses, romantic poems and tv series, and make fun of their male nerd friends for playing games and liking comic books and usual "nerd" stuff. The only time a girl was shown playing a game, she became ridiculous, disgusting, and manly because of doing it.

Can't say I'm big on shows, only heard about Big Bang Theory, never watched it, but things you say are disturbing. I have no idea why they pushing this idea of "games - male territory" theme, since it sets in minds and drive females away even more from very-very gender neutral activity in reality. I just can't understand those stupid constraints... it's not like you, as a female, have to move heavy bricks or some hardware, working mines or something like that. Everyone sits in their comfy chairs and push buttons while staring at screen. Mad concepts...

I googled the parody, and .. yep :D :D

Also, as i've told you, i actually prefer to roleplay as a male, which means it can be interesting and appealing to a female too, but i am sure most females pick females in an rpg because they are fed up with the usual dull muscleman when thinking of a male protagonist, and want to play something that doesnt even closely resemble that, and it is true that even in an rpg the default character is a machoman, and you have to put some effort into roleplaying when a playing as a male to avoid it completely.

I guess they do realize you don't have to create muscular machoman to play, right?... But if we overlook original intentions for player character, I perfectly understand desire to roleplay your gender. But then again, I can't surely say why females would play opposite gender, there could be many reasons, but for males it's often sexual context, to stare at huge, round bodyparts while killing stuff. Not the only reason, sure, but this one is ridiculous IMO. Like, immersion? Probs never heard of it. :confused:

Yes, that is the best with a good rpg game, you can do "whatever floats your boat". For me, getting my characters look "right" adds to the actual roleplay. Some people want to have it lot more difficult to "feel the struggle". But when you just create slutty sexdolls which are borderline pedo, just for the sake of creating slutty sexdolls which are borderline pedo, something is wrong imho. Especially when it becomes a trend.

I do prefer to have my females look hot, but within reason, and keep them fitting into the gameworld.

About the above posters opinion: that was exactly what i meant in my firt post in this thread when i said "these games were made with a male who plays male character in mind". I cant pick an exact example right now, but whit elder scrolls and fallout 3 and 4 (nv is abbit better but not at all), some dialogues when spoken by femles, and some npc reactions seem to be "off". Things they woldn't say to a femle character, things they'd probably say to a female but they wont, things only a male would do, etc. People look at you as a young male warrior, it is never exactly told, but hinted. With DA and ME, they did pay atention to this a bit more, at least it didn't always feel so awkward. Also pretty bad with skyrim that thev've created several races, yet you are treated as an average nord (also other elder scrolls preferring the default race, but oblivion is a lot flexible, given the cosmopolitan background, and morrowind has at least a non-human race as default).

About mod theft: It is sadly starting to become a trend lately, like it was some achievement or some savvy clever deed to steal a mod. Also people don' realize that something being free doesn't mean it becomes the property of everyone and that you can do whatever you want with it whithout the creators permission. Also since mods for consoles came out, some people don't realize that an xbox is much different from pc and some mods can't be converted to them, so they steal them, upload them for consoles, thinking that they've just tricked the mean bad console hating mod author who didn't upload, and get mad when their machine breaks. I've always wanted to be good at modding and creating poular and liked mods, but this time i am glad i just do basic armor mashups for an old game, so i don't have to deal with this.

Regarding sexdolls, I believe there's huge demands, not like authors pushing it down someones throat, it not their fault it's so popular either, but gotta agree, trend is freaking scary...

And so you confirm about dialogue system, really sad, I didn't think it was that bad. Considering what you said above, I suppose that might be another reason why you prefer playing as male characters? In ME/DA you basically choose only looks, characters temper is set by default mostly, and I imagine that would be some cliche woman-warrior-commander archetype.

In TES and Beths' FO I always perceived character as blank page, and most roleplaying was happening in my head, rather than in gameworld. It's both, good and bad I suppose.

