Combat like Dark Messiah

chonotrain

As far as I have seen the combat in Skyrim, combat seems a bit too similar to bioshock 2. And I was just wondering that since bethsda bought out the company that did Dark Messiah, will they be adding a few combat features from DM? I loved the fast pacing from DM, especially the power attacks and abilities.

As far as I have seen the combat in Skyrim, combat seems a bit too similar to bioshock 2. And I was just wondering that since bethsda bought out the company that did Dark Messiah, will they be adding a few combat features from DM? I loved the fast pacing from DM, especially the power attacks and abilities.

We don't know any details if melee combat will be similar to DM.

It seems that the animations have greatily improved, and the combat looks fun.

Power attacks will be like in Oblivion, hold down a certain button, they have perks for specific weapons so that would be abilities, and there were always special moves in Oblivion, like holding A while performing a power attack, and that gives you a slight chance to disarm the opponent.

This is all speculation, we don't know anything besides the gameplay footage, so there may be some surprises here and there.

I was partially disappointed with the combat in the video. Bethesda made it look way too smooth so that the combat animations worked together nicely, but it seems a bit too slow and perfect to be in a deadly battle. The part where that bandit does his forward power attack is the biggest part of my argument, it looks way too smooth and stylish, not to mention the legs which appear to slide across the ground.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it's just what I noticed the first time I watched the video. I haven't really payed much attention to it the few other times I watched it, and can't prove myself wrong in this aspect. I don't blame Bethesda for it either, and seeing as it was only a few seconds footage, I could be far wrong. I hope to be far wrong, infact.

I was partially disappointed with the combat in the video. Bethesda made it look way too smooth so that the combat animations worked together nicely, but it seems a bit too slow and perfect to be in a deadly battle.

Yeah, at some points it looked perfectly staged to me. But at the point where he bashes the mammoth with the shield, making the giants run at him, it looked quite realistically, making me think "oh damn" when they got close enough.

I was partially disappointed with the combat in the video. Bethesda made it look way too smooth so that the combat animations worked together nicely, but it seems a bit too slow and perfect to be in a deadly battle.

Yeah, at some points it looked perfectly staged to me. But at the point where he bashes the mammoth with the shield, making the giants run at him, it looked quite realistically, making me think "oh damn" when they got close enough.

so let me get this straight, you're disappointed with combat... looking too smooth....umm ok? thats a good thing i dont see how is a bad thing usually i dont hear people going "my god this combat is way to smooth and rewarding... this is awful"

also the giants herd the mammoths so you attack the mammoths you attack the giants i thought i was perfectly clear on the video.

so let me get this straight, you're disappointed with combat... looking too smooth....umm ok? thats a good thing i dont see how is a bad thing usually i dont hear people going "my god this combat is way to smooth and rewarding... this is awful"

also the giants herd the mammoths so you attack the mammoths you attack the giants i thought i was perfectly clear on the video.

I really like the smooth combat they got. It's just some bits, like when he slashes the cobwebs, freeing the guy. Then he starts to chase him. It looks great. The moment when he stabs him in the back, however, did not look really good though. Looked a bit staged.

Yeah, I know the giants herd mammoths. What I meant is that I liked the way the giants were covering the surface as they ran towards the player, after he hit a mammoth. That moment was one of the best, I actually started to worry for the health of the guy when the giant came close. Luckily the dragon came and threw the giant away. The animations of the dragons were awesome, too. I really liked the ice dragon fight, too. The moment when the dragon got hit by a lightning - that was awesome.

Edited by Omeletter

the combat shocase was most likely staged to show how good the animations look.

that said i hope the game has combat that feels 'heavier' with less flourishes and fancy moves that break immersion as a medieval-esque warrior

Edited by monkeyboi

I understand what he means. Life and death combat isn't usually that fluid. It's more brutal, direct attacks. If combat becomes too graceful and slow, it takes on more the form of a duel or fencing match, rather then "if I don't fight my ass off, I AM going to die".

I understand what he means. Life and death combat isn't usually that fluid. It's more brutal, direct attacks. If combat becomes too graceful and slow, it takes on more the form of a duel or fencing match, rather then "if I don't fight my ass off, I AM going to die".

Fencing isn't exactly slow, in fact it's quite the opposite. If your a trained fighter your movements would be more fluid. Now, if your just a drunken brawling imbecile, or simply untrained, it's another story.