IMPORTANT! A SITE IS STEALING MODS!

zidders

Hello all. The names Zid, and I'm a regular over on the Runic Games forums. A few weeks ago, the webmaster of both the Runic games forums AND the Runic Games Fansite, Webbstre, noticed that someone was downloading every single mod hosted by the Runic Games Fansite. He eventually found out that it was this site http://gmod.com/ , and apparently, the CEO of the company hosting the site has been having the people working on his mod hosting site upload peoples mods from sites like the Nexus's and RGF, without the mod owners permission,

Here's the discussion thread about it http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18042&hilit=gmod This includes where the CEO came in and tried to defend his theft of other peoples mods. I just wanted to bring this to your attention, as the Nexus and other modding sites like it have made it possible for me to enjoy many of my games far more than I would have been able to if noone had ever made any more. I think that what this guy is doing is pretty dicked, especially considering most of you release mods to the public for free, and this guy intends to eventually charge for people to use the site once it's live.

If you guys don't think it's right for someone to use your mods to promote their companys site without your permission, let this guy know that he's infringing on your copyright!

Changed the thread title so people didn't misconstrue "this site" for meaning the Nexus ;) --Dark0ne

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said by the owner of the website GMOD, and apparent CEO of their host group, Olympus Games.

Hello all. Just found this thread and thought I would shed some light on gmod.com. This is Skylar Kreisher, CEO of Olympus Games.

First off, Webbstre, please let me know the name of your mod and I'll have it removed asap. We have a very strict policy of contacting developers before we upload content - I'm not sure why you weren't contact but I'm sincerely sorry. If you had contacted us we would have pull for you, we aren't trying to "steal" anyone's content. The site doesn't have a single ad or any other way of generating revenue. Our goal is to create an awesome site where people can share content.

I'm also sorry that our company site (olympusgames.com) is so outdated and doesn't provide any useful info. We have a new site in dev that we plan to launch in the next couple weeks.

I'd like to begin a conversation with everyone here and try to answer some questions about gmod.com. There seems to be a lot of confusion about what we are trying to do.

This is total bull of course. I had a look at the site, and they appear to have just bare-minimum copy and pasted the descriptions from RGF and Nexus, then cut out the bits that say 'requires permission' and the like.

It also has a box saying 'We are currently looking for (Insert Modder Name Here), Click here to claim your account'. So instead of saying something along the lines of 'Hi, we are looking into starting a new Modding website, how would you feel about creating an account and uploading some work to help us get started?' they have just gone 'We are new, we took your stuff. Make an account.'

Edited by CommanderCrazy

If everyone could please spread this info around to whatever modding sites your a part of. Not only is this guy stealing mods, he's also been stealing the bandwidth of the websites he's been downloading stuff from. I'm hoping to get the word out to a few other places, If anyone has any suggestions on where to best post my original post at, i'd appreciate the info.

"We have a strict policy against uploading stolen mods, so when we stole your mods we should have contacted you. But we totally weren't stealing your mods in the first place, so if you had just told us that we were, we swear we would have fixed it!!!"

-Derp Derpington, CEO of Durrr.com

Sounds like your typical sleazy corporate noncommittal non-denial.

This seems to be the latest thing for gaming sites and file hosts. Wasn't there a thread just the other day? You'd think with copyright law trending toward draconian, that they'd be less brazen if they have much of anything to lose. Charging for access to Oblivion mods definitely runs afoul of Bethesda's EULA.

Edited by McMuffin

"so when we stole your mods we should have contacted you", WOW that sounded great.

Anyway, the thread tittle is very strange... when a saw it I thought the OP was accusing TESNexus of stealing.

Edited by nosisab

Cute Elves and Adonnays Elven Weaponry gone from that site. Good. I just don't get how that site is going to charge money for content that must be free in order to be legal. I suppose if the mod author says "feel free to redistribute with proper credit" it's ok for them to re-upload such mods, but once they start charging a fee then it's just really wrong.

Cheeky, but I have seen my mods on several sites I know I didn't give permission to. Not sure it is worth getting worked up about. As long as people don't come to the Nexus pages demanding why the version they downloaded on some other site had a virus that crashed their system and set fire to their dog.

Cheeky, but I have seen my mods on several sites I know I didn't give permission to. Not sure it is worth getting worked up about. As long as people don't come to the Nexus pages demanding why the version they downloaded on some other site had a virus that crashed their system and set fire to their dog.

Yes, but if that site charges a member fee to access mods, then there's a problem, because then they're profiteering off mods they don't have the permissions to host.