Considering mods, I completely agree with you there, and I'm aware of what's going on more or less. As for myself, I never really wanted to involve in modding too much, mainly to the point of having fun, not deeper. For example, my latest mini-mod for one small indy game has like 10 downloads and maybe 3 or 4 people only knows about its existence, but I always updating it ASAP and support it every way I can, cause I like it (ye, you can laugh now :tongue:). And if I had some big mods being stolen, not sure, but most likely I wouldn't care. I'd just put disclaimer on my main page on Nexus, saying that I do not support any other version than this. And if people break their machines by using unsupported software, it's on them, right? Why should I bother? So, I guess it's purely a matter of ones perspective.

Edited by Signette

Can't say I'm big on shows, only heard about Big Bang Theory, never watched it, but things you say are disturbing. I have no idea why they pushing this idea of "games - male territory" theme, since it sets in minds and drive females away even more from very-very gender neutral activity in reality. I just can't understand those stupid constraints... it's not like you, as a female, have to move heavy bricks or some hardware, working mines or something like that. Everyone sits in their comfy chairs and push buttons while staring at screen. Mad concepts...

At the first few series in big bang theory there were a few funny and unique jokes, so i started to watch, but now it is just a typical american sitcom full of cliches boring recurring puns and the super-annyoing audience laugh after every joke.

it also doesn't help that in most mainstream media (like movies, ads, series etc) a poular game is either depicted as some agressive military shooter or booby-bouncy fantasy stuff, and the player is usually the subject of shame and ridicule.

Also i dont really think most men have anything against a gamer female, they even find it hot, but a lot of females kinda look down on other females (sometimes also males) who play, like it was some nerdy antisocial thing only done by fat perverted geeky men and unpoular friendless teenage kids. And yes, mainstream media is very much guity in this.

BTW have you seen the mass effect andromeda trailer? It shows the default female player character, not the male, and she is not even remotely slutty, nice change (they put a slutmakeup on default fem in me3...).

I guess they do realize you don't have to create muscular machoman to play, right?... But if we overlook original intentions for player character, I perfectly understand desire to roleplay your gender. But then again, I can't surely say why females would play opposite gender, there could be many reasons, but for males it's often sexual context, to stare at huge, round bodyparts while killing stuff. Not the only reason, sure, but this one is ridiculous IMO. Like, immersion? Probs never heard of it. :confused:

I can only tell why i play as a male. Benefitting more from the gameplay as a male char is just one minor reason. For me being in the role of a male is an exciting experience, and a fun challenge to play it "properly" and immersively. I don't think there is any sexuality in it, at least i never ever screenshotted my males from different angles while drooling (well, technically i did but is was for the mods i've released and i've been drooling over how awesome i am for creating it :D ). Yes, i do find them "hot", but i highly prefer their storyline and developement to their looks, in fact the looks are important because it adds to their personality and makes them unique.

Of course i am only talking about games with roleplaying options, the typical pre-established cliche personality males are no fun, and totally not relatable, and i'd prefer more female options in those games.

Regarding sexdolls, I believe there's huge demands, not like authors pushing it down someones throat, it not their fault it's so popular either, but gotta agree, trend is freaking scary...

And so you confirm about dialogue system, really sad, I didn't think it was that bad. Considering what you said above, I suppose that might be another reason why you prefer playing as male characters? In ME/DA you basically choose only looks, characters temper is set by default mostly, and I imagine that would be some cliche woman-warrior-commander archetype.

In TES and Beths' FO I always perceived character as blank page, and most roleplaying was happening in my head, rather than in gameworld. It's both, good and bad I suppose.

Considering mods, I completely agree with you there, and I'm aware of what's going on more or less. As for myself, I never really wanted to involve in modding too much, mainly to the point of having fun, not deeper. For example, my latest mini-mod for one small indy game has like 10 downloads and maybe 3 or 4 people only knows about its existence, but I always updating it ASAP and support it every way I can, cause I like it (ye, you can laugh now :tongue:). And if I had some big mods being stolen, not sure, but most likely I wouldn't care. I'd just put disclaimer on my main page on Nexus, saying that I do not support any other version than this. And if people break their machines by using unsupported software, it's on them, right? Why should I bother? So, I guess it's purely a matter of ones perspective.

