Is Skyrim gonna be 360 port?

Xenno

In many videos i watched on youtube , i hear Tod saying that we see footage of 360 version , so i guess they develop console version first...

The worst thing that could happed is to se consolitis sickness in Skyrim, but if they do port i hope it will be ported good, cuz Skyrim is too big game... im only worrying about controls on PC and some other stuff that could in the end be too much console type... but in the end we do have great modders here that could change it :)

What do you others think about this?

Man i wish both Sony and Microsoft go to he.. , why can all just use PC and enjoy in better graphics mods and 10 billion more reasons to play on PC....

Anyway thx for link to thread ...

No it is not. The reason is that all games ever made were made on a computer of some sort. This means that most of the time they develop a PC version even if they aren't going to release the PC version. With TES and the TES: Construction set I can guarantee that it is a port from PC to the consoles. With Bethesda's new engine, if it's anything like Unreal Engine 3, then they would develop a game on a PC and then they could just click a few buttons to port it to consoles. It makes the developers job a lot easier to make it for PC then port it. PC is the dominant gaming platform and that is because it has better graphics, mods, you can update it when new tech comes out so on...

No it is not. The reason is that all games ever made were made on a computer of some sort. This means that most of the time they develop a PC version even if they aren't going to release the PC version. With TES and the TES: Construction set I can guarantee that it is a port from PC to the consoles. With Bethesda's new engine, if it's anything like Unreal Engine 3, then they would develop a game on a PC and then they could just click a few buttons to port it to consoles. It makes the developers job a lot easier to make it for PC then port it. PC is the dominant gaming platform and that is because it has better graphics, mods, you can update it when new tech comes out so on...

Yes, but really, no... way off.

While it is true that all games are made on a PC (or Mac if you want to get technical), what determines if it is a port, and which direction is the way in which it is developed with specific hardware, UI, or features in mind. Most games that have a dual console/PC release were created with consoles in mind since consoles have pre-determined hardware and more restrictive UI limitations.

Technically, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout3/NV, DA:O, DA2, were all ports from console to PC. People didn't complain then.

Yes, Skyrim was designed primarily around console hardware and UI limitations, but the PC version allows for more detail, better environments, and mods... Pretty much the same story as Morrowind, Oblivion, and FO3/NV.

People who make these kinds of threads aren't upset so much about it being a port rather that they are afraid that the game will become lackluster because it is being tailored to a wider audience. They don't want to see a game dumbed down to say... only a few weapons at a time and automatically restoring health when out of combat or an interface which is clunky and requires a few dozen clicks to get from one menu to the next. This is understandable, but these people are wrong to blame it on it being related to a console release. Those same elements could be present in a game made strictly for PC simply by virtue of a development team with their head up their ass.

The reality is this: Console sales account for roughly 80% of the market. That means that for every 10 copies of a game sold, only about 2 of those will be for PC. Since companies ultimately want to make money from their games, having a larger audience means more sales, often without having any real effect on their existing fans no matter how badly they're upset with the work (eg. DA2, and wide anticipation of DA3). So instead of pissing and moaning because a game is a console port, complain when it is a console port and you can tell it's going to utterly ruin the franchise (Duke Nukem Forever). EVERYTHING shown with Skyrim so far has been nothing short of good for both PC gamers and Console gamers.

On the bright side, the good news is that as long as games are being made for console hardware, you don't need much better PC hardware to play them and still have the ability to max out the graphics if you have better hardware. As opposed to say... Needing a specially made gaming PC to even play the game (almost what Oblivion needed for many people at release).

As for demo videos being on console. As Todd explained in one interview, it's because it's significantly easier to go directly into the game for the preview than on computer since consoles have a less obtrusive OS and the game doesn't need to be installed and setup every time they go to preview a section. instead they just pop in their specially made preview disk which is already setup to have the player with what they want and where they want to start. SO much easier.

Technically, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout3/NV, DA:O, DA2, were all ports from console to PC. People didn't complain then.

Yes... yes they did complain, you must have been ignoring it well :thumbsup: .

Oblivions UI port was a very complained about 'feature'. The hardware requirements at the time were pretty beastly though, so no one was moaning that it wasn't using their system on the PC.

I have my doubts about MW being an Xbox port aw well. I am under the impression it was more like the other way around. the only thing I have off hand to support that is that it was released on the PC and then over a month later it went on the xbox. then like 6 months later for an EU xbox release.

The reality is this: Console sales account for roughly 80% of the market.

No. The PC makes up 45% or more of the entire video games market as a whole. According to Intel stats anyway...

Edited by Ghogiel

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298926/news/skyrim-pc-mods-may-hit-consoles/

What do you guys think of this?

This to me will be absolutely disastrous to the PC version of the game if it works out.

To be honest, if I start modding in Skyrim (which I'm planning to do at this point)., I really don't want my work to be ported over to the xbox or ps3 period, especially if I'm not paid.

Although it still remains to be seen if this will work out.

This to me will be absolutely disastrous to the PC version of the game if it works out.

How so?

People would still need PC to create those mods, and PC would still allow the most flexibility in mod creation and use since mods would not have to pass a "50-point" inspection from both the game company and the console company before it could be used.

Most of the mods with explicit content won't ever be brought to console. Most of the mods which contain trademarked elements would never be brought to console.

Many people would still play the PC version just because it is more natural to them, allows for higher detail/quality.

How so?

People would still need PC to create those mods, and PC would still allow the most flexibility in mod creation and use since mods would not have to pass a "50-point" inspection from both the game company and the console company before it could be used.

Most of the mods with explicit content won't ever be brought to console. Most of the mods which contain trademarked elements would never be brought to console.

Many people would still play the PC version just because it is more natural to them, allows for higher detail/quality.

Just let marketing and blind fanboyism take care of the rest, that small advantage will mean nothing. I'm not a PC "elitist" per say, I would like it if every console had support to make it the best it can be, but unfortunately PC gaming is suffering greatly in that category. If you look at comparisons between the graphics of popular console/pc games, the difference is negligible. When he said Skyrim would look the same, he meant it. Just look at the Xbox/Ps3 versions of Fallout New Vegas compared to the PC version, they look almost exactly the same. I can get my game to look amazing, but it gets around 60-30 fps, with no frame rate drop at all when recording lossless video quality, which to me (although I might be pretty ignorant in this assumption) seems like a lack of optimization. And again graphics don't make the game for a lot of people, but they sure do increase immersion. the whole UI and menu complaint is something I never understood, it works flawlessly for me. Again though, I think the reason why a lot of people complain about console ports is not because the consoles get a good version (although a lot of them do) , it's because they want the PC version of their games to continue to be high quality, which stops happening when there are less people buying PC games.

Just my pessimistic two cents.

I doubt modding for the console will happen. As much as Todd says he'd love to see it, Microsoft and Sony won't allow it because some moron will find a way to brick their console with it and sue.