why is everyone pirating FONV?

hoofhearted4

Much as I hate the fact I can't sell my games when I get bored of them I guess the flipside is I can delete them then reinstall anytime I want in the future on any PC I'm using.

Can't use steam because they don't have access to the internet? But somehow still can log into Nexus for mods & forums?

I don't think Steam causes piracy, I can't imagine people out there looking for games to play prefering to pirate a particular game over others just because it's Steam based.

From what I've found the games even at release are 70% cheaper to buy through Steam than at the local games store and also I don't have to wait 3 weeks for them to restock after the rush or preorder.

Edited by ozziefire

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've found the games even at release are 70% cheaper to buy through Steam than at the local games store and also I don't have to wait 3 weeks for them to restock after the rush or preorder.

This.

Not to mention, my g/f and I saved about £8 on travel for one of us going in to buy it hardcopy too.

@hoofhearted4I don't belive that Steam is going to close soon, but sooner or later almost every company does. So there's a good chance that we will experience such things, the more this kind of copy protection is getting common. But of cause this can be applied to every kind of copy protection which requires the owner to connect to the internet to either be able to install or play the game. Some companies seems to belive they are existing forever. ^^

well its not a bad thing that companies think they will last forever. as long as they dont go over the top and run themselves into the ground, its just buisness to run something that would only be successful if you lasted forever, like Steam.

like i said i have no problem with Steam. idc that i have to run third party software to play my games. i can see where ppl are coming from, but i dont mind at all. i happen to love Steam :)

hey noob question, whats the main reason people dont like DRM on FONV, is it the need to download and maintain updates for the Steam client even tho its an offline game, and the buyer may not even own a single game on Steam? or partly cause its considered sneaky advertising of their wares

lastly ive just bought FONV on Steam, but is there even some shortcoming the DRM brings to this copy?

Basically if you're not a multiplayer gamer there's a higher chance of you not appreciating Steam as it's one extra piece of unnecessary software on your system. If you are, you tend to like it.

For new Vegas some annoying steam related issues and those relating to other steam required games as well probably.

• The fact that you cant install from the disk without updating.
  • Quite often it will still try to download the entire lot with the disk version.
  • Auto update didn't used to remember don't update setting.
  • You cannot install outside of steam directory or dual install like Oblivion for test installs/for total conversions.

A lack of control basically, but there are far worst things then Steam tbh, although sick and tired of companies having steam versions of there games, yet still having a load of DRM added as well. What is the point?.

Steam is one of the less annoying DRM in history though(hello Sony rootkit/Ubisoft always stay connected rubbish).

I hope Nexus provide a way where we can link our steam account to Nexus account. If a user fails to link to his/her steam account, his/her privilege to write on comment section should be taken away.

Ever since I updated my mods to require 1.4 patch. I get questions like this:

"Your latest version doesn't work.."

"Did you download the 1.4 patch?"

"No, where can i get the patch?"

"Log in to your steam account."

"I didn't buy it from steam."

and next thing I know I get a thumb down endorsement with "User could not get the file to work."

I hope Nexus provide a way where we can link our steam account to Nexus account. If a user fails to link to his/her steam account, his/her privilege to write on comment section should be taken away.

If nexus ever comes to that then I will remove all my mods and stop interacting on here, thats just going to far.

I do not have any issues with the services Steam provides to its clients, however it should be a choice not a forced use of a third party program when I have no need or want of their services.

Its like going to a store with cash and being told oh I am sorry we only take Visa credit cards, why not get one it has great offers and provides great services. That may be true, but maybe I dont want a Visa credit card? Maybe I already have other cards and want to use those instead? Maybe I just want to use cash so I dont get tempted to spend above my means.

Forcing things on people is takeing away peoples rights and personal choices, I want to support game makers I WANT to but not to the point where I am loosing my own rights over anything.