I didn't say the sexdoll overload was the mod authors "fault", i think its the immature audience that is mostly responsible, and it is just a great coincidence for those modders who prefer to make these kind of "sexy" mods, and it makes them even more active and encouraged. i think it is fine though, however a bit annoying, but whatever floats your boat, again. But i the child looking sexdolls are problematic. Pixie my a*s, it is a little girl disgustingly sexualized.

About the dialogue sistem, it is more like you dont really have a choice to establish any personality with them, and it fits best for a male warrior type.

You mostly have to roleplay in your head, which can be a good thing, but the dialogues not always indicate a "blank character", but fit for a male warrior white knight.

Why would i laugh? Some of my favourite mods have barely any downloads. Also i never relaesed any mod for "fame and glory", if i would, i'd mod boob-bikinis for skyrim, but i mod totaly non-skimpy stuff for fallout nv. I only made them because it was fun. Just like most modders.

Stealing mods is not only problematic because someone "takes away your glory", but also because stolen mods are not properly supported, and many buggy and badly working mods give a bad name to the whole community.

Also, you put your heart, soul and a lot of your free time into something just to see that other people steal it, misuse it, and then others criticise it in a really immature way, that must be really underwhelming. Even though they might be a bunch of scripts, they are like artwork, a piece of you, and so you feel responsible for it, want to keep track of what happens to it, and stay in control of it. Its perfectly fine and understandable if you would't care, but i think many people feel like that in this situation.

At the first few series in big bang theory there were a few funny and unique jokes, so i started to watch, but now it is just a typical american sitcom full of cliches boring recurring puns and the super-annyoing audience laugh after every joke.

it also doesn't help that in most mainstream media (like movies, ads, series etc) a poular game is either depicted as some agressive military shooter or booby-bouncy fantasy stuff, and the player is usually the subject of shame and ridicule.

Also i dont really think most men have anything against a gamer female, they even find it hot, but a lot of females kinda look down on other females (sometimes also males) who play, like it was some nerdy antisocial thing only done by fat perverted geeky men and unpoular friendless teenage kids. And yes, mainstream media is very much guity in this.

BTW have you seen the mass effect andromeda trailer? It shows the default female player character, not the male, and she is not even remotely slutty, nice change (they put a slutmakeup on default fem in me3...).

Yep, look at every modern MMO, it's even more terrifing that it actually works, and ppl buy in that stuff. I heard some crazy stories about ppl who spent fortunes on primitive online games which is basically all about boobs and feminine "hot" males...

Men surely don't have anything against gamer females, but it seems like most females have a lot against gamer males, and not only them but pretty much whole society. I have created topic about it here in debates which had some funny comments exactly about it, and sadly this is trend, rather stupid one but nothing to do here...

Nah, haven't seen trailer, and yes, that's refreshing they have female (they probs know it played well in fem communities so pushing it), and I wouldn't really tell slutmakeup from other one, that's probably girly business I'm not familiar with. :tongue:

I can only tell why i play as a male. Benefitting more from the gameplay as a male char is just one minor reason. For me being in the role of a male is an exciting experience, and a fun challenge to play it "properly" and immersively. I don't think there is any sexuality in it, at least i never ever screenshotted my males from different angles while drooling (well, technically i did but is was for the mods i've released and i've been drooling over how awesome i am for creating it :D ). Yes, i do find them "hot", but i highly prefer their storyline and developement to their looks, in fact the looks are important because it adds to their personality and makes them unique.

Of course i am only talking about games with roleplaying options, the typical pre-established cliche personality males are no fun, and totally not relatable, and i'd prefer more female options in those games.

That's... really surprising and curious to hear, I can't imagine myself being excited roleplaying female, couldn't imagine someone would enjoy this, and what do you think? Are you good at it? :wink:

Okay, jokes aside, I truly don't find it exciting, glad you do, and this isn't really surprising, cause we're all have different interests. Here few guys confessed about pretty much what you said. But I gotta admit, I do screenshots of my males, even naked ones (no creepy mods), but that's more of a scenery shots where my naked weathered warrior complements it with his gorgeos muscles or lack thereof, and I'm trying my best not to drool at this. I mean I can find certain beauty, and Skyrim has that in spades, like art appreciation, but I never could really understand how 2D/3D model of anyone can make someone horny or pose some sex appeal, especially those monsters in hotfiles, who have nothing in common with real human being, and considering how popular it is, well... some ppl are strange. It's like in ME, how much dudes say Asari are hot - blue monster with scales and tentacles on it's head... just what kind of -phile is this?

