IMPORTANT! A SITE IS STEALING MODS!

zidders

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

Sorry about that, not sure how it happened. When someone with sudo-like powers comes in I'll have him see if we can get that page revived for reuse.

Also, as soon as Kreisher comes in, I'll have him confirm the wiki details :)

Thanks again,

-Terry

Haha, someone thought Zidders and I and Kreisher were the same person? That's kinda hilarious. Also, JediFreeman is actually one of the devs at Runic, in case anyone cares ;)

I do admit that this has been an interesting experience. Torchlight has only been around for a couple years, so we haven't had the content stealing problem come up before. Sad to hear that other sites have been just as problematic to this site and weren't as compliant.

There are a couple of Russian sites I've seen that reupload mods. Most of them however translate them. I am quite sure I've seen your mod LHammonds one of the Russia Elder Scrolls sites. I can understand their purpose of not using the site like Nexus since they translate some of the mods.

@Metallicow

"We will give this guy a chance. I like competition. It is what keeps the game running....

He HAS posted an apology. Let's see what he as got."

"Better the devil ya know" ....ya reckon??.

"Granted, this guy has screwed up, have you not..? ARE YOU PERFECT? . NO."

Not perfect ....not even good.....no need to SHOUT!.

"Watch... and learn......"

Yeah yeah....."give em enough rope.........".

TC.

Oi, the guys owned up and promised to fix what we found wrong with their approach. At least give them the benefit of the doubt. We can't lose anything from it.

If some dude stole me car and p'd in me pocket, do you think I would give him the key and a pat on the back??? PFFFT!!!

Unless the car needed to be taken to the scrappers.................hmmm.

All I can say is that all the people (and vampires) here at Nexus are obviously a great bunch of people {you've shown kindness where I would be hateful} and I'm glad I found this place...that's from the heart albeit a little cold. TC.

Edited by jmalkavian

If some dude stole me car and p'd in me pocket, do you think I would give him the key and a pat on the back??? PFFFT!!!

A car is a physical object, available in a finite amount, meaning one. If somebody took your car, it's gone, you don't have it anymore. A mod is a digital download, infinitely available. If somebody 'stole' your mod, you have the mod and he has the mod. Therefore, your analogy of the car is rendered invalid.

Also, stop being so edgy.

A car is a physical object, available in a finite amount, meaning one. If somebody took your car, it's gone, you don't have it anymore. A mod is a digital download, infinitely available. If somebody 'stole' your mod, you have the mod and he has the mod. Therefore, your analogy of the car is rendered invalid.

Also, stop being so edgy.

You're missing the point, don't misconstrue:

--Steal car == illegal

--Upload & make available to public...Mods...without permission == illegal.

Therefore == same difference.

TC.

That's not entirely true, as far as I know. I don't think any mods on this site has been copyrighted by their owners, so even if somebody states they don't want their mod reuploaded elsewhere, it's not illegal for a site to redistribute it unless they intend to profit from it. I'm not fully up to date on copyright rights of user-created content, but that's correct as far as I understand.

The entire 'no reuploads without permission' thing is more of an issue about respecting and honour towards the modder.

In the end it doesn't matter if profit's the reason or not, if you do re-upload it you're ousted from the community if it gets known and then you can forget to be successful in for whatever reason. The factor of doing it directly harms the modding community as an author might choose no upload or update any of their mods or will do so even more exclusively or in a protected environment none benefits for real in the end.

Depending on where you live it does break a law as copyright automatically exists and you don't need the ©-sign or a declaration of it on the place/usage. The reason why it's used often still has to do with countries that do still require those things to be present to be valid. The content involved with the site here had a lot of things created from scratch so it'd be definitely possible to claim copyright.

//

I think the modders should now start using The Creative Common License.

I've seen a few doing it already :P.

Edited by Pronam