I didn't say the sexdoll overload was the mod authors "fault", i think its the immature audience that is mostly responsible, and it is just a great coincidence for those modders who prefer to make these kind of "sexy" mods, and it makes them even more active and encouraged. i think it is fine though, however a bit annoying, but whatever floats your boat, again. But i the child looking sexdolls are problematic. Pixie my a*s, it is a little girl disgustingly sexualized.

About the dialogue sistem, it is more like you dont really have a choice to establish any personality with them, and it fits best for a male warrior type.

You mostly have to roleplay in your head, which can be a good thing, but the dialogues not always indicate a "blank character", but fit for a male warrior white knight.

Why would i laugh? Some of my favourite mods have barely any downloads. Also i never relaesed any mod for "fame and glory", if i would, i'd mod boob-bikinis for skyrim, but i mod totaly non-skimpy stuff for fallout nv. I only made them because it was fun. Just like most modders.

Stealing mods is not only problematic because someone "takes away your glory", but also because stolen mods are not properly supported, and many buggy and badly working mods give a bad name to the whole community.

Also, you put your heart, soul and a lot of your free time into something just to see that other people steal it, misuse it, and then others criticise it in a really immature way, that must be really underwhelming. Even though they might be a bunch of scripts, they are like artwork, a piece of you, and so you feel responsible for it, want to keep track of what happens to it, and stay in control of it. Its perfectly fine and understandable if you would't care, but i think many people feel like that in this situation.

I can't say I'm anime fan, but I watched some (very little in fact), and to be completely honest, it seem like most of those featured little girls as fully adult females who act like ones, and seems like nobody really cares about this. Now, I'm not an expert on Japanese culture or their way of perception of the world, but it felt a bit awkward all the time. This flows everywhere and influences gaming and many more media, as well as mods. It probably from where all these mods are based of, and since I'm not into this stuff, I just don't use it, but I sometimes ask myself, maybe I just don't get it or don't see some context others do? But overall I see it the way you describe, so no real input here.

Well, white knight mostly, yes, but sometimes I could extort money and doublecross people which is fun. Sidequests aren't that bad in fact, and by "blank" I meant my decisions don't matter (or not asked) in most important cases. Like, what if I agree with Alduin and want this world obliterated? What if it is just the way cycle should go and right thing to do? You get used to siding with main villian or being able to take some completely unexpected routes in story in most decent cRPGs, but I never had these choices in those more mainstream ones like new TES/FO, ME, DA and the rest, it's really frustrating sometimes.

Well, I see your input on mods. Yes, I pretty much feel about them the same way, but I can feel responsible only about the part I have control over. I just understand I can't really do a thing if someone takes my mod without permission, rename it and upload on third party site posing as his/her work. It is happening with Nexus mods for ages now. I've seen some foreign sites with mods from Nexus, sometimes even without authors credited, but this fuss now is all about Beth and their official site, which is unacceptable of course, they had to make some preventative measures and have better protection.

And by the way, you've been talking about your mods, and now I'm curious, could you post some links? Since my desktop GPU burned to ashes I might get back to FNV... and I think my laptop should handle this, Skyrim too hopefully.

Edited by Signette

Yep, look at every modern MMO, it's even more terrifing that it actually works, and ppl buy in that stuff. I heard some crazy stories about ppl who spent fortunes on primitive online games which is basically all about boobs and feminine "hot" males...

Men surely don't have anything against gamer females, but it seems like most females have a lot against gamer males, and not only them but pretty much whole society. I have created topic about it here in debates which had some funny comments exactly about it, and sadly this is trend, rather stupid one but nothing to do here...

Nah, haven't seen trailer, and yes, that's refreshing they have female (they probs know it played well in fem communities so pushing it), and I wouldn't really tell slutmakeup from other one, that's probably girly business I'm not familiar with. :tongue:

i actually think that this whole issue about less female gamers is mostly because of the prejudices on the female side. Females are usually a lot more concerned than males about what society thinks about them and how people perceive them. And in most mainstream media gaming is depicted as something childish nerdy time wasting antisocial ridiculous boyish stuff and is set as the opposite of the ideal female (pretty, sexy, cute, naive, a bit dumb, needs help from males) and male (strong, sporty, romantic, popular, has some nice career, has sex with a lot of hot women) depicted by the mainstream media. Sadly the biggest fear of a lot of females is being not accepted by the society that surrounds them, and even more sadly the avereage person kinda believes what they see in the media, and as long as gaming is depicted as something undesirable, it is hard to change that mindset.

What i dont understand that gaming is a huge business with a lot of money in it, why don't they try harder to change this?

Huh, "slutmakeup" was a bit harsh, i meant that they made her a makeup more fitting for someone on a photoshoot than for a soldier. Now they show the default fem in the trailer with an acceptable makeup and she looks kinda pretty but i can believe she is a soldier.

Also they admitted that they named the main character after some famous american female astronaut (maybe the first one).

That's... really surprising and curious to hear, I can't imagine myself being excited roleplaying female, couldn't imagine someone would enjoy this, and what do you think? Are you good at it? :wink:

Okay, jokes aside, I truly don't find it exciting, glad you do, and this isn't really surprising, cause we're all have different interests. Here few guys confessed about pretty much what you said. But I gotta admit, I do screenshots of my males, even naked ones (no creepy mods), but that's more of a scenery shots where my naked weathered warrior complements it with his gorgeos muscles or lack thereof, and I'm trying my best not to drool at this. I mean I can find certain beauty, and Skyrim has that in spades, like art appreciation, but I never could really understand how 2D/3D model of anyone can make someone horny or pose some sex appeal, especially those monsters in hotfiles, who have nothing in common with real human being, and considering how popular it is, well... some ppl are strange. It's like in ME, how much dudes say Asari are hot - blue monster with scales and tentacles on it's head... just what kind of -phile is this?

Abut playing as the opposite gender, to be honest i can't really tell even to myself what is the main thing why i enjoy it more as a male roleplayer. i just guess it is because of the novelty and the challenge. If i had to live my real life in a male body from now on, i guess i would consider killing myself (all my simpathy goes to the transgender community). I guess it is about experiencing life from a males point of wiew, with a male mindset, something like acting. And yes, it is challenging sometimes.

Heh, it is hard to resist not to do screenshots in skyrim, since it looks so damn epic. I do have a few them, but they are mostly scenery, sometimes with my characters placed in action somwhere on them so they have a story too (and if i remeber correctly i have a screens showing the naked grey butt of my dark elf while thaking a bath near riverwood). But really not a lot, i made them when i installed some fancy environment mods. Also, now that i think about it, i even had some pics from mass effect because i thought that my male char looked so much better that the default male (he didn't) and i was proud of myself :) So mostly i drool over how awesome i am for making such an epic stuff :) But those where a while ago, now i only sometimes make screens for my mods.

Well, asari look almost like human, and a sexy hot female human especially (which is stupid and immersion breaking imho). Not only ther looks but their shallow fan-service racial traits make them poular sex-dreams (they are bisexual and promiscuous). There are "sicker" stuff in there. With my female i actually did the Garrus romance plot :D I only did that because he was the most interesting character to pick from the love interests imho (and i liked the buddies to lovers storyline). And i didn't have the slightest sexual interest (only my character did :) ), but he has a massive female fanbase. And he looks like the lovechild of a chicken and a deathclaw.

Also pixel people can't attract me either, and i'll never get it, but many people managed to "relieve themself" to lara croft from the first tomb raider. She literally had triangles for boobs. I guess that the pixel beauty is in their control and that the player is in charge in every way makes them somehow more attractive. But it is just a guess.

I can't say I'm anime fan, but I watched some (very little in fact), and to be completely honest, it seem like most of those featured little girls as fully adult females who act like ones, and seems like nobody really cares about this. Now, I'm not an expert on Japanese culture or their way of perception of the world, but it felt a bit awkward all the time. This flows everywhere and influences gaming and many more media, as well as mods. It probably from where all these mods are based of, and since I'm not into this stuff, I just don't use it, but I sometimes ask myself, maybe I just don't get it or don't see some context others do? But overall I see it the way you describe, so no real input here.

Well, white knight mostly, yes, but sometimes I could extort money and doublecross people which is fun. Sidequests aren't that bad in fact, and by "blank" I meant my decisions don't matter (or not asked) in most important cases. Like, what if I agree with Alduin and want this world obliterated? What if it is just the way cycle should go and right thing to do? You get used to siding with main villian or being able to take some completely unexpected routes in story in most decent cRPGs, but I never had these choices in those more mainstream ones like new TES/FO, ME, DA and the rest, it's really frustrating sometimes.

Well, I see your input on mods. Yes, I pretty much feel about them the same way, but I can feel responsible only about the part I have control over. I just understand I can't really do a thing if someone takes my mod without permission, rename it and upload on third party site posing as his/her work. It is happening with Nexus mods for ages now. I've seen some foreign sites with mods from Nexus, sometimes even without authors credited, but this fuss now is all about Beth and their official site, which is unacceptable of course, they had to make some preventative measures and have better protection.

And by the way, you've been talking about your mods, and now I'm curious, could you post some links? Since my desktop GPU burned to ashes I might get back to FNV... and I think my laptop should handle this, Skyrim too hopefully.

I am not an anime fan either, and i know that not all of them are like that, but it seems kind of a standard in animes to have at least one child looking adult female character. and it is so pathetic how they try to make it look legit, like "she is a 10000 years old fairy".

The fact that the child anime beauty is getting mainstream is problematic for two reasons. The first one, that i've already mentioned, it legitimizes pedophilia. "It is in this popular cartoon, so it is not that wrong, is it?" The other problem is, that this is becoming beauty standard, like porn actresses and then fashion models did, those young stupid males grow up on these thinking that this is what they need and desire and what they are entitled to. So they find out that real women act like adults, look like adults, have normal human proportions, they age, their boobs are not melon sized and don't bounce when they breathe, and their eyeballs fit into their skull, so these boys become disappointed and bitter and have a real hard time to get into a normal relationship. I think most of them gets over it after a certain age, but sometimes it happens at a higher age than accaptable (like 30 instead of 16)

(and yes, most of those mods are based on japanese anime culture)

About unflexible dialogues and questlines, i feel the same, and i think it is getting worse, mostly due voice acting, since more choices would require more voiced lines, and it is not only expensive, but would make the game files too large. That is especially with bethesda games.

However, they could make it more varied and immersive with the given amount of dialogues imho, but that would require more taleted writers, and bethesda seemingly lacks them. It was still nice with morrowind, even though it didnt really have voices (my fav was the dunmer female shouting "stooopid" when dying) there weren't many real dialogues (only same info repeated over and over), they still could do a much more interesting and replayable questline. The oblivion main quest was much worse, very stiff dull and linear mq even if you involve head canon, no replayability, and even though many people liked its ending, i think it was horribly written and executed. Skyrim improved over oblivion, but not much. The fallout 3 questline started out very nicely, but turned into an illogical boring annoyance after your dad commited suicide (he technically did), and the ending got even worse when they "fixed" it (You meaninglessly sacrificed yourself/pathetically sacrificed the girl, but it doesnt matter, you just sleep it off). I only played half throgh fo4 main quest but it is a mediocre boredom so far and i doubt it gets better. And then there is NV, which is by far not flawless, but with the same capabilities as fo3 they could make a very much replayable main quest, even though they barely had time to make the game (it turned out to be really buggy though).

But i have to agree that the bigger side quests are almost always better.

About the beth.net site, i think they realized fo4 is not as successful as they hoped (they hoped for super duper crazy successful but it is just super successful), so they wanted the moddability for consoles asap, so they quickly put toghether a site not knowing what they were doing. Also most big companies usually get away with doing outragious stuff, so they don't hurry to fix it either. The worst thing about it that they kinda legitimized mod theft with this site since they are the creator of the game.

About my mods, you told me you are not much into dressing up, and they are all armors and some headgear (and a weird mod i made for a friend that adds horns to your head...), and there are many better armor mods. But take a look.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/users/1103806/?tb=mods&pUp=1